Disk Shooter Mod

(not disk-shot)

5 replies to this topic

#1 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

I know that its not exactly nerf, but I'd like to show a mod for one of my favorite guns, the disk shooter. When I was young, my parents wouldn't let me have nerf guns, so whenever there was a garage sale, I would go and buy these foam diskshooters. My first real nerf gun had one of these integrated in it, but I seldom used it because now that I had a real nerf gun, its ranges and accuracy were quite aweful in comparison. With this mod, I hope to change that.

Posted Image

The first step is to take the whole thing appart, and grind out the inside of the battery holder so that is completely smooth. this allows you to use 9v. batteries. (attach them with snaps, solder or electrical tape.)

Posted Image

The next thing that I did was take out the motor assembly and roughen up the spinning wheel by sanding it.
A motor replacement is another posibilty, I did not do it because wheel was conected very firmly to the motor, and I didn't want to break it. (I should also note that when installing the 9v. battery make sure to check the orientation, so that the wheel does not spin in the wrong direction.)

Posted Image

The last part is making the paper chute. This makes the disk fly straight, instead of curving of to the side all of the time. Simply fold the paper to the desired size and tape it in place. I used medium-thickness tagboard, and I cut the bottom off of the chute so that it won't drag on the disks.

Posted Image

My 9v. was taken from some toy that i haven't played with in 4 years, so it was pretty much dead, so i got really bad ranges. As soon as I can get a fresh one in there, I will post ranges.

Please leave a comment/ sugestion/ question and let me know what you think.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time
with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box ***,
Oakview CA 93022. You'll get paid after
we get back. Must bring your own
weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have
only done this once before.

#2 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:59 PM

Interesting, definitely different from the common type of write-upable gun.

Good job, disks are always fun for indoors.

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#3 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:38 AM

Tell us about the accuracy. In my experience, disk-shooting guns normally spin off after 10-15 feet.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#4 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

Tell us about the accuracy. In my experience, disk-shooting guns normally spin off after 10-15 feet.

thats what the chute is for. It causes the disks to go about twice as long before spinning out then when I tried it without it. (note: they both go the same distance, one just spins off later.)

Edited by notthedinkus, 27 April 2008 - 10:59 AM.

WANTED: Somebody to go back in time
with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box ***,
Oakview CA 93022. You'll get paid after
we get back. Must bring your own
weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have
only done this once before.

#5 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:40 AM

Definately interesting. I have a pair of manual (i.e. not battery-operated) disk shooters that I pull out from time to time. For some reason, if I dual-wield them and fire as quickly as possible, the resulting cloud of foam reminds me of the dual-wielded needlers from Halo 2...

...except they don't make things go BOOM! :D
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#6 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

Cool mod. I have never seen a mod for a disk shooter before. Does'nt Lanard make a big disk shooter? But, can you make the paper chute out of any other material? I mean, paper is going to get kind of smashed.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users