At2k Vs. At3k I'm A Newbie

13 replies to this topic

#1 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 12:20 PM

Hey,

I was wondering what you all think. Should I get an AT2K or an AT3K for my first modded gun?
1) Which is easier to mod?
2) Which is better, either modded or not, for a primary blaster?

Also, if you have written a review or can give me links to reviews or otherwise helpful information, it will become alot easier to make my choice!

Thanks
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#2 NinjaBob

NinjaBob

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 12:39 PM

Well, they are both great gun, but and either one would make a fine primary. Although the 2k is much easier to mod. It can get better range than the 3k, but the 3k has much better ROF. If your new though I'd suggest a 2k, if your really inexperienced or stupid single barrel it, other wise 4 barrel it.
facebook.com/gregdp

#3 Fletch

Fletch

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:13 PM

Nerfer16, I replied to you on GravityNerf.

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:18 PM

Get both, they're half off at Toys R Us.

Mod the 2k first though, it's much easier.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:41 PM

Nerfer16, I replied to you on GravityNerf.

Yes, I read it, thank you. I just wanted to get some more opinions. :D
So far everyone suggests the AT2K for a first mod, so I think I will go with it. The higher ROF of the AT3K is tempting though... :D
Nerf on!

#6 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 02:03 PM

I've got the 3K. The two extra shots are nice, but the advancing mechanism is rather poor. Also, my 3K wouldn't shoot twenty feet out of the box. I've brassed it, and it's better now.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#7 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 06:56 PM

I've got the 3K. The two extra shots are nice, but the advancing mechanism is rather poor. Also, my 3K wouldn't shoot twenty feet out of the box. I've brassed it, and it's better now.

advancing mechanism is rather poor? what are you talking about? the thing almost never fails to advance perfectly as long as you weigh at least 90 pounds. i mean, sure, it takes some strength to operate, and i don't really like the short pump-length, but don't diss the rotation mechanism, it's the smoothest mechanical system nerf has ever made.

anyways, i would have to agree with CXWQ and say "buy both". modded, i would say that the 3K is a better primary, modded properly it's a six-shot gun with an 80' foot range. they tend to dominate the Los Angeles wars. the only case in which the 2k is would be a better primary is if you're really looking for distance, because the 2k's tend to get a little more distance, maybe a little more accurate too. there's really no reason not to mod these, if you've got brass or PETG. please don't single barrel either of these guns, it's a real shame when people do that.

there's a written mod for the 3k on this site, if you haven't already found it.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#8 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 07:14 PM

I have read the review on this site. I have used Techno-Dann's AT3K, and he's right, the advancing mechanism doesn't work very well. It tends to not advance when you start pumping, so often you have to advance it by hand. And yes, we both weigh more than 90 lbs. :o

I guess you got a better gun than T-D did. I plan to start with an AT2K (Christmas is coming up fast!) and see how that goes. I like the idea of a long range, highly accurate AT2K. (And no, I will not single barrel it! :D )
Nerf on!

#9 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:21 AM

I guess you got a better gun than T-D did. I plan to start with an AT2K (Christmas is coming up fast!) and see how that goes. I like the idea of a long range, highly accurate AT2K. (And no, I will not single barrel it! ;) )

maybe you're seattle air has some affect on the rotating mechanism. i've used/owned over a dozen different 3ks, and witness the use of another half dozen, and only once was there ever a problem with the rotating mechanism, and it's because the kid didn't put the gun back together properly. anyway, i guess you just got unlucky.

as for you nerfer16, as there is no good write-up for the 2k, i'm forseeing a problem you might have as a first modifier: first off, basically the mod for th 3k is the same as the 2k, so you should follow cxwq's mod on this site. next, use brass, unless of course you can get your hands on some PETG. here's were the lack of writeup bites new modder's in the ass: getting the barrels straight on a 2k can be quite difficult. what i would reccomend doing, is drilling out the turret stubs a bit, to try and snugly fit your brass into them. now, attach some sort of wedge (i've used 1/4" vinyl tubing, to the center post of the turret. this should touch, but not really push outwards, against all four barrels. once you've got that all set, then go ahead an epoxy everything in place. i wouldn't use hot glue on a 2k, when it get's hot, your turret get's angry. my brother's fell off in the middle of a war here in Los Angeles.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#10 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 10:37 AM

I have found a few good reviews on the AT2K. One is on Foam Fortress. Another is on Webbzters web site. Your advice is appreciated though. I was planning on using epoxy instead of hot glue. By the way, what's vinyl tubing?
Nerf on!

#11 Ares

Ares

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:30 PM

here:
step #1)buy both.
step #2) brass at2k, take out of case.
step #3)brass/petg at3k, give cool paint job.
step #4) put at2k on/in at3k.
step #5) admire awesome gun/wreak havoc, you're choice(or both, not necessarly in that order)

Edited by Ares, 19 December 2003 - 12:30 PM.

The Greek God of War
Unseen

#12 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:00 PM

step #4) put at2k on/in at3k.

Ugh.

There's something to be said for simplicity.

You have a relatively compact, well-balanced gun that effectively delivers 6 shots in rapid succession and can hit anything within 50 feet. You want to make it bulkier, harder to manage, and more prone to failure?
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#13 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:05 PM

Interesting idea Ares, but for my first mod, I am going to keep things simple.
Nerf on!

#14 Ares

Ares

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:19 PM

Good pont, cxwq. I guess that idea is more appealing to me-i make my guns as sturdy as possible, and i almost never actually have wars.
The Greek God of War
Unseen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users