Photo

Longshot Co2 Mod Concept

9 replies to this topic

#1 Viper Bravo

Viper Bravo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hey All, I have a original concept for a custom longshot mod of my own, but I nee to bounce the idea around and WILL need help from the forum to do this. My idea is simple in concept, Gut the innards of a decent paintball gun and mod them into a longshot with the brass breach and barrel mods. So... How dose it sound, the concept i mean? The reason I am thinking of a CO2 mod is for the ease of refilling a standard paintball CO2 canisters. I am going to use a paintball gun with a electric firing Etrigger for controlled use of the Co2. I know in a normal PB gun the co2 also moves a bolt forward that kicks the ball down the barrel, then the Co2 propels it, so this will obviously not be in the design. Ill have a mockup design up soon.

If anyone has experienced with Paintball guns ill need a sounding board to talk to.

What do you all think? Also i use stock streamlined darts in the longshot now, they fly a lot better than the ammo it comes with.

Edited by Viper_Bravo, 28 April 2008 - 10:20 AM.

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

First off, the Longshot comes with streamline darts.

Second, CO2 is not exactly good for the plastics in the LS, or the darts.

Third, if you're not using the CO2 to get semi-auto, then there really isn't a point to wasting a good paintball gun; just build a sturdy PVC tank, or get the right fittings and attach them directly to an HPA tank instead, and use it as a reservoir to fill a small airtank stuck into in the Longshot.

Lastly, fix your posts. The amount of spelling errors in your post is almost making me cry. Follow the Code of Conduct, and you'll find your stay here much longer, and possibly much more pleasant.

~ompa

#3 TAiLsChaser

TAiLsChaser

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

It's not original because that's where I started. I'm an ex-paintballer and have used my last two guns for nerf experiments. The handgun (PT Enforcer) was an excellent choice to house a new barrel. The gun could shoot like a titan but it was too much power and was extremely loud. In the end, I made barrel attachments that allowed it to fire all ammo while still being a small package. In other words, I crafted my Multi-Functional Titan in to a more wield about size.

So yes. It will work, however, the idea you have to a LS is one I had about 4 months ago. I called it a Powerstroke. When you think about how a paintball gun is made and its internals, there is nothing a LS can provide it other than to be a shell. So why would I cover up a gun that does everything I want? It would just make it more tedious to maintain.

Also, I scraped these projects since they are far more dangerous (even for nerf ammo) to be used. While the semi-auto ease of them is alluring, there is a reason why the two sports don't cross-over too often.

But if you really want to try, take these:

1.) Do not use CPVC. It is far too tight for darts and will blow away all your darts unless you craft my Solid-Core Inserts.

2.) It's best to use a Nerf gun's piston or air chamber to fire darts (ie. any air gun). Then, wire a tank to it like this.
"Every mod I do is original. I'm a true modder; not a mod re-performer."

"It’s only after you’ve made the mistake and taken the wrong path, do you see all the other options that were before you."

#4 Viper Bravo

Viper Bravo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

"First off, the Longshot comes with streamline darts.

Second, CO2 is not exactly good for the plastics in the LS, or the darts."

the idea you have to a LS is one I had about 4 months ago. I called it a Powerstroke. When you think about how a paintball gun is made and its internals, there is nothing a LS can provide it other than to be a shell. So why would I cover up a gun that does everything I want? It would just make it more tedious to maintain.

While the semi-auto ease of them is alluring, there is a reason why the two sports don't cross-over too often.

But if you really want to try, take these:

1.) Do not use CPVC. It is far too tight for darts and will blow away all your darts unless you craft my Solid-Core Inserts.

2.) It's best to use a Nerf gun's piston or air chamber to fire darts (ie. any air gun). Then, wire a tank to it like this.

Ompa, Good point of the Streamlines, I was thinking of a different gun i use them in. Actually I use them in the magnum. and on the plastics in the LS, With the design I have anything that will be exposed to the Co2 will be brass, so im not worried about that.

On wasting a paintball gun, I am buying it used one for like $30 at my local PB shop. So it’s not a waist, and I am not planning on using for semi-auto, I want the valuing and the electronics for the controlled release of the co2. Single shot is all it’ll be, and the PB gun I have has a jumper on it to lock it in to single. Also, I do not want to deal with having multiple takes that will have to be refilled, so the idea of a pvc and a HPA take wont work for me.

TAiLsChaser, It is Original for me, as it was for you. Duel originality I suppose. Intrusting ideal for direct wiring of a tank in to the piston. But there will be no piston in the new setup to port in to. PCV is out of the question, so good point; the Brass breach mod will itself be modded to fit the new Co2 connation.

The design is cleaner that it sounds, i have get my Design rendering finisher before it come clearer.

Also, TAiLsChaser, were you ever about to get to a point to fire a dart directly with Co2. I mean for like velocity testing.

#5 Devious

Devious

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

I speak from Expirience:

Co2 + Stock nerf plastic = You digging plastic out of your hands for a couple hours or a hospital trip

i've done a Co2 conversion on an SM3K and New-style BBB as time-killers, and both of them ended up breaking (Violently) after just a couple days of use, the Co2 chills and breaks the plastic over time, eventually causing failures

As ompa said, however, unless you're making it Semi-auto, you're wasting a paintball gun (However cheap) on a gun that wont last for long under continuous use

#6 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:36 AM

Any compressed gas is going to be extremely cold coming into contact with normal pressure/temperature. EVENTUALLY this will weaken the plastic and crack it, and I would not want to be around for that. Take a gas airsoft clip and release all the gas out. If its red gas, not only will it smell like cabbage, but your hand will be freezing.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#7 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hey All, I have a original concept for a custom longshot mod of my own, but I nee to bounce the idea around and WILL need help from the forum to do this. My idea is simple in concept, Gut the innards of a decent paintball gun and mod them into a longshot with the brass breach and barrel mods. So... How dose it sound, the concept i mean? The reason I am thinking of a CO2 mod is for the ease of refilling a standard paintball CO2 canisters. I am going to use a paintball gun with a electric firing Etrigger for controlled use of the Co2. I know in a normal PB gun the co2 also moves a bolt forward that kicks the ball down the barrel, then the Co2 propels it, so this will obviously not be in the design. Ill have a mockup design up soon.

If anyone has experienced with Paintball guns ill need a sounding board to talk to.

What do you all think? Also i use stock streamlined darts in the longshot now, they fly a lot better than the ammo it comes with.

First off, I've taken apart a few electronic paintball guns, and none of them used gas to drive the bolt forward. A spring drives the bolt forward. The gas is channeled through the bolt after it reaches a certain position to fire the ball and to re-cock the gun. The release of the bolt is operated by a solenoid connected to the circuit board. If you look at the internals of a paintball gun's bolt, you should find that it is hollow.

Second, compressed CO2 is far too cold to use in applications involving plastics. The rapid chilling and reheating of the plastic makes it very brittle. When something brittle fails, it tends to be catastrophic. So like Devious said, be prepared to pull shards of blue shrapnel out of your hands. Compressed air is much safer. And you can probably buy an air compressor that would suit your purposes instead of constantly buying CO2.

Now for the questions:

Why use an external compressed gas source to fire the gun? It will make a lot of noise when firing, giving your position away. A great paintball gun doesn't have the effective range to fire it and be far enough away where a counter-attack can't reach you.

Since the bolt not only operates the spring, but also the breech on the LS, have you taken into account that the gas source must re-cock the gun after every shot, and that the bolt will still need to be there so you can manually operate the breech for things like changing magazines and clearing a jam? Anything on the side of the gun will probably be moving fast when operated by an compressed gas, which is a safety hazard.

And at that velocity, how sure are you that the internals of the gun, like the bolt sled, won't hit things hard enough to break apart?

As far as what I think, I think it is a disaster waiting to happen.
C8H18

#8 Trevor

Trevor

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

Why would you want to destroy the childlike simplicity that is nerf with semi auto, and Co2? Be a man(or woman) and used plain old compressed air.

#9 Viper Bravo

Viper Bravo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:19 AM

Well, seeing as no one listens to me about the fact that there will be no direct Co2 to plastic there is little issue to deal with about that. Also there will be no semi-auto, as stated before, it’ll be single shot bolt action like it’s normally is.

Now I have been thinking about using a compressed air tank that’s used in PBing, I personally just don’t know if they can be used with a standard Co2 PB gun. I am sure it can, it’s on one of the things I wanted to ask the people with PB gun knowledge.

On the spring/breach operation, the sled is controlled manually, this would remain the same. My design layout would show it best. When a stock LS is fired the spring releases allowing the plunger to move forward, also unlocking the breach to so it can be moved forward and back to re-chamber the next round. In the new setup the breach will still slide to re-chamber round and lock to hold them in place, I will have to have I custom lock clip, but its no issue. There will be no bolt in the new design. The round will be chambered and rest against a guide similar to were is rests currently, so it doesn’t slide back in to far.

The reason I proposed this mod was for a true"LONG"shot of a weapon. I love nerf, and always will, I just love the idea of a true long-range nerf weapon. And tell me, there is no gun that doesn’t make a sound, but there are ways of reducing that sound so all you need is one shot to take them out.

#10 Devious

Devious

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

The problem is, that if you want a single, horrendously long shot, Brass a singled titan with a plugged pump

See, if you keep the longshot a clip-fed weapon, then the seal (with a nerf barrel) will NOT be leak-proof due to the pressure used to fire a paintball from a paintball gun, just in a smaller space

This means that the nice chilly Co2 could end up getting into your clip or the area around the breech on an LS, eventually breaking the plastic

Not to mention the gun would probably be banned at wars considering how powerful the few Co2 conversions are anyway

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users