Gauntlet Crossbow

How disappointing...

6 replies to this topic

#1 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

During a recent trip to Toys'R Us, I found a few things. One will be featured here. (the 2nd probably around the start of next week.) I love using the SMDTB's as back-up weapons. It's fantastic having 3 extra shots from a blaster you don't even have to draw from a holster. Because my group only permits tag darts, they posed a problem for me; the tag darts in the barrels were constantly getting caught on dart bags, resulting in the barrels being unloaded every time I would go to reload my primary. I saw this at the TRU, and was intrigued.

Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian Gauntlet Crossbow (With tag dart, for scale)
Posted Image

While the box made no claims of range, (not a good sign, I admit) it was only $10, and I was delighted by the idea of a wrist-blaster mounted on top of the wrist, rather than below. (As such a location would prevent the problem I have with a SMDTB.)

It indeed has "action" which one could (poorly) describe as "blasting." Stock range was < 1 meter. I foolishly still held hope, as the spring seemed surprisingly strong for its size, and the stock barrel was very loose. So I of course opened her up.
Posted Image

I saw the size of the plunger tube
Posted Image
and cursed quietly to myself.

Even after replacing the barrel, (I tried cpvc, a crayola marker barrel, and finally PETG) ranges were entirely unacceptable. Though twisting out the peg did result in a massive, 100% increase in range.

I darts which came with the hunk of plastic were rather interesting.
Posted Image
The gold dome, unlike a streamlined dart, is not hollow. While not exactly hard, the plastic dome is solid. I fired the 3 shiny darts out of my Recon (my Longshot lays ignored and disassembled, like C-3PO in Episode I) hoping the dense dart head would allow them to fly better than streamlined darts. Again I was disappointed. While they do not fishtail in the bizarre manner typical of streamlined darts, the range was decreased by what I estimate to be 1.5 meters.

So, why bother to even post anything about this device? 2 reasons:
1: Warn others to stay away. This thing is worthless. If I get really bored, I'll try and squeeze a Nitefinder plunger assembly in there.

2: It inspired me to build this;
Posted Image

I decided I would gain at least some shred of benefit from this toy, and inspiration for a much larger gauntlet Crossbow seemed fitting enough.

To make your own Gauntlet Crossbow that has ranges in excess of 2 meters, here's what you'll need:
Air Zone Crossbow
hot glue/suitable applicator
string
metal loop
thin, flexible tubing.
drilling implement

This is such a simple project, I doubt many words are needed to supplement the pictures here.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I used an archery bracer (more commonly known as an arm guard; can be found at most sporting goods stores) as the method of attaching the blaster to my forearm. While removing the crossbow limbs takes away from the aesthetics/coolness of having a wrist-mounted crossbow, it keeps the blaster from being troublesome in combat. Ranges are typical for an Air Zone crossbow, since this modification did nothing to the internals.

I plan on using the same trigger idea to make my SMDTB usable when mounted to the top of my wrist.

Thanks for your time.
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#2 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

I picked up one of these just to see if there was any chance that it could be improved upon and I came to a similar conclusion, though I will be trying to incorporate extension springs into it to attempt to increase the forward force of the plunger, but in the end, I may just put it back together and put it into the collection, never to see it again.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:34 AM

I swear to god I am going to start smashing guns I am disappointed with.
More on this later.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#4 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:29 AM

So... I like your arm gauntlet but I'm interested in the narnia thing. How is it fired? Did anything hit your arm/hand when it was fired since it looks as if all internals are visible. I still might get one, along with the airzone crossbow.

#5 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:43 AM

I swear to god I am going to start smashing guns I am disappointed with.
More on this later.

Should I start registering domains like smashmypulsator or smashmyrecon.com?
I hate you.

#6 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

So... I like your arm gauntlet but I'm interested in the narnia thing. How is it fired? Did anything hit your arm/hand when it was fired since it looks as if all internals are visible. I still might get one, along with the airzone crossbow.

In the first picture, you can see a small brown nub behind the handle used to prime the device. despressing this button fired the "blaster." Nothing hit my hand as long as I tuck my fist down, out of the Line of "fire." No, the internals are not exposed like that, I had already removed another piece, (sorry for the inaccurate dEffeminatetion)... I started disassembly after having a few liters, so I was pretty drunk and forgot to take pictures at every step.

I advise against the purchase of this device; at it's best ranges were less then 2 meters, fired level. While $10 isn't a huge chunk of change, it could be better spent on something else. (Blast Bazooka, the Air Zone crossbow, a pair of Nitefinders, et cetera.)
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#7 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for a heads up, and sweet crossbow-bracer you made. :lol:
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users