Blast Hammer Modification

Weekly Contribution - PETG Barrel

15 replies to this topic

#1 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

I know some of you will probably be disappointed with this write-up, but there is no modification in the Directory on the Blast Hammer, and I think it’s a neat little gun, so I hope you’ll all forgive me. I also didn’t have a ton of time this week, and I’m working on a larger write-up ATM…

I was also going to go Carbon on this one, but decided against it because it felt so nerfy in my (rather large) hands when stock.

PLEASE DO NOT POST UNTIL IT IS DONE- THERE WILL BE A FINISHED PRODUCT PICTURE.

Anyways, here it is.

Posted Image

Cut off the original barrel.

Posted Image

You might have noticed that the hole which the air comes through is rather small, so we have to widen it. Drill through with your favorite bit, but hold the plunger back while doing so to avoid drilling into the plunger head. Also try to avoid drilling so fast that the plastic melts, as it could completely block the hole (you’d just have to drill through again, but it saves time).

Posted Image

It should look something like this when finished.

Posted Image

Now wrap e-tape around the barrel stub until a three inch piece of Highest Grade Premium Thick Walled OMC PETG will fit snugly on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now Goop/Epoxy it on. Hot glue might work too, due to the small and slow air-output of the gun, which we’ll change later…

Posted Image

Now flip it around and look at the cocking handle/thing.

Posted Image

Cut two thinnish slits in it, big enough for a kitchen rubber-band to fit on (the ones you get at Roche Bros./ whatever supermarket you go to).

Posted Image

Now you can put 2-3 rubberbands on (three shown).

Posted Image

After about 5 shots during range testing (with three bands on) the front end of the Hammer blew off. It’s likely it’ll do this on others, so I remedied the situation. First, take a look at both parts.
Posted Image
You can take this opportunity to widen the hole even more.

Posted Image

Now rough up the endcap and the place it slides onto.

Posted Image

Then glue it on with a strong adhesive (I prefer Goop). To make sure it stays as far back as it should use your bands and wrap them around the front part and the end. For cosmetic purposes make sure that the ‘sight’ lines up between the ammo holders as it did originally.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished product

Posted Image

Posted Image

Darts hit 45’ consistently with 3 bands, most reach around 50-53', and the max I’ve had is 60’. Not bad, if I do say so myself...

Again, I apologize to those of you who are disappointed with this mod, but hopefully I’ll make up for it in the near future.

Questions? Comments?

-OfAll’

Edited by OfAllTheNerf, 03 May 2008 - 07:29 PM.

[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#2 Scotch

Scotch

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

That's really cool. You should bring it to the war tomorrow, just for kicks.

Is it pockitable with the new barrel?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Woah, woah, slow down there buddy. If you put it ALL in your mouth at once you're just gonna gag and get it all over the carpet.

#3 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

That's really cool. You should bring it to the war tomorrow, just for kicks.

Is it pockitable with the new barrel?

Sure will do.

It is pocketable, but totally impractical because of the handle type.

#4 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

So this is a pull and release gun, right? Cuz I don't see any trigger.

Great mod though, if a little dissapointing. It's impressive that you can pump out a new mod every week, even if they are simple.

And what did you mean by "go Carbon" on it?

Edited by Maeric, 03 May 2008 - 08:22 PM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#5 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:53 PM

So this is a pull and release gun, right? Cuz I don't see any trigger.

Great mod though, if a little dissapointing. It's impressive that you can pump out a new mod every week, even if they are simple.

And what did you mean by "go Carbon" on it?

Yeah, sorry I didn't specify that.

I was going to use a SNAP trigger to make this a trigger/cocking gun, but decided against it. Too much time and wastes space, plus it makes it huge.

-OfAll'

#6 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

Nice mod. Very clear and easy to read write-up (like usual).
TMC

#7 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

Thats pretty cool. Nice mod. I don't think any one will be disappointed with this.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#8 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:07 PM

Ahmazing. I actually have one of these, I used to play with it all the time when I was little. I found it but I wanted to keep it stock for nostalgic purposes.

#9 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

I don't think anyone will be dissapointed, I mean something the size of a maverick plunger or a little bigger gets better ranges than the actual maverick...

Edited by bogboogalars, 03 May 2008 - 10:10 PM.

#10 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:47 AM

Silencer: Thank you.

Dayko: Thanks, I hope not... :(.

Analog kid: Thanks. I would also keep it stock, as this doesn't really have any war potential anyways.

Bogboogalars: Thanks. As for plunger size it is quite a bit bigger than a maverick, but it consistently outranges it.

Thanks everyone,

-OfAll'

#11 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

Wow! When I was younger I always searched NerfCenter hungrily looking at all the old guns, and this was my favorite! I like it. A simple mod for a simple gun. how strong is the stock spring, and do you think that could be replaced too?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#12 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

Wow! When I was younger I always searched NerfCenter hungrily looking at all the old guns, and this was my favorite! I like it. A simple mod for a simple gun. how strong is the stock spring, and do you think that could be replaced too?

Thank you.

The stock spring isn't too bad, about the strength of a Mav or maybe a little less. Once the front blows off you could pop the end piece off the back of the plunger rod and then add another spring. I didn't do it in fear of breaking the plunger rod, and lack of a good replacement/addition. But yes, you could definitely do a replacement.

I'd be interested in buying one of these from someone if they have a spare, just to do the above said.

-OfAll'

#13 Predalien Ro

Predalien Ro

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

You know All the Nerf, with all these write ups, you would think the admin would give you your contribitor title already!

Edited by Predalien_Ro, 07 May 2008 - 10:07 AM.

Toilet paper is for your ass, not your nerf gun.
Try craft foam if you want to add cushioning to the handle.

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

Clean write up.

Couple of suggestions.

Relube the plunger head.
Create a plunger cushion with a toilet gasket.
Wrap some E-tape around the plunger head. This of course only if it needs it. I have acquired two of these so far and both have excellent stock seals.

Looking forward to this big write up.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#15 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:40 PM

You know All the Nerf, with all these write ups, you would think the admin would give you your contribitor title already!

Look at Carbon. CS, FA, Cartoon, Boltsn!per.

They all have lots of cool mods and writeups. But thats not why they are contributers.

Its because they contribute all around, not just with one area.

Carbon may be the god of spring homemades, but you see him still offer insight on everything else.
CS and FA, don't even get me started.

Bolt, he has so many cool homemades, but he also helps anyone out with them (when he was active).

I think Ofall' will get it in time though.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#16 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:42 AM

Forsaken: I agree with the relubing, I guess I forgot... I also should've added some sort of padding, but that also slipped my mind. As for the seal, I agree it is pretty much perfect. If I put my hand over the barrel and pull back, the plunger head will stop about half way down.

As for the big write-up, it might be a while... Schools been rough, and it might not be as great as you would expect. It's going to cost alot on my part, too... You'll probably be dissapointed, but we'll see.

Keef: I don't expect to be made a contributor any time soon, if ever. I just do this because I thought it would be good to finally start contributing to the community. I agree that CS, FA, Bolt, Carbon are way above my league. I'm going to start trying to make my write-ups bigger and badder, though. The problem is, though, all my 'insane' stuff usually ends up being bulky and impractical...

Thanks everyone.

-OfAll'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users