For zombie hunters

45 replies to this topic

#1 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

Crimson

This is a story I've been working on for some time now. I hope that you all will enjoy reading it as much I enjoyed writing it. I'm open to criticism and it's still a work in progress.

I'm looking forward to your reviews!

Edited by themessiahpsg1, 14 May 2008 - 11:39 AM.

OIC of 34th Light Combat Battalion, Talk to me about enlistment.

#2 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

A very interesting read. Being a hard-core zombie enthusiast, I must suggest you purchase The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. It will help you work some of the more unbelievable/ non-realistic portions out of your book. For instance, it would make more sense if they all lived on the upper floors, and the safe-house was on the roof. Also, mentioning that they disabled escalators and destroyed staircases would help. To keep themselves safest, I would build living spaces from the top down, connecting floors with retractable ladders, because zombies barely have the hand-over-hand coordination to climb a lader. Only 1 in 3 zombies will be able to get up the steps, but only 1 in 5 can climb a ladder. Finally, evacuating the main characters to somewhere west of the Rockies would boost their chances of survival. Good read though...
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#3 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

Finally, evacuating the main characters to somewhere west of the Rockies would boost their chances of survival. Good read though...

I never understood why west of the rockies was such a disireable location. Theres many major cities over there, and has many port cities that deal with asia. If anything the mid west would be the best...
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#4 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:43 PM

For maximum zombie survival potential, you want a low population density, as that will result in fewer zombies to hold off. However, the likelihood that zombies will be able to cross the rocky mountains on foot is very small. The best bet is to find a place like Leadville Colorado that's high in the mountains and is a fairly small town.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#5 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:55 PM

Have you guys read World War Z? It's the sequel to the Zombie Survival Guide and a great read.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#6 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

I LUUUURVE World War Z. I have it in hardback...

#7 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:25 PM

My fellow Green and I share more than just username color choice, apparently; I have Wold War Z in hardback as well.

#8 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:32 PM

Its good, tell us when you get the next section up.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#9 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:33 PM

Good, I'm not the only one who has worked out a potential escape route in the off chance of an undead uprising. I still need to buy world war Z though.

Edited by Cannonball, 14 May 2008 - 05:35 PM.

#10 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

I tell you where you go:

Flint, Nevada.

There's a couple houses, a chapel, and a BBQ joint. I think that's about it. Population is about or so, and it's in the middle of the desert, so you can see everything for miles around. I can only think of Wyoming as a (perhaps) better hideout.
QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#11 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

First the Zombie Survival Guide is great! Its a humor book and none of it should be taken seriously.

I have World War Z but never read past page 12. Right now I'm reading Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrel.

Also, say quarantined, infected, desolate more. Those all sound cooler and more believable.
And when you said the one dude hurt his leg, you didn't say how, and thats annoying. But good job.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#12 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

I tell you where you go:

Flint, Nevada.

There's a couple houses, a chapel, and a BBQ joint. I think that's about it. Population is about or so, and it's in the middle of the desert, so you can see everything for miles around. I can only think of Wyoming as a (perhaps) better hideout.

But how would you get supplies?

#13 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

I may post some of my own zombifiction because of this...

#14 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

I tell you where you go:

Flint, Nevada.

But how would you get supplies?

Keep in contact with any other survivors.

The town has a general store stocked with provisions and guns, and the town has a water tower. It'd be fine if you could stand the sweltering heat.
QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#15 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

Very interesting. I like it so far, and cant wait for the rest of chapter 2. Now is the web site you use free because I have a story that I've been working on in English class and would love to put it on the net, that and to have other people give me ideas and criticism about what I should do.
EDIT: Never Mind I just registered. I'm gonna start working on my story. It shares one character's David, just to let you know this name wasn't stolen. I was picking kids out of my English class to use in the story.

Edited by nerfsharpie6, 14 May 2008 - 07:30 PM.

We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#16 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

First the Zombie Survival Guide is great! Its a humor book and none of it should be taken seriously.

That type of thinking will get you killed fast! :P

At anyrate, I own both the Survival Manual and WWZ. Both great books. :ph34r:
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#17 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

One thing I do when I am bored is look at buildings and vehicles and see how they stand up against zombies.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#18 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

For an hour and a half in english class, I think about the most logical thing to do WHEN zombies attack.

#19 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

One thing I do when I am bored is look at buildings and vehicles and see how they stand up against zombies.

Noob. Raptors are a far more serious threat.

Posted Image
QUOTE(Vishamon)

#20 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:24 AM

There is a funny thing about that. Some jackass scientists are actually trying to use fragmented dinosaur DNA with that of modern birds to recreate the things. So it really is only a matter of time before I have a random tyrannosaur outside my bedroom window. I just hope I don;t have to depend on Jeff Goldblum to save my ass. He takes so logn to say something that we will both be dead before he finishes a sentence.

As far as zombies go, I am not a bad shot with a handgun. My dad is a retired cop and owns several guns. Worst case scenario, I shoot my way to a car and drive like crazy to the Poconos.
C8H18

#21 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

There is a funny thing about that. Some jackass scientists are actually trying to use fragmented dinosaur DNA with that of modern birds to recreate the things. So it really is only a matter of time before I have a random tyrannosaur outside my bedroom window. I just hope I don;t have to depend on Jeff Goldblum to save my ass. He takes so logn to say something that we will both be dead before he finishes a sentence.

As far as zombies go, I am not a bad shot with a handgun. My dad is a retired cop and owns several guns. Worst case scenario, I shoot my way to a car and drive like crazy to the Poconos.

Only destruction of the brain kills zombies. So all you need is one well placed shot. I would highly recommend a shotgun, because even though the chance of skull penetration is low, it acts as a solid wall of bullets, effectively slowing down multiple zack.

#22 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

Only destruction of the brain kills zombies. So all you need is one well placed shot. I would highly recommend a shotgun, because even though the chance of skull penetration is low, it acts as a solid wall of bullets, effectively slowing down multiple zack.

That depends on the origin of the zombie. Modern zombies are almost always biologic (created by a virus or bacterium). They are alive, just lacking any higher brain function, and incredibly cannibalistic. Movement in the human body requires energy derived from metabolizing food. For nutrients to be carried from the digestive tract to the muscles, the heart must also be working. Therefore, enough damage to the heart will still kill a zombie. And while a zombie can store enough ATP in its muscles to let it starve for a little while, oxygen is required on demand for movement. Damaging the lungs prevents the muscles from getting enough oxygen to perform any function. So a frangible round to the center of mass will stop a modern zombie.

If they are supernatural in origin, however, we are all screwed. Supernatural creatures don't even need a head (ala Sleepy Hollow) so good luck figuring out what to do. In that case, I'd be going to Rome and trying to convince the Pope to check the secret archives for anything that can kill supernatural creatures. And who knows what the Vatican is hiding? They don't let anyone look, ever. So they may have something that could help.
C8H18

#23 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

Any building in my town sucks for barricading against zombies (Class 2 or higher). The only thing that may help is we have a whole bunch of cookie cuter homes going up a couple blocks from my house so I could just hide out on the roof tops there. Worst Case scenario I go to the high school down the road and hide on the roof. I know all the access points to get on the roof at my high school. Any way the story I'm writing is almost done in my journal I just need to wait fro my approval on fan fiction to start publishing there.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#24 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

My plan for my house is to stock tons of food, water, and radios+batteries into my attic, barricade the doors and windows, destroy the stairs, then go into the attic, pull up the ladder, and wait until winter so I can escape.
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#25 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

My plan for my house is to stock tons of food, water, and radios+batteries into my attic, barricade the doors and windows, destroy the stairs, then go into the attic, pull up the ladder, and wait until winter so I can escape.

Why winter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users