Photo

Combining Wires

19 replies to this topic

#1 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

What is the best way to combine wires? I don't have a sautering (sp) gun. All I really have at my disposal is etape, hotglue, and 5 bucks.

#2 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:49 PM

What is the best way to combine wires? I don't have a sautering (sp) gun. All I really have at my disposal is etape, hotglue, and 5 bucks.

Electrical tape is only a temporary solution, not a premanent one. Hot glue is not recommended as it is not a conductor, nor is it sutied for electrical applications at all.

Since soldering is unavailable to you, the best option would be wire nuts. They are much safer than e-tape and inexpensive. In fact, they're also alot easier for repairs in case something goes wrong than using solder.

Edited by badger, 18 May 2008 - 02:50 PM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#3 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

I am no electrician by any stretch of the imagination, but couldn't you just wrap the tips together?
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#4 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

I am no electrician by any stretch of the imagination, but couldn't you just wrap the tips together?

As in just bare wires? You are asking for alot of trouble if you do that. The wire nut does pretty much the same thing, but it covers the strands of the wire as well.

I work with soldering, wires and electricity for a living.

The only other option is to use a crimp splice, which can be purchased at Radio Shack.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#5 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

It depends on what you're using it for. If it's only for a couple of batteries, electrical tape (while not ideal) will work. What I generally do (when working with phone lines, transformers plugged into standard outlets, etc.) is simply strip the wire, twist the ends together, and crimp on a "bean" or "cap" (can be picked up for less than $5). It all really depends on what you're using it for, if it's for a nerf gun, just twist the wire together and put tape it over it.

#6 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

It depends on what you're using it for. If it's only for a couple of batteries, electrical tape (while not ideal) will work. What I generally do (when working with phone lines, transformers plugged into standard outlets, etc.) is simply strip the wire, twist the ends together, and crimp on a "bean" or "cap" (can be picked up for less than $5). It all really depends on what you're using it for, if it's for a nerf gun, just twist the wire together and put tape it over it.

But how long will that last? Should I just get a cap?

#7 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

Go with either a wire nut (sometimes also called a wire cap) or a crimp splice. Both are suitable for your needs.
As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#8 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

Go with either a wire nut (sometimes also called a wire cap) or a crimp splice. Both are suitable for your needs.

Alright then thats what I'll do but if theres any exposed wire left should I put some electrical tape around it?

#9 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:45 PM

If you strip off only enough insulation so as to get a good connection, when you put the wires into either the crimp or the wire nut, there won't be any.
As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#10 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

If you strip off only enough insulation so as to get a good connection, when you put the wires into either the crimp or the wire nut, there won't be any.

Thats the problem though. I already stripped two way too far.

#11 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

PM me a picture and I can help you there. At this point, we are only chatting, so this is better discussed in PM.
As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#12 Predalien Ro

Predalien Ro

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

You know, just fallow Badger's advice and then put E-tape around it till it touches the wires insolation. Or you could tiwst the wires together and get some shrink wrap around to exposed wire. They make different strip sizes to do that, you just need to be careful not to burn yourself when using the flame to get it to shrink.
Toilet paper is for your ass, not your nerf gun.
Try craft foam if you want to add cushioning to the handle.

#13 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

Instead of using fire to shrink the tubing use a hair dryer.
As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#14 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

Depends on the application. Hair dryers are too bulky and not quite concentrated enough. When I was wiring my guitar I used heat shrink tubing and I used a flame. It seems to work faster and if you are careful, you wont heat anything up that doesn't need to be heated up
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#15 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

Depends on the application. Hair dryers are too bulky and not quite concentrated enough. When I was wiring my guitar I used heat shrink tubing and I used a flame. It seems to work faster and if you are careful, you wont heat anything up that doesn't need to be heated up

I work with shrink tubing everyday. While we do use blowers that are designed to blow hotter than a standard blow dryer, it will still work. There are even normal dryer attachments that can help with the concentration issues. Their bulk is not an issue. The blowers I use at work are larger than most hair dryers.

EDIT: I talked to Kid Flash through PM and we have worked out a solution to his problem, though it isn't what he wanted to hear.

Edited by badger, 18 May 2008 - 08:41 PM.

As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#16 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

I work with shrink tubing everyday. While we do use blowers that are designed to blow hotter than a standard blow dryer, it will still work. There are even normal dryer attachments that can help with the concentration issues. Their bulk is not an issue. The blowers I use at work are larger than most hair dryers.

EDIT: I talked to Kid Flash through PM and we have worked out a solution to his problem, though it isn't what he wanted to hear.

Like more of a heat gun application? I am just talking from my experiences with heat shirnk tubing, you obviously would know, being an electrification? or what ever it is you do, anyway, glad to hear it
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#17 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:39 AM

Hey Badger. Something in your first post caught my attention and I wanted to discuss. You stated that hot glue wouldn't be a good thing to use in this application. And tho by rule I do aggree with you 100% working with wires should always be done properly with the correct tools. I'm thinking that hot glue could possibly be a viable tool in a pinch. Tho I'm not familar with hot glues resistance to the actual electrical current (I'm gonna look for my fluke and checking this when I get a chance). So long as the joint itself doesn't heat up too much Id think that it should work in low current applications. A nice TIGHT wrapping of the bare wires toghether would be just as good as a wire nut. A couple wraps of etape to keep it from shorting on anything and then a gratious ammount of hot glue to hold it all in place. This MIGHT just work if there is no other options and the job can't be put off.
Tho for anyone that finds themself working with wiring a lot I would highly reccomend dropping the cash on a decent butane soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing. The heat vent of the iron works great on the HS tubing.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#18 donz2323

donz2323

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hey Badger. Something in your first post caught my attention and I wanted to discuss. You stated that hot glue wouldn't be a good thing to use in this application. And tho by rule I do aggree with you 100% working with wires should always be done properly with the correct tools. I'm thinking that hot glue could possibly be a viable tool in a pinch. Tho I'm not familar with hot glues resistance to the actual electrical current (I'm gonna look for my fluke and checking this when I get a chance). So long as the joint itself doesn't heat up too much Id think that it should work in low current applications. A nice TIGHT wrapping of the bare wires toghether would be just as good as a wire nut. A couple wraps of etape to keep it from shorting on anything and then a gratious ammount of hot glue to hold it all in place. This MIGHT just work if there is no other options and the job can't be put off.
Tho for anyone that finds themself working with wiring a lot I would highly reccomend dropping the cash on a decent butane soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing. The heat vent of the iron works great on the HS tubing.

Why are you posting bad info? hot glue is not a good idea, considering hotglue can become soft at temps around what a hair dryer can provide. This will simply lead to problems later. if you are looking for a temp fix, use etape. Just because a person is in a pinch isn't an excuse to do things poorly. why don't you tell him to just hold the wires with his fingers if he doesn't have tape? i'm not a mod, but please don't post crap.

#19 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Donz, did you not read the entire post? He never said to use hot glue and a blow dryer at the same time. You also didn't read that Kid Flash and I talked via PM and discussed it further, so the thread is essentially closed. Black was thinking that hot glue may work to connect the wires but was going to check it for himself. I have seen pics of what he is working with and the wires he is using will not work well with e-tape. Don't go and say someone is giving bad info if you don't all the specifics. None of Kid's options will fix his problem without first replacing all the wiring, as I discussed with him.
As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#20 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:45 AM

Why are you posting bad info? hot glue is not a good idea, considering hotglue can become soft at temps around what a hair dryer can provide. This will simply lead to problems later. if you are looking for a temp fix, use etape. Just because a person is in a pinch isn't an excuse to do things poorly. why don't you tell him to just hold the wires with his fingers if he doesn't have tape? i'm not a mod, but please don't post crap.

For the love of god read the entire post and make sure you comprehend what you have read before chastizing me about giving out bad info. Actually I wasn't give out ANY info or making any suggestion to the OP. I actually read the thread and wanted to spark discussion with a member that seems like he has a solid concept of what we are talking about. Hence why my post was directed at Badger.

Edited by Blacksunshine, 22 May 2008 - 03:47 AM.

Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users