Foamslinger

The Longshot with some Uber style

42 replies to this topic

#26 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:52 AM

I personally like the idea for ambushes.
A few suggestions though.
Posted Image

Does the Tommy 20's trigger manually push a dart into the fly wheels or does it connect a circuit which something electronically pushes the dart in. If the case is the latter you could rig up a special push button that fires the T20 and this would allow you to minimize the T20 even further making it more aesthetically pleasing. Hell if you wanted to, you might be able to rig it up to the original trigger. Than only fire the Tommy 20 when its on. This modification has a lot of potential to be alot better. I hope you take this farther.

As far as everyone talking about how pointless this is. I can see this being very useful in HvZ.

Thanks to both of you! Like slowguitarman said, the trigger manually pushes the dart. One thing I wanted to do was attach a string to the back of the trigger, then relocate the trigger near the LS trigger. I will definitely try to hide the battery inside the LS.

Anyway, I repeat, what makes it so "fugly" other than the color scheme?

Edited by Ubermensch, 24 April 2008 - 06:55 AM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#27 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

It's the placement of the T20. It looks like it was glued on. Even painted, it would look glued on.

Doing what Forsaken_Angel24 suggested would make it look like the T20 was actually built into the LS. When everything looks like it was molded in 1 piece, it will look much better.
C8H18

#28 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

The battery taped to the outside, there's almost no merging of the two separate body shells, and the connection between them doesn't look very strong.

That's the bulk of it anyways. The remainder is that it's hard to make a Tommy 20 look anything but cheap.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#29 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

Coat the Tommy 20 in platinum, and you'll be good.

But in all seriousness, it's mainly because of the dead space that you have left, that could very easily be filled. I know when I look at the gun, all I see is that space just above the Tommy 20 that you could chop off and more fully integrate the gun with the LS. Combined with some bondo and epoxy, you could make a nice, strong, good-looking connection between the guns. The connection you have now (as CS said) is just too weak to survive a whole lot. As for Guru, there is alot of surface area that the hot glue can act on, unlike what you have there. If you cut off the rest of the dead space and moved the Tommy 20 into it, and then hot glued it, I wouldn't be as worried about the stability as I am now.

~ompa

#30 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

I just don't think my mod is THAT clunky or useless. Ugly, yes, but I don't really mind that.

This is clunky and useless.

Posted Image

Edited by Ubermensch, 24 April 2008 - 05:01 PM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#31 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:47 PM

HAHAHAHAHA! Dude, I tried that exact same thing, with the recon parts and putting the longshot where the scout would go on a Titan... I thought it was fucking hillarous. But with the TM20 on it, it just looks retarded.

Lets get on a non dissing note shall we? If you want it too look better, do what FA24 said, but cut off the handle completely, stick the battery inside the LS shell, and tie a piece of wire to the lever thingy that is normally pushed (or pulled, I forget) by the trigger, and use some epoxy putty, or similar molding something or other, I guess you could use clay if you wanted to, but it might break.

I may not own one, but my cousin has one. and it sucks.

I'm going to have to one-up FA24 with the pics... Sorry man.
Cut the frame to fit right under the Longshot, and run a wire and a keyring to the lever.
Posted Image

Edited by Maeric, 24 April 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#32 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

I laughed. Your best post ever Ubermensch.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 April 2008 - 07:08 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#33 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

Thanks, CS. Maeric, that is actually a great idea. I think I'll do that.
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#34 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

While this gun is butt-ugly, it could have some use indoors if you modified the Longshot. Also, the Tommy 20 WILL completely give your position away.
We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#35 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Well, the LS was the silent gun of the pair. Anyway, this was also to show that this could be done to a modified LS.
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#36 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

The genius of Maeric's idea (or FA24's rather) is that you could easily use each one independently or both at the same time while still retaining the convenience of a linked trigger. Anyways, If you were to cut it down the way Maeric showed, and put the battery inside, eliminated the seam between the two blasters as much as possible, and then painted them one color, I think it'd look kinda neat. And that last post with the picture of pretty much every blaster and accessory you own attached to each other to form one great nerfy doomsday device was pretty funny. Good job.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#37 pustulio

pustulio

• Banned
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

What if you had put a tactical rail on both of them. Just a suggestion.
Quote from mysefansdontflystraight
That thing looks like a do-it yourself abortion kit from the 1960s. I bet you hook it up to an air-tank.

#38 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

To anyone who said the Tommy 20 will "give away your position": have you ever attended a major, outdoor war?

No offense, but rarely is your position "not known." I see this creation as more useful in a situation where you see a cluster of enemies all without a loaded gun - you can rush in with the Tommy 20 and blaze them and still have shots left if you miss some/have to retreat. It's not like he's going to be sneaking up behind people left and right trying to ambush them... At least, that's what I'd venture to say based on my experience. Rarely have I seen someone get completely snuck up on with an RF20, Magstrike, etc. It happens, but I think "bum rushes" are far more common.

I like it Uber, I'd just like to see it a bit cleaner. Not that I think it's 'fugly,' I think the two guns could be put together a little more smoothly, that's all. As mentioned by others - the quality of hot glue is not great.

Holy fuck, I definitely read Aug 29 2008 - my bad guys, didn't mean to necro.

Edited by Rambo, 07 September 2008 - 07:35 PM.

#39 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

At one point, I did the suggested minimization and connected the T20 pistol to the LS using goop and epoxy. It was still pretty ugly. Now I paint my guns, so I guess I could have made it look a bit better. Anyway, I now use the T20 as a sidearm separately from the LS.

On a tactical note, I totally agree with you. I've never been to a "major" war, but I've warred with my friends and nobody has succesfully snuck up on anyone. Out of curiosity, how did you find this thread? My sig? Because this'll be the second time somebody has necroed a thread from my sig.
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#40 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

Rarely have I seen someone get completely snuck up on with an RF20, Magstrike, etc.

Well, I did it to you at the Spring DCNO last year and got you with 7 darts while you did a backwards somersault and almost lost your pants.

It would really depend on the kind of field you are playing on. But the range and reliability of a Tommy 20 are so abysmal that I really can't imagine a scenario where it is particularly useful. I have never been shot by one, but I lost count of how many times one was pointed at me, failed to fire, or failed to shoot the darts far enough to hit me.

#41 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

Out of curiosity, how did you find this thread? My sig? Because this'll be the second time somebody has necroed a thread from my sig.

Yeah, that'd be it.

Well, I did it to you at the Spring DCNO last year and got you with 7 darts while you did a backwards somersault and almost lost your pants.

It would really depend on the kind of field you are playing on. But the range and reliability of a Tommy 20 are so abysmal that I really can't imagine a scenario where it is particularly useful. I have never been shot by one, but I lost count of how many times one was pointed at me, failed to fire, or failed to shoot the darts far enough to hit me.

I vaguely remember that, hence why I said rarely and not never :).

I was not aware that the Tommy 20 was that unreliable as far as failing to fire.

Perhaps the concept could be better executed with an RF20, then? Don't think I've ever seen that.

#42 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

Out of curiosity, how did you find this thread? My sig? Because this'll be the second time somebody has necroed a thread from my sig.

Yeah, that'd be it.

I vaguely remember that, hence why I said rarely and not never :D.

I was not aware that the Tommy 20 was that unreliable as far as failing to fire.

Perhaps the concept could be better executed with an RF20, then? Don't think I've ever seen that.

A RF20 would make the gun abysmally front heavy.

Damn near impossible to use. I sized it up, and dropped it like a bad habit.

And the T20 is loud as hell and only fires certain size head darts. It's picky.
~AJAQ~

#43 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:59 PM

You serious? I haven't held an RF20 in years, but I'm pretty sure I could wield it with nothing more than three fingers... Did you consider counter-weighting the back end? I'm not familiar with such things, but it might be a viable option?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users