Nitefinder Barrel Replacements

PVC

13 replies to this topic

#1 RustInPeace117

RustInPeace117

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

I just got like 10 ft of PVC (1/2 in, sch 40) and I was wondering if it can shoot stock taggers or micros properly on a Nitefinder with it.

#2 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

I would recomend using a crayola marker with some e tape around it and put the pvc over it so that it would make a seal with the foam and rubber tip. That would be your best shot.

#3 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

You need to nest something in it... Like a crayola barrel.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#4 RustInPeace117

RustInPeace117

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

What size PVC do I need to nest it over the Crayola barrel?

#5 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

1/2" PVC pipe.

I recommend 1/2" CPVC (beige/ tanish) pipe for stock darts. Just use 2 inches of that. Or if you plan to use stefans later, try 4 inches of 9/16" brass. You can get it all at True Value hardware stores/ Ace.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#6 RustInPeace117

RustInPeace117

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

So, i nest it on a 1/2 PVC over a Crayola barrel and it could shoot stock darts? Would it be better than just CPVC alone?

#7 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

So, i nest it on a 1/2 PVC over a Crayola barrel and it could shoot stock darts? Would it be better than just CPVC alone?

Personally, I find that CPVC almost always has a decent fit, whereas other options may or may not work, depending on darts, etc.

#8 RustInPeace117

RustInPeace117

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Can 1/2 inch PVC fit over 1/2 inch CPVC or should I use 1/2 inch CPVC alone for like a Nitefinder.

#9 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

Can 1/2 inch PVC fit over 1/2 inch CPVC or should I use 1/2 inch CPVC alone for like a Nitefinder.

Personally I wouldnt do either. The cpvc will fit if you hammer it in. Just find what fits your foam.

#10 RustInPeace117

RustInPeace117

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

Personally I wouldnt do either. The cpvc will fit if you hammer it in. Just find what fits your foam.

So should I get 1/2 inch CPVC rather than a Crayola barrel with PVC nested on it? Also, how does nesting a barrel make it better? And, can you nest 1/2 inch PVC on 1/2 inch CPVC? Thanks in advance.

#11 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

Nested springer barrels work this way:

1) The dart is loaded into a smaller-diameter inner barrel near the plunger tube.

2) The gun is fired. The tighter fit of the dart in the barrel means more friction, which means that more pressure can build up behind it before the dart starts moving. This means an increase in power and range.

3) When the pressure reaches a level where it can overcome the inertia and pressure of the dart, the dart begins moving. As it transitions from the tighter to the looser barrel segment, the friction drops. The dart then picks up speed as a direct result.

This system is an improvement over traditional barrels in that it allows more pressure to build up from the compression of air in the plunger tube. This greater pressure means better ranges and power. This is why tighter barrels are recommended for springers; they permit this rise in pressure compared to standard loose barrels for air-powered guns.

Generally, CPVC tends to work better than a crayola barrel. It is more uniform and tight on the dart. Plus, there is much less work to do (you only have to cut one piece, rather than hollow out a marker and nest it in a piece of PVC that you also have to cut.).

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 29 April 2008 - 09:20 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#12 RustInPeace117

RustInPeace117

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

Nested springer barrels work this way:

1) The dart is loaded into a smaller-diameter inner barrel near the plunger tube.

2) The gun is fired. The tighter fit of the dart in the barrel means more friction, which means that more pressure can build up behind it before the dart starts moving. This means an increase in power and range.

3) When the pressure reaches a level where it can overcome the inertia and pressure of the dart, the dart begins moving. As it transitions from the tighter to the looser barrel segment, the friction drops. The dart then picks up speed as a direct result.

This system is an improvement over traditional barrels in that it allows more pressure to build up from the compression of air in the plunger tube. This greater pressure means better ranges and power. This is why tighter barrels are recommended for springers; they permit this rise in pressure compared to standard loose barrels for air-powered guns.

Generally, CPVC tends to work better than a crayola barrel. It is more uniform and tight on the dart. Plus, there is much less work to do (you only have to cut one piece, rather than hollow out a marker and nest it in a piece of PVC that you also have to cut.).

Thanks so much. So, could you nest PVC on CPVC? Also, do you just put the PVC over the barrel to nest it? Thanks.

#13 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

Yes, and yes. However, nesting the two will require a bit of work, as it's a very tight fit, and some sanding may be required.

~ompa

#14 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

Yes, and yes. However, nesting the two will require a bit of work, as it's a very tight fit, and some sanding may be required.

~ompa

A sledge hammer works well for me... Its a small one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users