Reactor Modification.

Balls or darts.

22 replies to this topic

#1 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:33 PM

Well, my friends have remarked on my lack of a recent write-up, and a lot of you have said that you’d like a “creative” write-up, so here goes…

DO NOT POST UNTIL IT IS FINISHED.

The Reactor.

Posted Image

Open it up (you really only need to open the back part).

Posted Image

Now take out the barrel-thing. Lets look at the top part.

Posted Image

Take a pair of needle-nosed pliers and twist that orange piece out. This is the part which, powered by the spring, pushed the balls towards the front allowing them to shoot.

Posted Image

Now take some wire cutters and cut all the pegs which attach the vented part to the outer rim.

Posted Image

Punch it out, and then sand the remainders of the pegs off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now it’s time to get a Big Blast missile with the intention of destroying it. I’m sure copper pipe insulation would work to. Anyways, rip the fins off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now cut an inch of the end off, or about half of what you can see (the part with the hole in it, which conveniently slips over CPVC very well), and then cut the rest of it off. Cut a slit through the second part; it will go around the first length so it will fit snugly under the orange piece. However, it won’t fit all the way around, so rip open the rest of the missile.

Posted Image

Interestingly, it has this rubber piece at the front for weight. Anyways, the hollow part continues up, so cut another length and then cut it lengthwise to fit over the whole piece. I know all of this probably didn’t make any sense without pictures (I forgot :unsure:), so here’s what it should look like.

Posted Image

Glue those pieces together, and then glue them into the orange ball-pusher piece.

Posted Image

Be sure to line all the seams with glue at the back.

Posted Image

Then replace the spring and orange piece you just finished.

Posted Image

Now flip it around and look at the back. Punch out the AR-like piece, and cut down the orange tube.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now start sanding out the hole until it’s big enough for a CPVC coupler to fit. Somewhere along the way this (http://img98.imagesh...ture1428rz5.jpg ) piece will fall off, which in turn allows the rubber plunger head to fall off, but it can be super glued back on later. After it’s big enough, cut a 13” long CPVC barrel and put it through the front part. Attach the CPVC coupler to it at the end, and push the coupler about half way through the end black piece (the piece you drilled a hole for the coupler). This is to ensure it’s straight.

Posted Image

Now glue the coupler in, and carefully take out the barrel. After it’s dry, suplerglue the plunger head back on.

Then cut a very thin piece of the missile, and glue it on to the end of the coupler. This acts as padding when you fire the gun.

Posted Image

All that’s left to do is make the barrel the right length. Since you can’t make it any shorter while keeping it removable, I figured something else out. I found that 11” is the ideal barrel length, so mark it on the barrel, and drill at the mark.

Posted Image

Now squirt some hotglue through the hole, this will stop the dart from going any farther down the barrel.

Posted Image

Make sure that the glue on the outside of the barrel doesn’t protrude to far, it would make loading the dart barrel harder.

Finished internals.

Posted Image

Because the barrel is 13” long, some of it sticks out the front while it’s in, making it easily removable.

Posted Image

I also glued three dart holders on the side:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There you go! A Reactor which shoots balls and darts. Just slide the barrel through the foam piece at the front, and push it into the coupler. It would be hard to change to the dart barrel in the middle of combat, but atleast it’s possible. Range with balls are about 10-15’ without ball roll, and darts consistently clear 65’, some landing as high as 85’, mainly depending on the dart. The majority of mine landed at around 75’.

That’s going to be it for about a week, although I have another write-up pictured. I have a ton of school work and games, so uploading pics is kinda’ hard.

Questions, Comments?

-OfAll’

PS, I just realized I forgot to properly embed one of the URLs, but if you really want to see it just copy and paste.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#2 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

That is teh shitzs. Now I actually have a reason to buy a reactor. SHOTTY!!1!111!
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#3 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

Another great write up, nice job.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#4 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

That much out of a reactor? Now to find the one I have laying around.
SuperGeek.

#5 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

Wow ofall. I was wondering if you had slowed down. I guess not. This is awesome. One that shoots balls and darts. 75ft is amazing for a cheap ball gun. I have a question about the spring. Is it strong, or really weak? I heard that they were just awful.
Great job!
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#6 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

The spring is weak. It's only purpose is to keep the balls up against the front of the gun.
SuperGeek.

#7 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

How DOES this gun work? I see no trigger, and I don't understand which part moves and where air compresses if anywhere. This gun really confuses me. :blink:

Good job OfAll!
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#8 el swifto

el swifto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

"Now start sanding out the hole until it’s big enough for a CPVC coupler to fit. Somewhere along the way this (http://img98.imagesh...ture1428rz5.jpg ) piece will fall off, which in turn allows the rubber plunger head to fall off, but it can be super glued back on later. After it’s big enough, cut a 13” long CPVC barrel and put it through the front part. Attach the CPVC coupler to it at the end, and push the coupler about half way through the end black piece (the piece you drilled a hole for the coupler). This is to ensure it’s straight. piece will fall off, which in turn allows the rubber plunger head to fall off, but it can be super glued back on later. After it’s big enough, cut a 13” long CPVC barrel and put it through the front part. Attach the CPVC coupler to it at the end, and push the coupler about half way through the end black piece (the piece you drilled a hole for the coupler). This is to ensure it’s straight."

^Picture needs to be fixed. Otherwise, nicejob, as always. I especially like how it retains the original ability to fire the balls.

Edited by el swifto, 23 April 2008 - 09:45 PM.

#9 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

It is a push-pull gun. The white tube in the back is where the air compresses when you push the two parts together. Study the pictures and it will be clear. By the way nice mod.
file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Gage/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME~1/Gage/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg

#10 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

ah... but how the heck does it fire balls? Maybe I should just buy a reactor. :blink:
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#11 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

It has a rubber ring at the end of the barrel that creates a seal when the ball is pressed against it.

#12 Squilt

Squilt

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

Theres a weak long spring behind the balls keeping one pressed against a rubber ring then when theres enough pressure it shoots them out one every time you pump it to the right pressure amount.

Edited by Squilt, 23 April 2008 - 09:56 PM.

Dead I am the rat, feast upon the cat
Tender is the fur, dying as you purr.... oOoo...

Wait, your licking hot glue?Insane. But I like it.

-- Spyder S.nyper

#13 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

You're an animal! Great writeup and excellent mod. You're making a run for the most contributive member of '08.

What would happen if you ramroded the dart? I know that your cpvc is probably too tight, but I'm wondering what the ranges will be. Or did you ramrod them during your range test?
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:21 PM

Good work I love guns that can fire different types of ammo.
Also creative thinking on the hole and the hot glue to prevent darts from slipping through. Just be careful ram rodding I guess.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#15 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

This is by FAR the best reactor mod I have ever seen. Great Job.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#16 el swifto

el swifto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:52 AM

You're an animal! Great writeup and excellent mod. You're making a run for the most contributive member of '08.

What would happen if you ramroded the dart? I know that your cpvc is probably too tight, but I'm wondering what the ranges will be. Or did you ramrod them during your range test?

"There you go! A Reactor which shoots balls and darts. Just slide the barrel through the foam piece at the front, and push it into the coupler. It would be hard to change to the dart barrel in the middle of combat, but atleast it’s possible. Range with balls are about 10-15’ without ball roll, and darts consistently clear 65’, some landing as high as 85’, mainly depending on the dart. The majority of mine landed at around 75’."

^ranges

The cpvc barrel is removable, so he wouldn't have to ramrod it.

EDIT: Oops, my bad. I've seen someone drill holes in the barrel before the tip so that air exits before the dart, preventing the dart from fishtailing. I guess I assumed that was what you did...

The fixed picture
Posted Image

Edited by el swifto, 24 April 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#17 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

He does have to ramrod it because he drilled a hole in the barrel and put hot glue in it.

#18 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

Sorry about the double post my internet got messed up.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 24 April 2008 - 04:54 PM.

#19 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

I'd just like to point out that there IS a difference between the "new" and "old" edition Reactors. The one OfAll' uses in his mod is the old one, and when I attempted this mod on my new edition one, I noticed that the little piece on the back that falls off(the incorrectly imbedded picture, copy and paste to see) is actually attached to the part that the rubber seal falls off of, thus you must smash/pry/cut it off with a mechanical instrument of some sort. Just a heads-up.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#20 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

Wow, lots of replies.

NF: Thank you. It is now a rather good gun, and good for lending out.

Chili: Thank you.

Swords: Yes, I know, it's odd but it does get remarkably good range.

MSDFS: Yeah, I guess not, but I'm going to constrain them to once a week, just do I don't run out :blink:. And yes, the spring is extremely weak, and only pushed the balls up against a rubber stopper which provides pressure as you pump the gun (push and pull).

Galaxy: Thank you. It's a push and pull gun, pull out to 'cock' and push to fire.

el swifto: Thank you. I know that I embedded that wrong, as I said in my PS, but I can't edit it now because I went over the picture limit.

Nerfer: Thank you :P. I need to start making bigger and "badder" write-ups to "claim the title". /daydreaming. As for ramrodding, due to the hot glue I put through the hole you can't ramrod it too far. If you want to be able to rear-load it just don't put the hotglue there and remove the barrel every time. You might lose some range though, I've found 11" is perfect.

Forsaken: Thank you. I also like how it can still fire balls, good for outdoors and indoors. As for the ramrodding, everyone should be careful, if you push it in too aggressively it might break off.

Bomberman: Thanks. I try :P.

el swifto: I do have to ramrod it because I put the hotglue in the barrel, but refer to my reply to N34.

Salmon: Good headsup. Thank you btw.

Thanks,

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#21 basser

basser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

Wow, lots of replies.

NF: Thank you. It is now a rather good gun, and good for lending out.

Chili: Thank you.

Swords: Yes, I know, it's odd but it does get remarkably good range.

MSDFS: Yeah, I guess not, but I'm going to constrain them to once a week, just do I don't run out :lol:. And yes, the spring is extremely weak, and only pushed the balls up against a rubber stopper which provides pressure as you pump the gun (push and pull).

Galaxy: Thank you. It's a push and pull gun, pull out to 'cock' and push to fire.

el swifto: Thank you. I know that I embedded that wrong, as I said in my PS, but I can't edit it now because I went over the picture limit.

Nerfer: Thank you :P. I need to start making bigger and "badder" write-ups to "claim the title". /daydreaming. As for ramrodding, due to the hot glue I put through the hole you can't ramrod it too far. If you want to be able to rear-load it just don't put the hotglue there and remove the barrel every time. You might lose some range though, I've found 11" is perfect.

Forsaken: Thank you. I also like how it can still fire balls, good for outdoors and indoors. As for the ramrodding, everyone should be careful, if you push it in too aggressively it might break off.

Bomberman: Thanks. I try :P.

el swifto: I do have to ramrod it because I put the hotglue in the barrel, but refer to my reply to N34.

Salmon: Good headsup. Thank you btw.

Thanks,

-OfAll'

#22 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

Try not to necro a thread for a stupid quote like that...

#23 Skorpion

Skorpion

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

I tried this mod, but I messed it up so it only shoots darts. At least it shoots about 65 feet still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users