Grenade Prototype

Its still in the works so don't hate.

34 replies to this topic

#26 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

Unique way of making it work, I like it.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 22 April 2008 - 08:29 PM.

#27 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

I'm glad my idea is being put to use...

I still want to see a "hand-grenade" version of the mouse-trap Nerf grenade. There's just something about throwing mouse traps around at a NERF war that makes me feel happy inside <braces for the onslaught of CaptainSlug's wrath for infringing upon generally accepted safety guidelines>.

#28 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

1. It would have more splash damage if you use stefans.
2. I think you could use a BS air tank in the center of a decent looking cup with a delayed air release and could be throwable.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 24 April 2008 - 02:09 PM.

Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#29 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hey, if anyone has acctually made one of these besides me, then either pm me or make a post and tell me how it went.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time
with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box ***,
Oakview CA 93022. You'll get paid after
we get back. Must bring your own
weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have
only done this once before.

#30 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

12 feet? Kind of disappointing, but, you know, whatever suits your style. I can see the whole mousetrap-trigger being slightly dangerous, but it is a prototype after all. As far as Seoul's idea of a mousetrap hand grenade, I rendered a sketch on MSPaint. Basically, you shove a ton of nano stefans into the barrel, or maybe barrels if you got some special PVC fittings, pull the cocker back and latch it into place with the mousetrap's rod-thingy, and press the button to fire. I guess it's actually more of a mousetrap shotgun, but whatever. Pic:Posted Image
Oh, sorry bout the ginormous pic, Photobucket sucks now as far as editing.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#31 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

12 feet? Kind of disappointing, but, you know, whatever suits your style. I can see the whole mousetrap-trigger being slightly dangerous, but it is a prototype after all. As far as Seoul's idea of a mousetrap hand grenade, I rendered a sketch on MSPaint. Basically, you shove a ton of nano stefans into the barrel, or maybe barrels if you got some special PVC fittings, pull the cocker back and latch it into place with the mousetrap's rod-thingy, and press the button to fire. I guess it's actually more of a mousetrap shotgun, but whatever. Pic:Posted Image
Oh, sorry bout the ginormous pic, Photobucket sucks now as far as editing.

That design gives me an idea for a trip-mine. Aim the barrel in the direction you want, or maybe aim it straight up like a bounding mine. Take a metal stake or 2 (like the hooks you use to hold a tent down) do secure the mine in place. Take another stake and plant it across from the mousetrap along the path you want blocked. Tie a string between the trap and the separate stake. Cover everything with some loose leaves and twigs, or make a little ghillie suit for it. And now we have a Nerf mine.
C8H18

#32 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:31 PM

You guys do realize the potential problems for that, right? Mousetraps have enough force stored in their springs to easily break fingers. What would happen if someone were to attempt to pick up a dart off the top of one of your hidden mines? What if something goes wrong? On top of that, this device isn't war-practical, and the risk outweighs the "benefits." That's only considering the mine, too. The concept of throwing a mousetrap near people in the form of a hand grenade, much less holding it in your own hand, is not "good war conduct," shall we say.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#33 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

It would be easy enough to cover the kill-bar of the mousetrap while still connecting a string to the release. A little plexy-glass and some super glue should prevent the random schmucks from losing a toe. Although a sneaker would protect your feet, and I don't know who would go to a war in sandles.

And a very small trap, about the 2"x4" size, doesn't have enough power to break fingers. I know this because in my one engineering class my sophomore year of high school, we had to build mousetrap cars. So being guys, we had a contest to see who had the nerve to actually set a trap off with their hands. A few of us won a couple bucks. No broken bones. In fact, all I got was a small welt where the kill bar hit my pinkie, which faded after about 5 minutes.
C8H18

#34 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

Larger mouse traps (usually referred to as "Rat Traps") do have enough strength to break fingers, but as Mr. Octane pointed out, the smaller ones have just enough power to make you want to avoid them, but not exactly dangerous.

I still find myself greatly amused at the prospect of "Mousetrap NERFing." If I show up to 'Geddon and people are unloading Victor mouse traps all over the place...I just might wet myself.

#35 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

Larger mouse traps (usually referred to as "Rat Traps") do have enough strength to break fingers, but as Mr. Octane pointed out, the smaller ones have just enough power to make you want to avoid them, but not exactly dangerous.

I still find myself greatly amused at the prospect of "Mousetrap NERFing." If I show up to 'Geddon and people are unloading Victor mouse traps all over the place...I just might wet myself.

Mr. Octane. I like the sound of that.

When I stopped to think about it, a rat trap may even be able to break a metacarpal, depending on circumstances. For those who don't know, metacarpals are the bones in your hand; the bones you break in a boxer's fracture. So fingers aren't the only bones at risk. Moral of the story: be careful. Still, I want to make a mousetrap mine. Got 2 weeks coming up between finals and the start of my internship. I'll let you all know.
C8H18

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users