Magstrike: Won't Fire Off A Clip?

Most of the time anyways...

17 replies to this topic

#1 Meleeboy0

Meleeboy0

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

I just found a Magstrike sealed in the box at a Goodwill the other day for about 6 bucks (You wouldn't believe how many crossbows I've found there), and at first it seemed fine. After a few times using it though, it won't fire off a clip. I pumped and filled the bladder until it started hissing and when I pulled the trigger, it would probably shoot of one or two darts, then continue to hiss some more. I know the bladder is fine, I somehow think it's the piston.

Is there a known fix for this?

Also, I wanted to share an idea I had on the clip. What if you were to cut it out so that there is only 1 hole in the end of the piston, then I guess you would have to rebuild the clip to mimic the little etchings in the side. This way, more air flow would be concentrated on each dart, thus shooting the darts further.

Each of the barrels could be made from CPVC. And if the original clip could be completely disassembled, I might be able to remold certain pieces with a two part silicone mold to duplicate the crucial parts. I also thought maybe it would be a better idea to relocate the pump plumber closer to the backside so to allow for more room in the clip area. This would also provide extra room where you can use Captain Slug's 20 round clip mod.

Before I begin doing my idea, I'd like to hear now rather than later any reasons why they won't work. You know, before I screw up my gun, not after. =P And any help on my original problem would be appreciated aswell. Thanks.

#2 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

First, open up the MS and look around the internals. If there is no obvious problem, submerge the internals and pump and fire it(keep the pump above the water). If there are any bubbles, you know where to look for a hole.

If it still doesn't work, ask for more help.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#3 Meleeboy0

Meleeboy0

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

First, open up the MS and look around the internals. If there is no obvious problem, submerge the internals and pump and fire it(keep the pump above the water). If there are any bubbles, you know where to look for a hole.

Do you really think there is air escaping? I noticed ForbiddenAngel said he had a corrupt piston on his and I think I may have a similar problem.

#4 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:29 PM

There's no leak. There's a white cylindrical piece with wings on it that goes over the very end of the piston assembly and seals with the clip. It has black felt-like material on the end of it and two holes side by side, and when the clip moves up that piece hits the back of it and one hole is covered while the other lets air out through a barrel; that's why the barrels in the clip are staggered.

That winged piece has probably slipped out of place and you'll just need to put it back in. It goes over the end of the piston and the wings fit in grooves on the inside of the gun's shell. I've had this problem with both of my Powerclips.

Here's a shitty picture to show you what I mean. The piece I'm talking about is in the upper right corner, all you can see of it is part of a white cylinder.

Posted Image

Edited by NerfMonkey, 05 May 2008 - 08:29 PM.

SexD Warves

#5 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

Do you really think there is air escaping? I noticed ForbiddenAngel said he had a corrupt piston on his and I think I may have a similar problem.

I had a dud piston too.

edit: Nerfmonkey I doubt that's the issue. The thing fired properly before... the air leak would be in the piston somewhere.

Edited by min.tee, 05 May 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#6 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

edit: Nerfmonkey I doubt that's the issue. The thing fired properly before... the air leak would be in the piston somewhere.

The piece being in the right place before and then slipping out of place (which is what happened to my PCs) would account for the gun suddenly not working anymore.

And like I said, I don't think there's a leak at all. It's tough to say because I don't know what meleeboy meant by "hissing" but it sounds a lot like what I've had problems with.

If you pump the gun and don't pull the trigger and the bladder holds air there isn't a leak, obviously. But if it leaks even when the trigger's not pulled my advice is useless. Sorry I can't be of more help.
SexD Warves

#7 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

My friend's RF20 is also acting up like that, now that I think about it. Few shots, then hiss.

NerfMonkey, I never said that his air leak was in his bladder. On my weaksauce MS and my buddy's RF20 we witnessed the same issue. The air holds in the bladder, for god knows how long. The only problem is the piston. Let me further explain.

The first one or two shots fire absolutely fine. Then it just hisses. He's holding down the trigger still, but the air no longer builds up inside the piston. When there's no air buildup in the piston, it won't fire. If air is leaving through the front of the gun, though, then it means that o-ring that seals the opening to the piston (not the one that touches the white winged piece) is loose or corrupted; otherwise I'm not sure what it could be.

The hissing is because air is leaving the bladder the right way, but doesn't build up in the piston, so it hisses out somewhere.

The winged piece would have nothing to do with the air leak in the piston. A perfectly fine stock one will build up air pressure and operate fine with or without it in place, just that the air wouldn't be directed to the barrels on the clip.

I wish this thread was yesterday, then I could have thought this up and checked his RF20 out at his house -_-

#8 Meleeboy0

Meleeboy0

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:53 PM

Nerfmonkey: I'm pretty sure that piece is on correctly.

I seem to have another speculation of what the problem is. I noticed that if I hold it upright correctly and pump it normally, not fast, and then I fire directly after I finish pumping, it works like a charm. HOWEVER! If I wait for any time at all, it seems to have the same problem as before. I doubt there is a leak in the actual bladder, but Keef pmed me and told me I might need to plug the bladder (which is exactly what I plan to do soon). Also, if I try to pump it really fast and I move the whole thing back and fourth too fast, it will have the same effect and fizzle out.

I'll take it apart and stick the bladder under water and see what happens. Hopefully I won't have to take the bladder out of my wildfire.

Edited by Meleeboy0, 05 May 2008 - 10:00 PM.

#9 spandxbunny

spandxbunny

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:54 AM

I had a similar problem with my Mag which I attributed to my clip fitting too tightly. I just did some shaving down where I noticed it was sticking and now all is well. So, just another possible variable. Good Luck in your quest for a solution.

#10 Meleeboy0

Meleeboy0

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:09 PM

I had a similar problem with my Mag which I attributed to my clip fitting too tightly. I just did some shaving down where I noticed it was sticking and now all is well. So, just another possible variable. Good Luck in your quest for a solution.

Well yes I thought about this, but I ruled it out when I took it apart and found that sometimes the piston doesn't go back and fourth like it should.

#11 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:58 AM

I thought that:

1. There is a small crack in the bladder or

2. The piston and it's o-ring needs lube.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#12 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:25 AM

I thought that:

That piston is a bitch to take apart isn't it? >_<

#13 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

I just heard the problems and made a diagnosis based on the symptoms.

1. Trouble holding air = bladder

Stored improperly (Good Wills have too much air conditioning which will dry out the bladder) = cracks in bladder

2. Improper dispersion of air = leak/piston issues

Lack of use = dry parts

Dry parts = bad seal (CLUB A SEAL)

Call me House...
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#14 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

I thought that:

All you do is pull off the front part that has the foam seal thing on it; the part that actually touches the back of the magazine. It should take no tools and approx. 0.5 seconds.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#15 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

If the magstrike looks like new just go buy one from walmart, target, etc and put your broken one in the box and return it. Works for me.

#16 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

I had the same problem with mine a while ago. After probing around my magstrike, I found that my piston was placed too far foward. There is a little ridge where the piston meets the shell, and the ridge of the shell fits between the ridges of the piston or else that will happen. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, I'll try to find a picture.
SuperGeek.

#17 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:05 AM

I thought that:

All you do is pull off the front part that has the foam seal thing on it; the part that actually touches the back of the magazine. It should take no tools and approx. 0.5 seconds.

I'm referring to the INSIDE of the piston.

#18 Meleeboy0

Meleeboy0

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

Lynx: I don't think it was Good Will's air conditioning, it was in the box still even.

Kid Flash: I really think that's a low thing to do personally, I mean I bought the thing for 6 bucks.

Swords: If you do have pictures, that would be helpful. I notice SOMETIMES it will go back and fourth, but other times it won't. So I'm starting to think more and more it is a bladder problem. I'll try to get around to checking it out underwater this weekend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users