Photo

Longshot Mod

Make it shoot taggers, suckers, whistlers and streamlines.

29 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan 117

Spartan 117

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

This is a write up on how to mod your Longshot to shoot taggers, suckers, whistlers and streamlnes. I made it because first of all I mainly nerf indoors so I don't need mega ranges and also I hate it when I am using my Longshot and I have have shot all of my streamlines and there are only taggers and suction cup darts around that I can use.
The gun:
Posted Image

Ok so First step is to open up your gun. (I took out all of the safety/not fuck up your gun mechanisms)

Posted Image

Second take out the plunger tube and unscrew the small silver screws:

Posted Image

Now take off the plunger head by unscrewing this screw:

Posted Image

Now slip in your NF spring/spring of choice:

Posted Image

Now put the plunger head back on.

Now we have to take out those damn the ARs. I did this by hammering the prongs on the ARs out with a flat head screwdriver like this:

Posted Image
Then prying it out with some needle nose pliers.
Oh and the AR will look like this:

Posted Image

There will be a small hole at the back of the bolt that you should plug up with hot glue/epoxy/plumbers goop.

Next put the whole plunger assembly back together.

Wheew we have that clusterfuck out of the way.

Ok Now to the actually making it shoot taggers/suckers/whistlers.

Cut the end of the bolt off all the way to the bolt sled. Refer to This

Now You have to Dremel the hell out of it until I't will fit your dart without the head bending down and the bolt is not falling off the bolt sled, this is what I got:

Posted Image

Once you have that done, make sure everything is in place and put it all back together.

Cool, now load up some darts into your clip and go shoot someone!
Posted Image
It gets ~50'-60' which is not too bad for a non brass breached LS.
Questions? Comments? Flames? Bring it on.

A few more pics:
Darts in magazine:

Posted Image

Bolt open:

Posted Image

bolt closed:

Posted Image

Yeah the reason I cut the bipod off is because I am *attempting* to do DartAttack's front gun integration. Oh an I know my shop is messy.

PS: You may need to snip about a half of a CM off of the end of the taggers because they are slightly longer and may jam in the bolt.

Edited by Spartan_117, 30 April 2008 - 07:55 AM.

The enrichment center reminds you that the weighted companion cube cannot speak. In the event that it does speak, we urge you to disregard it's advice.

#2 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

Well, it is a good first post, but I think people have done this before. But nevertheless, good job man. Good first impression. The pic quality is shit, but just try to get a better quality pics next time.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#3 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:51 PM

I've not heard of this being done before, the picture quality is kind of poor, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

Can you post

1)a picture of the darts in the LS magazine
2)a picture of the dart with the bolt open
3)a picture of the dart with the bolt closed

Otherwise, great mod!
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#4 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:55 PM

I like it, but won't the difference in height at the tip of the dart from the rest of the body of the dart cause it to load unevenly? I tried it with my Recon CS-6, and it didn't work too good.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#5 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:07 AM

I like it, but won't the difference in height at the tip of the dart from the rest of the body of the dart cause it to load unevenly? I tried it with my Recon CS-6, and it didn't work too good.

My recon fires taggers stock, but doesn;t the fact that your snipping part of the barrel make it lose air flow, and are your ranges flat or angeled?
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#6 Kanashimi

Kanashimi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

ice, actually, him cutting up that part does not really decrease range, because around that part of the gun are lots of openings for air to escape. Also, the longshot is better with less of a barrel, unless you replace the breech. This is shown by the LS carbines, which usually have 5-10 feet better range than a LS without a new breech.

Now, onto the mod. Yes, picture quality is horrible. I still understand what he did though. He cut off the stick on the top end of the bolt to keep it from pushing the rubber tips of darts down, which, when the bolt is pulled all the way forward, would have the tips being pinched by the bolt and piece in front of it. That would stop the dart from firing.

I'm not sure if GB asked this, but don't the taggers and other darts get stuck in the mag? I tried putting a small stack of taggers in my clip, and the larger rubber tip pressed on the mag walls, keeping them from moving up.

-Kanashimi

#7 OberonFox

OberonFox

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:59 AM

Copy Pasta'd from one of my other posts on similar topic....

There are various free or extremely cheap image alteration programs, like Gimp ,out there if you can't afford Photoshop. All of them have a crop feature. Take your picture at maximum resolution from a distance that will allow full focus of whatever you're taking the picture of, and then crop and resize to appropriate web proportions.
"I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea."

#8 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

And/or see if your camera has a Macro feature.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#9 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

What is stopping the darts from being pushed up too high?
You basically cut off the bolts receiver. With this removed darts wont load properly?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#10 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

There's still a tiny lip left. That, combined with the portion keeping the dart from pusing up from back half of the faux barrel might be enough to keep the dart from going too far up.

~ompa

#11 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

Why does everyone insist on making the Recon and Longshot shoot taggers? They jam in the magazine, the head interferes with the dart receiver and dart tooth.

I only see one of these issues being addressed, and that's done by cutting off the dart receiver. They'll still jam in the magazine and rub early against the dart tooth when pushed forward.

It's much easier to mod the taggers themselves than to fuck around with the gun's mechanisms, so for all I suggest making custom dart taggers until you're ready to do a breech.

#12 Spartan 117

Spartan 117

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

There's still a tiny lip left. That, combined with the portion keeping the dart from pusing up from back half of the faux barrel might be enough to keep the dart from going too far up.

~ompa

Thats right.

Why does everyone insist on making the Recon and Longshot shoot taggers? They jam in the magazine, the head interferes with the dart receiver and dart tooth.

I only see one of these issues being addressed, and that's done by cutting off the dart receiver. They'll still jam in the magazine and rub early against the dart tooth when pushed forward.

It's much easier to mod the taggers themselves than to fuck around with the gun's mechanisms, so for all I suggest making custom dart taggers until you're ready to do a breech.

The point of this mod is so that you don't have to use special darts or modify taggers. They don't jam the magazine or rub early up against the dart tooth. Also why would I bother posting this if it didn't work!
The enrichment center reminds you that the weighted companion cube cannot speak. In the event that it does speak, we urge you to disregard it's advice.

#13 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this make the seal worse than it already is? I would expect a pretty large decrease in range.

EDIT: Sorry for not reading. I got my answer.

Edited by Swords, 28 April 2008 - 07:09 PM.

SuperGeek.

#14 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

The seal does nothing. A stock longshot already has such a bad seal that it woks like a NF.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#15 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

If by front gun integration, you mean this...

Posted Image (my version of course, also modded to fire taggers thanks to you :P )

Thats not angel's mod, it's dartattacks. Link
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker

#16 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

::Insert worthless picture here:: (my version of course, also modded to fire taggers thanks to you :P )

What was the point of that? You have a fragment and then a picture of you with an integration that is posted all over this board. If you were showing him the link, you could have just posted it. He has obviously has seen it before, or he wouldn't want to do it. Do you just like to take pictures of yourself? [/rant]

On topic: I am surprised that that works. I would have had the same worry as angel, but it works, though, so that's awesome. I wouldn't personally do it because I don't need to, but it is cool to know that it could be done for indoor wars or in times that you have to use stock darts or taggers (in case stefans are banned).
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#17 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:00 AM

Well, consider this scenario: You are playing an intense game with a lot of participants, and you've just fired your last streamline/CDTS/long stefan (i.e. stuff that fits/works in a stock LS). All of your ammo is now 40-50 feet away from you at best. What do you do?

If you've done a mod like this, you can pick up anything they have been firing back at you (stock taggers, micros, screamers, etc) that will fit in your clip, and keep on shooting.

If not, then all you can do is run, and hope they don't get you!
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#18 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

What was the point of that? You have a fragment and then a picture of you with an integration that is posted all over this board. If you were showing him the link, you could have just posted it. He has obviously has seen it before, or he wouldn't want to do it. Do you just like to take pictures of yourself? [/rant]

On topic: ...

I'm not familiar with all of FA's mods, I don;t know if he has done another integration or not, so I was clarifying to make sure. I also wanted to tell him I did his mod and it works great, and posting a picture of my own in my style (I only have myself in the picture so my friends on the site from my neighborhood and school know that I'm the one that did the mod, because they think I cut and paste other peoples pictures, and this is just a way to get around it and prove it to them that I did the mod, and I'm not lying. Sorry for any inconvenience).
Muker

#19 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

Blah, blah, blah [/rant]

On topic: ...

Blah, blah blah

Wow. I can't believe I am doing this, but I have to commend you. You actually responded in a way that sounded like you used you brain before typing a response. Good choice. I didn't know people thought you lied about doing the integrations, though. I know people call BS on your ranges (because they are BS most of the time...), but I didn't know people didn't think you modified/built the stuff.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#20 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:24 PM

Wow. I can't believe I am doing this, but I have to commend you. You actually responded in a way that sounded like you used you brain before typing a response. Good choice. I didn't know people thought you lied about doing the integrations, though. I know people call BS on your ranges (because they are BS most of the time...), but I didn't know people didn't think you modified/built the stuff.

No, it’s only some of my friends from my school and neighbor hood (that I know of) that don’t believe that I mod them to the full extent that I do. I just post pics of myself in it to avoid vicious arguments all through school (as earlier stated). The only reason I didn’t PM you this is so that everyone can read it, and they don’t get left with the question of your last post, because other people might not believe I mod them, arguments, on and on and on, blah
Muker

#21 Spartan 117

Spartan 117

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

(pic) (my version of course, also modded to fire taggers thanks to you :angry: )

Cool, glad to see it works!

Woops, sorry I will change it to DartAttack, thanks.

Edited by Spartan_117, 29 April 2008 - 05:06 PM.

#22 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

Well, consider this scenario: You are playing an intense game with a lot of participants, and you've just fired your last streamline/CDTS/long stefan (i.e. stuff that fits/works in a stock LS). All of your ammo is now 40-50 feet away from you at best. What do you do?

If you've done a mod like this, you can pick up anything they have been firing back at you (stock taggers, micros, screamers, etc) that will fit in your clip, and keep on shooting.

I would much rather pull out my sidearm instead of pulling out the clip, loading darts, and shoving the clip back in.
SuperGeek.

#23 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

If you're still mucking around wars with a stock LS at a large war then I think you've got bigger problems than fitting ammo in a gun that can't fit it stock. If you've got the tools to mod your LS this much, why didn't you just go the full way and breech it? Why did you waste all your ammo? Did you bring more than just two magazines? Did you bring enough stefans/cdts/streamlines to reload a magazine or two? Can you even aim well enough with your gun to conserve ammo?

Or, do what Swords would and

pull out my sidearm instead of pulling out the clip, loading darts, and shoving the clip back in

because at a large war, you're going to get picked off if you try to reload a magazine.

#24 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

I will grant that my experience (playing mostly indoors in a decent-sized church) is probably different from what most of you outdoor nerfers are used to. However, I can't see how it would be impossible to reload a magazine or two during a game if you are sticking together with friends for support. Does everyone who uses a Longshot in wars own enough mags to keep them set for an entire game? I know that before I bought my Recons, I only had the two, and I was able to keep them loaded when I needed to, just by having teammates cover me for a moment. It really doesn't take that long to load them, and with someone watching your back (and a good sidearm within reach if things get hairy), I don't see why this would be such a terrible thing for someone who can't afford / doesn't have access to / doesn't want to carry half a dozen mags for their Longshot.

But then, I've not played in anything large outside. My only big game experience (approx 30 players in our biggest games) is indoors, so maybe all that cover plays a part in skewing my viewpoint?
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#25 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

You need to hold the magazine and put darts in it. While that by itself isn't difficult, doing so in the middle of a game means putting your gun down or holding it in your armpit, grabbing the necessary darts, putting the magazine back in the stock/pocket/gun it came from, then picking your gun up again. You've got at least five seconds where your attention is split up between the magazine and your surroundings and your weapon isn't in your hands ready to shoot. If you play outdoors where there's little or no cover then you can get picked off by a good LS/3B or worse yet, all three of you get tagged by a rushing RF20/Magstrike/shotty LBB/shotty Titan.

It's very likely when your only cover is a pillar or bush. Furthermore, the chances of having a random assortment of darts laying around where there's cover outdoors is even worse, which means scurrying in the open to get darts or slowing your movement to pick up any darts laying around. Both of which are going to get you shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users