Another Longshot Mod?

No description...

13 replies to this topic

#1 1lastnerfgun

1lastnerfgun

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

This is my first relevent post/ addition to the NIC.

This is an explanation/mod about how to replace the stock barrel of a longshot with the barrel of the longshot extension barrel. The extension barrel is much larger than the stck barrel and you don't have to sacrifice all of the range of the longshot to have accuracy.

Longshot + extension barrel= less range & more accuracy

Longshot + extension barrel integration= balance of range and accuracy.

Disclaimer(I laugh out loud): This is for people who don't have access to cpvc/brass/pvc/etc.

I am explaining this as best as I can, as i have already done most of the mod already.

On to the mod.

Refer to this picture so you know what I am talking about.

Posted Image

Attach the chamber to the extension barrel.

Posted Image

Attached

Posted Image

Attach the dart tooth to the chamber

Posted Image

Attached

Posted Image

This is where it gets tricky. You are going to have to get the little piece of the dart tooth into the spring and then load everything into the shell of the longshot.

Here is a picture.

Posted Image

Close up of the spring and the dart tooth

Posted Image

That is it. just close up the shell and screw the screws in.

Here is a pic of Shorty's version of this, I think.

Posted Image
This isn't my longshot

I am sorry for the bad picture, they are because of the lighting in my room. I was also using my computers video camera or whatever it's called.

I also have no idea how to resize pictures.

Comments? Any suggestions.

Edited by 1lastnerfgun, 20 April 2008 - 07:48 PM.

QUOTE(ejrasmussen @ Apr 17 2008, 08:32 PM) *

Now go play with some balls!

#2 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Well for one the pics are as you said blurry but (correct me if i'm wrong somebody i probably am) it is a somewhat new mod, and two Shorty/Caps singled his....But bravo none the less you modded the all mighty LS [/sarcasim]

Edited by bogboogalars, 20 April 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#3 1lastnerfgun

1lastnerfgun

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

Yes, I realize Shorty singled his, but this is the only picture i could find that looked like the end result of this mod.
I am still doing things to my longshot, so I couldn't take a finished picture.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

You haven't addressed the fact that there is no functional seal between the chamber and the bolt. Your added barrel isn't going to really function much if the pressure that's propelling the dart is allowed to leak out once the dart leaves the end of the bolt.

THAT is what nobody has accomplished reliably and isn't likely to due to how the bolt functions.

The bolt also has a lot of dead space inbetween the back of the dart and the plunger tube.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 20 April 2008 - 08:02 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 1lastnerfgun

1lastnerfgun

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

You haven't addressed the fact that there is no functional seal between the chamber and the bolt. Your added barrel isn't going to really function much if the pressure that's propelling the dart is allowed to leak out once the dart leaves the end of the bolt.

THAT is what nobody has accomplished reliably and isn't likely to due to how the bolt functions.

The bolt also has a lot of dead space inbetween the back of the dart and the plunger tube.

I understand that there is a lot of dead space and that the bolt isn't perfectly functional with the chamber, but the point of this mod was to get a longer barrel for more accuracy, in a clean way so there is no hot glue to obstruct how the gun looks.

#6 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

You'd probably be better off modifying your ammo rather than the gun itself to improve accuracy, because the stock barrel decreases range. If you took a stock longshot, and did a range test with and without the barrel extension, it would go farther without the extension. The dart only bounces around on the inside of the barrel and slows down, so the longer the barrel, the worse the range. If you're using streamlines, add some weight to them or cover the hole on the tip.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#7 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

Actually because the barrel has a quite larger diameter then the dart, if anything the dart will bounce off the sides of the barrel and DECREASE accuracy.

Anyways, I've actually did this mod before and I don't really notice any difference... after I test it with, and without the long barrel, I'll come back with my findings.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#8 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

There's an easier way of doing this, if you want to be able to use the stock dart too, if you want. I just dremeled out the barrel so I can slide the barrel in, works great and can be broken down.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#9 1lastnerfgun

1lastnerfgun

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:06 AM

There's an easier way of doing this, if you want to be able to use the stock dart too, if you want. I just dremeled out the barrel so I can slide the barrel in, works great and can be broken down.

Sorry if I am being rude, but I don't understand what you mean by that. Please explain.

Also if anyone wanted ranges. I did the standard modding: AR removal, extra o-ring, and almost done paint job.

With all of this I have achieved very effective shots at about 50 feet.
max range is about 60 ish.

I used a ruler to measure, as I cannot find my dads tape measure.

Edited by 1lastnerfgun, 22 April 2008 - 07:09 AM.

#10 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:22 AM

Sorry if I am being rude, but I don't understand what you mean by that. Please explain.

I think he means that he dremeled out the stock barrel until he could fit a different barrel inside it.

#11 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

That makes no sense unless it's sch40 or something. CPVC fits perfectly in the stock LS barrel, and PETG fits also but is looser.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#12 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Barrel extension is crap. all it does is make the gun look cooler (subjective) aside from that they only decrease performance of the gun unless they are built from the ground up to have a proper seal with the stock bolt or you have rebuilt the whole breech system.If there are any leaks behind the dart or around it you are simply going to waste the air pressure that you send to it from the plunger.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#13 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

Excuse me?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#14 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:29 AM

Excuse me?

I think that CS means that no one has gotten a decent seal on a modified breach, as opposed to a replaced one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users