[video] My First Nerf Mod- Nite Finder

a modded nf can shoot ~150 ft?

33 replies to this topic

#1 megadarren

megadarren

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

Here is a video of me firing my nf. I replaced the spring with one I got from Lowe's and now it can shoot ~150 ft slightly angled and maybe a little tailwind. :P

[VIDEO1] Shooting a target 60 feet away (More like 50 ft away)

[VIDEO 2] Shooting 117 feet FLAT (More like 97.5 ft flat)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by megadarren, 12 May 2008 - 07:51 PM.

#2 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:12 AM

Bullshit.

You really can't get 150' out of an NF, and I'm one of the guys who gets 70' flat with mine (people don't believe that either). If you have ~40mph or tailwind I'd believe you, but as it is I do not.

Edited by OfAllTheNerf, 11 May 2008 - 10:16 AM.

[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

You mean a lot of tailwind, right?

While I'll admit the shot in the video does look decently powerful, I have my doubts of a 150' range unless there was a significant amount of wind involved.

Anyways, try describing a bit more about your mod; you might get a little more positive feedback than you will posting a video and claiming a 150' NF.

OfAllTheNerf, I'm getting around 60' with mine, and I'm positive it's a very poor mod; 70' is definitely a possibility. I know Boltsniper said that his highly modded ones got 80' on a good day, although I'm not exactly sure about the specifics of the mod.

~ompa

#4 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

150 sounds like bullshit. If that NF gets 150, then in the same conditions, my longshot could get upwards of 200. And since I have range tested my longshot and it doesn't get more then 80ft, I'm calling bullshit.

Also, I think someone likes GTA4 a bit to much, thats kinda obsessive. You may want to look to that.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#5 biofreak2

biofreak2

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

The only Nitefinder that I know of that can get +100 feet is analogkid's Daedalus.
Here in Wardog Clan we don't yell "FOR SPARTAAAAAAAA" we yell "FOR SUPERFOODTOWNNNNNNN", ya know mix things up a bit.

#6 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

pfffffttttt 150ft! To get that angled you would have to get well over 100ft flat. Also you use the suction darts which are total shit, so there is no way your telling the truth.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#7 megadarren

megadarren

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

pfffffttttt 150ft! To get that angled you would have to get well over 100ft flat. Also you use the suction darts which are total shit, so there is no way your telling the truth.

i use modified suction darts. if u wrap the tip with electrical tape it makes them fit much more snugly in the barrel and u get a lot more distance.

geez why is 150 ft so hard to believe? i just walked outside and fired a shot with about 0 wind and got 126 ft. yes i angle the gun about 35 degrees but so what. its not like i claimed to shoot 150 ft flat.

#8 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

That looks powerful, but there's no way it will reach 150, especially if you're using suction cup darts. What are you trying to pull? This is not a good start for you, here on NH.

EDIT: 35 degrees? That's not slightly angled!

Edited by Captain, 11 May 2008 - 11:05 AM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#9 megadarren

megadarren

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

i just took a video of me firing a shot that traveled about 150 ft. however after the dart leaves the gun it goes completely out of sight so when i walk to it and pick it up off the ground it looks like it was planted there. ill put the vid up if u guys want but im kinda hesitant because i think it will bring a lot more hate. who knew that claiming a gun can shoot 150 ft would stir up such a commotion?! :P

#10 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

who knew that claiming a gun can shoot 150 ft would stir up such a commotion?!

You sir, have obviously not been here for very long...
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#11 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

Do feel free to defend yourself, but do so while following the Code of Conduct.

People are in disbelief because even angled, 150' is very hard to believe, unless there is a lot of wind involved. The NF just doesn't seem to have the power necessary to achieve such ranges.

People here attempt to keep their ranges posted at flat or very, very low angles, as it creates a standard for people to judge their ranges by. Angled ranges generally aren't accepted or well-loved here.

At this point you can either post the vid and attempt to defend yourself, or try to hope the topic dies. I wouldn't bother posting the video unless you're walking out there with a giant tape measure. Walking to the dart fired without any sort of measuring tape probably isn't going to cut it.

~ompa

#12 Crimmy

Crimmy

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

this sounds like the same kid that clammed he got 200+ feet on his longshot, Pretty sad if you ask me that you would lie about a plastic toy gun.

#13 megadarren

megadarren

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

this sounds like the same kid that clammed he got 200+ feet on his longshot, Pretty sad if you ask me that you would lie about a plastic toy gun.

heh, i actually think its pretty sad that this community actually thinks that a person would lie about a plastic toy gun. :P why WOULD i lie? i just wanted to post the vid here because this is where i found the modification for the gun so i figured id show the results.

#14 StephenColbert

StephenColbert

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

Your nightfinder shoots pretty good from what the video shows. If that target was indeed 60ft away, you've got a powerful nightfinder there, but I don't know about 150ft though. I think you ought to test the ranges flat, because sometimes darts will go ridiculously far if you angle it sometimes. And also describe your testing conditions: slope of land, temperature, possibility of bounce, etc. And a more thorough description of your mod would be nice.

EDIT: And you are using at least a 100ft tape measure aren't you?

Edited by StephenColbert, 11 May 2008 - 11:54 AM.

Write me in for President!
Colbert 08'

#15 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

In the video, it looked like it was loosing a bit of power around 5-10ft before it hit the target.

60ft: definitely

80ft: maybe

90ft: slight chance

150ft: no fucking way

Edited by ultra920, 11 May 2008 - 11:58 AM.

There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#16 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

heh, i actually think its pretty sad that this community actually thinks that a person would lie about a plastic toy gun. :P why WOULD i lie? i just wanted to post the vid here because this is where i found the modification for the gun so i figured id show the results.

I have no clue why you would lie, but it's quite possible for the same reason why a lot of other people lie. I've been here long enough to see outrageous claims about how far a plastic toy gun fires, and I still have no idea why people try to claim ranges that just don't seem possible. So, you tell us why someone would lie, because I know the majority of posters thus far tend to not inflate their range claims, or at least not to a level that is ridiculous.

I still will hold the possibility that wind played a significant factor, and thus the ranges might be somewhat valid, as stock darts are a lot more prone to the effects of wind than the stefans the majority of the members here use.

And fix your posting. Capitalization is required you know. You did a good job of it in your first post, please do continue in that fashion.

Listen to Colbert; post details of your mod, or what mod you did, and describe conditions. I can believe the ranges under the correct conditions, but under any conditions that most of the members here would consider "normal", your ranges don't make a whole lot of sense.

And guys, at this point, it might be enough questioning of his ranges. Allow him to explain himself, or let the topic die, there isn't much of a point to wasting any more energy berating the guy.

~ompa

#17 megadarren

megadarren

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

Alright, you all will love me for this one. :P As suggested, I went out and measured how far my gun will shoot FLAT instead of angled. The results? Well, I picked the dart up about 117 feet away.

First let me make something clear; I am not claiming that my gun can shoot 117 feet flat. This is a very rough measurement just to get an idea of how well the mod works.

There was virtually no wind outside. I can't promise that the shot was exactly 0 degrees but it was as close as I could make it. I did not see the dart bounce forward very much, but I am sure that you all know when a dart hits the ground it doesn't really skid but kind of just flies upward a bit and dies. But just to be fair lets just say that the dart bounced forward 15 feet (though in reality its nowhere near this far.) I measured my paces, and each step I take is roughly 3 feet. I am 6' tall, if you doubt the accuracy of this you can measure yourself against a yardstick. Obviously, this method of measuring is not very accurate at all. But I'd like to reiterate that the main point of my post was so that you all can get an idea of the success of my mod, and NOT to brag about firing distance. I had no idea that claiming a gun could shoot 150 feet would be so farfetched. I actually thought there would be some hardcore modders here who got insane ranges out of their NF, like 200-300 feet. lol.

This is what I WILL claim though. My modified NERF Nite Finder shoots at LEAST 90 feet flat. I am sure by watching the videos you can all agree that this is reasonable. I own the gun and have fired it many times and I know I am not making it up.

Also, I'd like to add that the dart I used to shoot the target 60 ft away does not fly as far as the dart I used to shoot 117 ft. Why? Because the second dart has more electrical tape around it and fits tighter in the barrel. I have tested both darts, and the second one flies MUCH farther. It is true that different darts fly different distances.

For the mod, I can't tell you specifics as this was done a long time ago, I just took the videos recently. I do know that the spring was bought at Lowe's, it might be called the Handyman spring. Whatever it is though I'm sure it can be found in this forum because this is where I got the idea for the mod anway. I did not cut the spring at all. I somehow wedged it in the casing. It goes all the way to the end of the gun case, it doesn't sit in the slots like the original spring did. Regular PVC pipe for the barrel, reinforced the end of the plunger with some spare plastic parts from inside the gun, and glued the heck out of it with some super strong orange-colored Elmers Glue and a little hot glue.

Ok, here is the latest video.

[VIDEO] Nite Finder shoots 117 feet flat

#18 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

I still have a very hard time believing the ranges, but I will say what you did right there is an excellent demonstration of how to properly defend your ranges or yourself. Reasonable and with a video.

I do admit that you have one abnormally powerful NF there, but to be honest, I still have a hard time believing those ranges. Regardless, I'll try to pick up a NF myself and do some testing with the stock dart/pvc/e-tape combo. Given, I won't have a handyman spring handy (ha.), but if for some reason I end up with 70' ranges, I might be a little more willing to believe what you've got there.

Yeah, sorry man, it's hard to convince people here that a simple NF is able to shoot that far. I've seen at least 20-30 NF mods over the years, and none of them were able to shoot that far. The furthest I've ever seen is around 80', so a 20'+ increase does (I hope understandably) bring about considerable doubts, especially considering the simplicity of the mod you did was, from what you've described.

And until you get a tape measure and literally measure the distances you have, I doubt you'll do much convincing of the members here; while pacing does work, the accuracy can end up off by several feet after enough paces. And judging by the video, I'm willing to at least believe that there is a possibility that you might actually get around 80' with that thing.

As for the spring, if it doesn't sit in the slots, it would interfere with the catch mechanism of the NF; how did you get around that issue? I'm interested to see how you did that (internal shots if possible).

Also, you have to realize that the Nerf Crossbow, even with industrial spring replacements and improved plunger head seals, get around 120', and the plunger tube size is considerably larger than a NF. To get that much power out of a NF, even when a much more powerful gun can get the same ranges, elicits a lot of doubt.

~ompa

#19 megadarren

megadarren

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

As for the spring, if it doesn't sit in the slots, it would interfere with the catch mechanism of the NF; how did you get around that issue? I'm interested to see how you did that (internal shots if possible).

~ompa

The plunger tube is correctly placed in the back of the gun, but the end of the tube goes all the way to the end of the gun casing in the front. Normally, I think there are two tiny screws that keep the plunger tube fixed inside the gun casing. I did not do this because the new spring was too firm and didn't like being compressed that much.

Edit: OOPS!!! I MADE A BOO-BOO!

So with this doubt about the ranges I tried to re-measure as best as I could. I originally stated that my paces are roughly equal to 3 feet. In actuality, they are closer to about 30 inches. :P tee-hee!

This means that my claim that my gun shoots 150 ft is actually more like 125 ft. The shot at 0 angle that traveled 117 ft is actually 97.5 ft. And when I shot Niko Bellic from 60 ft I was closer to 50 ft away.

Ah, all in a days work. Piss off an entire community because of my ignorance. Oh well...so long! :blush:

Edited by megadarren, 11 May 2008 - 01:21 PM.

#20 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

~ompa

The plunger tube is correctly placed in the back of the gun, but the end of the tube goes all the way to the end of the gun casing in the front. Normally, I think there are two tiny screws that keep the plunger tube fixed inside the gun casing. I did not do this because the new spring was too firm and didn't like being compressed that much.

Edit: OOPS!!! I MADE A BOO-BOO!

So with this doubt about the ranges I tried to re-measure as best as I could. I originally stated that my paces are roughly equal to 3 feet. In actuality, they are closer to about 30 inches. :P tee-hee!

This means that my claim that my gun shoots 150 ft is actually more like 125 ft. The shot at 0 angle that traveled 117 ft is actually 97.5 ft. And when I shot Niko Bellic from 60 ft I was closer to 50 ft away.

Ah, all in a days work. Piss off an entire community because of my ignorance. Oh well...so long! :blush:

Wow. Honestly, you just manned up to the claim being false. That takes something alot of other people don't like to do. At first I thought it was another hew member who didn't know what they were talking about but now. Good show man.

I was irritated a little before, but you handled it with grace, proper spelling and grammar. You won't get banned for that type of behavior.

Welcome to the Haven
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#21 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

I think the worst you've done is annoy people, and that's all.

Watching that video makes me cringe; I'm just waiting for that NF to blow apart when you fire it.

At this point, I feel that the thread deserves to be closed; if you've got internal shots, or want to elaborate on the mod you did, feel free to post a new topic; this one is fucked up enough as is.

And try to avoid pacing as a system of measurement; stick with the measuring tapes, or if you're like me and are in a place where there are a bunch of carpet squares of the same size, count the number of pre-cut squares.

You did a good job defending yourself; NH is not known for its kindness. Welcome to NH, feel free to PM me with questions and/or complaints.

EDIT: Seeing how many people are still reading the thread, I'll leave it open; but let's keep it constructive, if at all possible.

~ompa

#22 StephenColbert

StephenColbert

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Hey man, that's more like it. I can believe the ranges you are saying now.
Now that you've proved this, I want to know how it is done. Make a writeup for this gun. From your description, it sounds like you may have glued shut the case, and if that's the case, go buy a new nightfinder. I know I want to know exactly how you did this, and so will others.

Looking forward to internal pics!
Write me in for President!
Colbert 08'

#23 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:31 PM

It sounds like he did this mod (this needs to go in the directory... It's a great mod) to his Nitefinder. If this is the case, then the 90 something foot ranges seem a lot more legitimate. Add in dart skip (which is actually quite a bit on asphalt) and you'll end up with something very similar to what Oodalumps got with his Nitefinder. Increasing the draw would also explain why the dart with more e-tape did so much better. More time to pressurize with a longer plunger draw = more distance.

#24 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

Clearly the way the dart took off demonstrates that NF has a fair amount of power, it very plausible that it could get the ranges he is claiming.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#25 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

First of all, the 60 ft video looked to be about a 30-40' shot. Lolly columns are, by code, 10' apart, pending on the beam and the load that they're supporting. Judging by that you were nowhere near 60'. I would like proof of distance for that.

I don't believe the 150' either. The stock darts, even though they suck, still bounce and travel post landing.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users