Relubing An Old Gun?

Can it be done?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

Okay, so I was noticing that my SS1 gets about 1/4 of the range it used to get (yes, I'm using normal micros with it) when it was new. I pulled it apart and modded it recently (nothing special, just relocated the grip's barrel) and I noticed that it had no lubrication to create a tight seal (there was plenty of sand/dirt/dust though) I cleaned the dust out of it and it doesn't work quite as well now.

My question to you guys is: can I relube it and get it working again? I have a BBB1 that's in pretty much the same boat (cut the AR off it finally and my range dropped like a rock) If I can relube it, where could I get the right kind of lube, what kind should I use, and is there a specific brand that works well?
Gimme back my bullets....

#2 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

Get some silicone lube and give it a little squirt. I think the bottle I have is liquid wrench and I got it at lowes.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#3 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Just the other day, I opened up a DT3 to find that the rubber "seal" on the plunger wasn't doing much sealing at all.

So, I wrapped it in some teflon tape (usually found near the plumbing department). It's not really sticky, but it stayed on pretty well.

The benefits are:
1. A wider, tighter seal.
2. Lubrication without (liquid) lubricant; the teflon is a lubricant itself.

Edited by jwasko, 29 May 2008 - 02:30 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#4 karpenter63

karpenter63

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

Recently, I tried to lubricate a plunger on my LS front gun (because I was working on making it not as crappy as it already is...but it is still crap) and I first used silicone lubricant. When I did this though, if I pulled back the plunger and left it there for more than 3 seconds, when I went to pull the trigger the plunger head wouldn't move forward.

So I cleaned that off and went in search of a good lubricant. I tried to find the "o-ring lubricant" that FA_24 mentions in one of his mods, but I couldn't. So I picked up this lubricant called "Jig-a-loo" at home depot, partly because of the name, and partly because of the fact that it was neither silicone nor petroleum based and it seems to work pretty well.

Edited by karpenter63, 29 May 2008 - 05:19 PM.

Nerf...my anti-drug

Frappr - Nerfers United

#5 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

That O ring lubricant that forsaken angel uses is the shit. It is AMAZING. A little bit of it goes a long way too. It is worth asking one of us canucks to pick you up some, and ship it.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#6 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

Just the other day, I opened up a DT3 to find that the rubber "seal" on the plunger wasn't doing much sealing at all.

So, I wrapped it in some teflon tape (usually found near the plumbing department). It's not really sticky, but it stayed on pretty well.

The benefits are:
1. A wider, tighter seal.
2. Lubrication without (liquid) lubricant; the teflon is a lubricant itself.

So I cleaned that off and went in search of a good lubricant. I tried to find the "o-ring lubricant" that FA_24 mentions in one of his mods, but I couldn't. So I picked up this lubricant called "Jig-a-loo" at home depot, partly because of the name, and partly because of the fact that it was neither silicone nor petroleum based and it seems to work pretty well.

Teflon tape is meant to be a stationary seal, and is primarily used for things like gas stove connections. You're right, the teflon itself is a lubricant, but I highly doubt that it won't wear through or junk up in your plunger.

O-ring lubricant is really the ideal solution. Don't ask anyone at the store unless they are the store plumbing professional. It doesn't actually go by that name, and won't say that anywhere on the box. Mine goes by Waterproof Grease" and I got it from home depot, right in with the o-rings and other small plumbing fixtures. It's gray and round with a lot of fine print on the top, about 1/2" thick, and slightly wider than a quarter.

The package mine came in a was a piece of blue packaging cardboard, with a small, round plastic bubble around the lube container. It works wonders for paintball guns too.
Teehee.

#7 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

I tried this silione lubricant spray called Jigaloo and it irreversably ruined two of my guns. The silicone spay after being applied started to harden and leave a white crust wherever it was applied.

Maybe it is different, I don't know I have never seen it before.
I also use liquid wrench.

#8 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

O-ring lubricant, found in the plumbing section of most hardware stores. Comes in a little blue container. Best stuff I have ever used.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#9 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:05 PM

okay, so I got some really nice Silicone Grease that's working wonders. It's 90% silicone and 100% waterproof. I don't know what else is in it, but it hasn't damaged my Nerf guns since I started using it today.

#10 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

Just a random question but will paintball o-ring lub. work for nerf guns?

#11 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:57 PM

I'd expect it to. It's probably the same stuff they use at the factory in Nerf guns.

#12 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

Then why don't we all just go buy some liquid fire from wal-mart and quit looking for the lube at home depote or lowes?

#13 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:22 PM

because I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

#14 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:04 PM

because I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

Hi five, man! I don't shop at Wal-Mart either.
They're behind all the conspiracies, man! [/sarcasm]
I've tried liquid wrench, and it works very well.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#15 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

I've got some liquid wrench it works great but the liquit fire for my paintball gun works better than it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users