A simple way to attach and detach your arches

6 replies to this topic

#1 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

Most people know that the Big Bad Bow's arches can be taken off by prying them off with a screwdriver. Sometimes prying it off with a screwdriver can be a hassle, and it scratches up the gun. I have designed a simple way to make the arches easily detachable.
The Materials
  • 1/2in. PVC Elbow
  • 1/2in. PVC Coupler
  • 1/2in. PVC
  • hot glue
  • 2 screws with matching nuts
  • 2 hooks
  • 2 metal loops
Posted Image
Cut off the purple piece that the arches attach to.

Posted Image
Saw off the bottom half of the PVC elbow, and attach it to where the purple piece was.

Posted Image
Saw off a section of the handle directly above the bottom-most screw.

Posted Image
Cut the coupler so it has two prongs that fit into the handle. (They should fit into the gap smoothly)

Posted Image
Wedge the coupler into the gap and fasten it with hot glue.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Now get a length of PVC and attach it to the arches using a screw. Then attach a nut to the outside of the screw. Trim off any excess with a hack saw.

Posted Image
Attach a metal loop to the gun where the string normally attaches.

Posted Image
Attach a hook to the string. My hooks were made out of clothes hangars, but I am sure you can purchase some.

Posted Image
Select two colors that match your bow's color scheme.

Spray paint the parts, or leave them white.
Here is the finished product without the arches.
Posted Image

Without the arches.
Posted Image

If you have any questions feel free to comment
-A side of nerf

Edited by A side of nerf, 12 August 2008 - 06:32 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

#2 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

That's a creative way to preserve the arches, but most people take off the arches because they're not functional and just get in the way of opening the shell for modding.

Edited by umdlancer, 15 June 2008 - 10:18 AM.

#3 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

One recommendation... Paint the pvc on the arches as well.

#4 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

Honestly this seems so pointless. Why would you need to attach and dissattach the arches in the first place? The only reason I could see leaving them on is for cosmetic purposes, but even then they would just get in the way in an actual war.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#5 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Honestly this seems so pointless. Why would you need to attach and dissattach the arches in the first place? The only reason I could see leaving them on is for cosmetic purposes, but even then they would just get in the way in an actual war.

I see your point, but the reason I did this was for those who wanted to preserve their Big Bad Bow's classic look.
That way, if the gun ever comes off the market, you can put the arches on and have a classic. For me, it's mostly sedimental from when I had one of these long ago. Not to mention, I put the arches on when I occasionally LARP (archer).
-A side of nerf

Edited by A side of nerf, 15 June 2008 - 06:52 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

Although it is a strange modification, I will add it to the directory.

Who knows this could be the straw that breaks the camels back on an enormous modification idea.
Anything can happen.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 15 June 2008 - 07:26 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#7 Judging Eagle

Judging Eagle

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for adding this to the directory.

I'm working on modding and beefing up a BBB (currently disassembled; I'm going to go out today and buy the materials for Zorn Lemma's BBB Overhaul; and Fome's Fome Arrows.

The reason for my keeping the bow arms is that I need to use this for a larp; and I'd rather buy a 20$ Bow, spend maybe 5-20$ on materials; and mod it myself; than pay 60$ for a shortbow; and 12$ per arrow; each of which would need to be rebuilt for saftey; and each of which are a complete write-off if damaged (since they're now unsafe; carbon shaft arrows last; but I'll bet that I can make a ton of Fome's arrows for only a buck or so in materials each. Meaning I can use the modded BBB with more than 10 shots total (most people here have anywhere from 5-12 arrows max; and that's 100$ min for the arrows).

Plus, a nerf gun can be used anywhere. A real bow can't.

I think that's the main reason for rebuilding the bows on these guns.

I might try something a bit "larger" in terms of bow arms though (perhaps make the arms of the bow larger, and thicker, to pull attention away from the 'gun' part). I need to buy a sheet of blue insulation foam for some other things, and it sculpts really well under an Olfa brand utility knife. I've got one here that's got to be about 30 years old now. I replace the blades every so often, but the knife itself is nothing but steel and high-impact plastic. It's useless for Nerf modding though, you need a proper hacksaw, files, and a rotary tool to work with plastic.

On thread Necroing: Yeah, it's a necro, but honestly, I don't see any real threads here on doing more than paint-jobs when it comes to cosmetc re-work or modification of a nerf launcher that often has extensive internal modifications and reinforcements.

The point that I wanted to make in my post was why people would still want to re-build the cosmetic parts; as well as why people want methods to retain or build on purely cosmetic parts on a nerf gun. A lot of Nerf weapons are perfectly legal for other combat games (ranging from Airsoft, to Larping; to just plain wanting a "bow" instead of a "gun"); however, they often need to have their appearance changed, so that they don't appear anachronistic, or atleast to blend in with what you want the gun to now look like.

In the long run though; a modded nerf gun that is then "dolled up" to look like something else is going to cost less than the 200$ on a starter bow and a dozen carbon-shaft arrows. Which will still need a lot of careful work in order to remain safe. While the nerf gun relies soley on all foam darts, which nearly everyone is able to accept as safe.

This thread has given me some ideas for my current modification project, and I hope to post it and the in-development pics, and hopefully the finished product, pretty soon.

I'm sorry if my post seemed like an illegitimate necro though. I've gotten used to an other board's posting style, where necros aren't cared about, but if you start a new thread without searching, the vitriol just flies because you didn't bother to look at what has already been done. (The Gaming Den; it's mostly tabletop/RPG game design; people that can't do basic math shouldn't go there; many game design problems are how a game designer or game dev couldn't add 2 and 2 properly (and literally, couldn't do simple math)).

Edited by Judging Eagle, 27 July 2009 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users