Photo

Urban Nerf Warfare

22 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:58 PM

Has anyone ever tried NERF in an urban setting? I know that there are several drawbacks, most importantly, getting a cleared out area for warring, but I'm pretty sure on-campus HvZ is something like that.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#2 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

Closest i've got is a neighborhood. Kinda cool going through each others houses.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#3 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

In my town, there is a club called Dart Wars. It is teams of 4 which play another team each week. You can be shot anywhere except at school, work and religious ceremonies. You can go into stores and take someone out, or chase them down on the streets. No driveby's allowed, no breaking into homes or any of that stuff. The winning team gets a cash prize. DX knows more about it since he ran it one year (I think).

Edited by Silencer, 10 June 2008 - 06:35 PM.

TMC

#4 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

In my town, there is a club called Dart Wars. It is teams of 4 which play another team each week. You can be shot anywhere except at school, work and religious ceremonies. You can go into stores and take someone out, or chase them down on the streets. No driveby's allowed, no breaking into homes or any of that stuff. The winning team gets a cash prize. DX knows more about it since he ran it one year (I think).

Now THAT sounds awesome.

Edited by g-force, 10 June 2008 - 07:58 PM.

QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

Now THAT sounds awesome.

Sounds like HvZ except not on a campus
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 Vishamon

Vishamon

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

Now THAT sounds awesome.

Sounds to me more like a squad based version of assassins. I would appreciate more information on this game mode, however. For instance, how did you guys handle police relations?
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 8 2009, 08:40 AM) View Post

I think everyone who reads or contributes to this site needs to take a big stap back and reallize we're discussing nerf guns. The fate of absolutely NOTHING important depends on what you, me, or anyone else does

#7 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:11 PM

Most indoor wars are like this. My clan tends to have wars in one of the academic buildings on campus, which provides a cover-rich environment where position is more important than accuracy.

When Groove came down for PCNO, he owned at all the outdoor battles, but once we went inside, he was at a severe disadvantage for a number of reasons and did not perform as well.

Urban wars tend to teach tactics very well, as the close quarters setting tends to cut out any range advantages and requires less precision shooting. However, my clan has some pretty lousy shooting as a whole, which is why Groove and Zaxbys tore is up outside, where accuracy at range is most necessary.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#8 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:11 PM

I would also like to know that

Just searching I found This on google I found it interesting.

#9 Vishamon

Vishamon

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

In spite of coming from The Enquirer, that was an interesting, and very well written. My favorite rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisable to other players.
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 8 2009, 08:40 AM) View Post

I think everyone who reads or contributes to this site needs to take a big stap back and reallize we're discussing nerf guns. The fate of absolutely NOTHING important depends on what you, me, or anyone else does

#10 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:26 PM

This is brought up AGAIN!?!? Ive seen so many threads on this (all ending up closed) its not even funny. Its brought up quite frequently.

#11 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

Abandoned buildings are excellent for nerfing. And if you can find a large one with lots of rooms, thats the best. Another good thing is they are usually gutted, so you don't have to worry about rubbbish all over the place, while you're running around.
"Yet another nominee for the douche bag of the year award." -FA24

"Who the hell died and made everyone the Nerf prophet?" -Piney

#12 Sleebo

Sleebo

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

This is brought up AGAIN!?!? Ive seen so many threads on this (all ending up closed) its not even funny. Its brought up quite frequently.

This is a post, not a topic per se. So it has a good chance that it will not be closed because it is a new idea/topic.

On topic, I live in a suburb of Buffalo so I wouldn't want to Nerf there so I wouldn't get a cap popped in mah ass. ... But maybe I might have one of those big month-long Nerf wars over this summer around my quiet little neighborhood.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 13 2008, 09:58 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Nonsense Man @ Apr 13 2008, 05:48 PM) View Post

Ya FA24 put felt in between the bolt handles and the shell of the gun.

FA24!? is that a grade of felt or something!?

#13 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(Galaxy613 @ Jun 10 2008, 10:02 PM)

QUOTE(g-force @ Jun 10 2008, 08:57 PM)

QUOTE(Silencer @ Jun 10 2008, 05:33 PM)

Now THAT sounds awesome

Sounds to me more like a squad based version of assassins. I would appreciate more information on this game mode, however. For instance, how did you guys handle police relations?

When a police officer asks what you are doing you tell them you are playing with nerf blaster. Even let them shoot you to show they are not dangerous.

Edit; I know I screwed up the quotes.

Edited by Silencer, 11 June 2008 - 03:02 PM.

TMC

#14 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

That article just got me really angry. It's ridiculous to attempt to outlaw a game, and a sport no less. It's not like anyone is getting hurt. Sure, when you get hit, it stings, or maybe might leave a welt, but that's no reason to condemn a game as "dangerous" and "disruptive"!

Edited by Salmon, 11 June 2008 - 06:58 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#15 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

If you read the next article that concerns the rules of the game, it clearly states that all blasters must be stock except for homemades and blowguns. Stefans are allowed, but they cannot be weighted. I laughed when I got that far, thinking to myself "Well, that means pretty much every blaster on Nerf Haven can't be used."
Gimme back my bullets....

#16 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

If you read the next article that concerns the rules of the game, it clearly states that all blasters must be stock except for homemades and blowguns. Stefans are allowed, but they cannot be weighted. I laughed when I got that far, thinking to myself "Well, that means pretty much every blaster on Nerf Haven can't be used."

unweighted stefans? Those just go 2 feet if you're lucky. Sometimes they fly up and fall behind me... Also how can a stock nerf gun fire them? I guess for blowguns...

#17 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

On topic, I live in a suburb of Buffalo so I wouldn't want to Nerf there so I wouldn't get a cap popped in mah ass. ... But maybe I might have one of those big month-long Nerf wars over this summer around my quiet little neighborhood.

Just curious: did you go to UBCon?

#18 Sleebo

Sleebo

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

Just curious: did you go to UBCon?

No, I was seriously going to, but I really started to get into Nerf about 3 days AFTER UBcon. Go Bulls.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 13 2008, 09:58 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Nonsense Man @ Apr 13 2008, 05:48 PM) View Post

Ya FA24 put felt in between the bolt handles and the shell of the gun.

FA24!? is that a grade of felt or something!?

#19 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

What I don't understand is why the assistant principal is allowed to confiscate guns which he sees in cars. Is that not an invasion of their privacy? I get that they are on school property but it's in their cars. Also doesn't the assistant principal have anything better to do than look for toy guns to take away.

Another thing is that the towns cannot ban the game because it is not dangerous, and it is not against the law. The only time the police can do anything about it is when some asshole breaks into a house and the police find them. It is also keeping the teenagers out of drugs (I think). They get so caught up in the game; when would they have time for partying?

That is all I have to say on that article.
TMC

#20 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hitler gave meth and cocaine to his ss soldiers so they would not stop until they dropped.

Think of this application to NERF?
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#21 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

What I don't understand is why the assistant principal is allowed to confiscate guns which he sees in cars. Is that not an invasion of their privacy? I get that they are on school property but it's in their cars. Also doesn't the assistant principal have anything better to do than look for toy guns to take away.

Another thing is that the towns cannot ban the game because it is not dangerous, and it is not against the law. The only time the police can do anything about it is when some asshole breaks into a house and the police find them. It is also keeping the teenagers out of drugs (I think). They get so caught up in the game; when would they have time for partying?

That is all I have to say on that article.

The hardest lesson that you have to deal with until you are a legal adult is that, as a minor, you have no rights. You have little legal responsibility, but the police and overzealous school officials have basically free reign to restrict anything that minors do that could be construed as "disruptive" or "dangerous." Of course, that's pretty subject to an individual's interpretation, so the upshot is that they can ban whatever the hell they want. ESPECIALLY on school property.

I do not really approve of assassin-like game modes. I believe that they DO disrupt the normal activities of a community. If I worked hard to get a nice house in a quiet neighborhood, I wouldn't really want to have someone else's kids running through my yards screaming and firing Nerf guns at each other.

Stick to abandoned buildings, schools in off-hours, parks, or your own private property. That is the best way to avoid pissing off people in charge and getting your games banned unjustly.

Personally, I nerf at a college, and even with permission, we sometimes get a cop that comes in and tries to do the "What are YOU doing here?" thing, despite the fact that we are all legal adults, with full permission to use the building for the night. They do have a vested interest in keeping people safe, but I say that they should go out there and keep people safe, rather than go after some harmless game.

Fringe games are always like this. Paintball had the same problem.
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#22 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

In spite of coming from The Enquirer, that was an interesting, and very well written. My favorite rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisable to other players.

I think the girl in the thong is used as some sort of stun grenade. She runs across near the players, they stop to look at the near naked female, and while they are drooling over her, the other team shoots them. They would be anything but invisible, to me at least.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#23 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

We, being my friends and I, go into my basement, tip over our couches, break out our pistols, and have trench wars. When we're not doing that, we can be found having a large neighbourhood game of manhunt down our entire street in our friends houses. MY team always wins. I can drive.
EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users