Photo

Power Armour Made From A Vacuum (work In Progress)

the title says it all

34 replies to this topic

#1 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Ok, I don;t know how exactly to explain this, but my friend and I went down to k-mart to pick up a big blast, and on the way back (we were walking), we saw this Asian guy unloading lots of furniture from a large truck into the neighbor-hood dumpster. He also had an assortment of other crap, including a shiny red vacuum. I asked if I could have it, just for the fun of it, but he actually said yes, because he was planning on putting it in the dumpster anyway (I thought he had just bought it or something because it looked new). So me and my friend find ourselves carrying it back home. Now you may be thinking that this has nothing to do with nerf, but check it out.

Here's the vid so you can see what it looks like.
the video the video

Anyway, were going to make the piece that came off hold pressure, because we pumped water into it, and it didn;t leak, so with a few tweaks (gluing and just checking it over) were going to make it air tight. We don;t except it to hold much air at all, but we want it to work. Anyway, we were scheming ideas, and I though, "why waste the rest of the vacuum, lets do something with it". So were taking it apart right now (Sunday night, April 20th), so here the idea, make a suit of it. We thought of it because the shade of red looks like the iron man red (which were both obsessed with). We will be finishing it probably by next weekend, and keep in mind, this isn;t supposed to be incredible, just work (we make a lot of movies, so were going to be using it for them, but i also wanted to be able to use it somehow in nerf wars or something). Just wondering what you guys thought. Oh, and if your to lazy to watch the video (which I wouldn;t blame you for), here some pictures so you know what I'm talking about.

The back pack (or jet pack in the movie series, the part I want to hold air). I'm going to tee the bottom hole, install a tire vaule in one end, and a pipe to the main gun on the other.
Posted Image

Just a couple more shots.
Posted Image
Attached by straps, take up almost no room, but hold tightly.
Posted Image

The actual vacuum. I'm thinking about using the lower wide part in the middle as a chest plate, cause it folds.
Posted Image
Other views.
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, what do you guys think? And as I said, it's not exactly nerf, but I am trying to make the backpack part hold air to power a homemade, so I thought it was relative enough to be posted.

EDIT: this is also at the bottom, but I want people that haven't read in this forum before to see this know, so they don;t post the same thing that others have.

No, see I want him to do it, because those people who put absolutely no though into compressed air projects deserve to suffer a failure once in a while. And man do I mean failure.

EDIT: BTW, unless you have PVC fitted to the exact internal dimensions, it wont work, if any of that compressed air contacts the vacuume container thing, its going to explode. So in summary, do it anyway. Just make sure you get it on camera when it explodes.

I'm not going to put air in the whole thing, I'm sealing off one very small section, not the hole thing, let me explain. I'm not using the vacuum for a seal for anything, cause that would be retarted, and I guess I didn;t explain this well the first time, so here it goes again. I will be placing PVC in this side pointing down.

Posted Image

The pipe I insert in it will be capped at the end in the backpack, so no air will be in the backpack itself. The PVC isn;t plugged in the picture, because I haven;t gotten the plug yet. But it will slide in like this.

Posted Image

At the end of the PVC coming out of the gun will be connectors to take it down to 1/2 PVC, which will then branch off into a T. One side of the T will hold a tire value, and that other end will be connected to the ball valves, handles, barrels, etc. THE VACUUM ITSELF WON;T HOLD ANY AIR, I'M NOT RETARDED!

And by the way, case your wondering, the PVC I'm using for this is VERY THICK, so it's safe.

Edited by ice, 20 April 2008 - 08:46 PM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

Shouldn't this be in homemades?
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

ARG. Think about this for just a few second please. It is a VACUUM. A VACUUM is rated for VACUUM, which I'm not sure if you're clear on the dictionary definition of the word but a VACUUM is a negative difference in relation to atmospheric pressure. NOT a positive one.

You should not be trying to pressurize things that are not rated for positive pressure. End of story.
Doing so will only result in injury/death.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 20 April 2008 - 07:07 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

ARG. Think about this for just a few second please. It is a VACUUM. A VACUUM is rated for VACUUM, which I'm not sure if you're clear on the dictionary definition of the word but a VACUUM is a negative difference in relation to atmospheric pressure. NOT a positive one.

You should not be trying to pressurize things that are not rated for positive pressure. End of story.

I know that. I was going to reinforce the inside tubing with PVC, sorry I didn;t make that clear, and it's mostly for effect/looks, working was just an added bonus.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker

#5 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

No, see I want him to do it, because those people who put absolutely no though into compressed air projects deserve to suffer a failure once in a while. And man do I mean failure.

EDIT: BTW, unless you have PVC fitted to the exact internal dimensions, it wont work, if any of that compressed air contacts the vacuume container thing, its going to explode. So in summary, do it anyway. Just make sure you get it on camera when it explodes.

Edited by Maeric, 20 April 2008 - 07:18 PM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

You're not going to accomplish anything "reinforcing" any part of the vacuum. You can make a usable tank out of SCH40 PVC pipe and fittings.
No part of that vacuum is going to be usable as a pressure vessel. The plastic it is made out of is not rated for pressure levels even remotely useful for a tank.

The vacuum will offer you nothing but wasted weight for the sake of cosmetic appearance.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 20 April 2008 - 07:24 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

That about sums it up.

The only purpose that will have is picking up everyone's darts after a war. Now I don't know about you, but I don't feel like being the designated maid/bitch and cleaning up afterwards.
C8H18

#8 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:33 PM

Shhhh captainslug. Don't tell him that maybe if we get lucky it will result in injury or death.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#9 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

I'm not going to put air in the whole thing, I'm sealing off one very small section, not the hole thing, let me explain. I'm not using the vacuum for a seal for anything, cause that would be retarted, and I guess I didn;t explain this well the first time, so here it goes again. I will be placing PVC in this side pointing down.
Posted Image
The pipe I insert in it will be capped at the end in the backpack, so no air will be in the backpack itself. The PVC isn;t plugged in the picture, because I haven;t gotten the plug yet. But it will slide in like this.
Posted Image

At the end of the PVC coming out of the gun will be connectors to take it down to 1/2 PVC, which will then branch off into a T. One side of the T will hold a tire value, and that other end will be connected to the ball valves, handles, barrels, etc. THE VACUUM ITSELF WON;T HOLD ANY AIR, I'M NOT RETARDED!

And by the way, case your wondering, the PVC I'm using for this is VERY THICK, so it's safe.
Muker

#10 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:52 PM

Im not sure why everyone wants Ice to die. I like the idea, and if his PVC is that thick, I think it will work.
Hook up a sm1.5k to it, and you will have a backpack version of imaseoulman's airtank that he made into a stock.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#11 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

Im not sure why everyone wants Ice to die. I like the idea, and if his PVC is that thick, I think it will work.
Hook up a sm1.5k to it, and you will have a backpack version of imaseoulman's airtank that he made into a stock.

Thank you, and I was thinking of just making a homemade at the end, but now I'm thinking about making a universal plug to all my air powered guns that I would hook this up to, like tire valves.
Muker

#12 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

If (as you seem to be saying) you're just using the vacuum as a sort of backpack to hold your pressure tank, it's pretty awesome. Be sure to paint the outside of your pressure tank awesomely.

#13 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

Im not sure why everyone wants Ice to die.

It's the Underarmor, no one likes it.

#14 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

You know what ice?....Props.
Back off guys.
He's done more mods than most of us have, and damn good ones too.
Take care ice.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#15 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:33 AM

Back off guys.
Take care ice.

I really like that ice takes the time to post all of his mods, but that doesn't mean they're better or worse than other peoples mods at all.

I'M NOT RETARDED!

Stage three is denial!
Just kidding, good work!

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#16 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

Looks interesting, and I guess it's cool if you're willing to lug around the extra weight (instead of just making a PVC backpack).

Back off guys.
Take care ice.

Although that doesn't really apply to me, I'm pretty sure no one cares. Half the people here just like modding guns, and the other half like actually Nerfing. Basically, people are still going to throw shit at you even if you have done a ton of mods; if people think you're a retard, they're going to voice itv (no offence ice).

You can say anything behind the inpenitrable veil of the internet.

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#17 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:52 AM

I second that. I was really impressed with his painted modded LS. I don't really believe his ranges, but anyway, I think his idea is awesome. I wish I had a air bladder backpack.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#18 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

That's not really fair. People weren't criticizing ice's idea because they thought it was silly or didn't respect him. They were criticizing it because, based on an evident misunderstanding, they thought that it would end in a compressed-air shrapnel bomb.

#19 CyberPunkGunner

CyberPunkGunner

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

It is a VACUUM. A VACUUM is rated for VACUUM, which I'm not sure if you're clear on the dictionary definition of the word but a VACUUM is a negative difference in relation to atmospheric pressure. NOT a positive one.

Perhaps this could become a learning experience for everyone on what pressure is. Please correct me if you know for a fact I am wrong, but pressure is pressure regardless if it is a vacuum or if it is positive. The main reason that the Dirt Devil will end it possible Darwin award(s) is because it is made to be a vacuum; a negative pressure. That means at very best there is an atmospheric pressure of zero inside, such that the only pressure on the plastic will be the general pressure the ambient climate exerts. This is at most 15 psi.
So, if you are lucky you can pump it up with the equivalent of a Airtech pump and get 1 shot. By all means use it to make a cool backpack, or at least one that you find colorful and/or pretty.

As for why people pick on Ice: could be your post behavior. Perhaps if you stopped posting theoretical ideas and stopped acting like our digital letters should effect your self-esteem then people would leave you alone. At the very least don't keep writing back in a squabbling manner.

Edited by CyberPunkGunner, 21 April 2008 - 12:12 PM.

You were born a winner
You were the fastest sperm.

#20 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:24 PM

So, if you are lucky you can pump it up with the equivalent of a Airtech pump and get 1 shot. By all means use it to make a cool backpack, or at least one that you find colorful and/or pretty.

If you had read the edited first post, you would have seen that I'm not having the actually vacuum hold pressure, it will just hold sealed off PVC that will hold pressure.
Muker

#21 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

Perhaps this could become a learning experience for everyone on what pressure is.

Pressure is force per unit area.

Please correct me if you know for a fact I am wrong, but pressure is pressure regardless if it is a vacuum or if it is positive.

Vacuum is technically a volume that is devoid of matter. Pressure is typically caused by a mass of fluid (matter) pressing on an object. So there ultimately cannot be negative pressure. It is an absolute measurement, like Kelvin and Rankine are absolute temperature measurements.

The main reason that the Dirt Devil will end it possible Darwin award(s) is because it is made to be a vacuum; a negative pressure. That means at very best there is an atmospheric pressure of zero inside, such that the only pressure on the plastic will be the general pressure the ambient climate exerts. This is at most 15 psi.

0 psi would be attained as an internal pressure in an isolated volume of mass-free space. At sea level, the Earth averages 14.7 psia.

As far as attaining a truly 0 pressure volume, good luck. Even outer space has a slight pressure to it thanks to interstellar hydrogen (among other things). I read about study that showed an increase in c when the pressure inside the measurement chamber was actually lower than outer space. So if someone figures it out, they may have taken relativity and made it their personal bitch. If you have ever played Mass Effect, you can see what happens if that study is theoretically expanded to a practical point.

As far as using a PVC insert to actually hold the pressure, be careful. I don't know how stable a homemade pressure vessel might be. Worst case scenario, a catastrophic failure could occur with ice sustaining serious injury. But the PVC can probably hold more pressure than the plastic vacuum tank.
C8H18

#22 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

Am I the only one thinking MS or RF20 hookup? I think this is an awesome Idea. Just get an air compresser, fill the thing with air, hook it up to a magstrike with that bike pump bladder mod, and your gonna pwn. You know, I bet if you paint flames on it, it'll work as a fully functional jetpack. [/sarcasm] I really lie this idea. Nice work ice.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#23 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

As far as using a PVC insert to actually hold the pressure, be careful. I don't know how stable a homemade pressure vessel might be. Worst case scenario, a catastrophic failure could occur with ice sustaining serious injury. But the PVC can probably hold more pressure than the plastic vacuum tank.

I've made 5 homemades out of PVC and they all work great, I think I know what I'm talking about when I say that PVC is a great pressure holder for the amount of PSI I'm going to be pumping into it, probably 60.
Muker

#24 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

The "safe" zone for pressurizing PVC with air is below 100psi.

A vacuum cleaner doesn't have to deal with any significant amount of pressure. They are typically driven by a centrifugal blowers which have a rather limited level of static pressure (positive or negative). They can at best achieve -20kPa (-3psi of pull).
Industrial systems can reach up to -40kPa (-6psi of pull).

The force they can apply is dependent upon the size of the aperture the vacuum is pulling on.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 21 April 2008 - 03:21 PM.

#25 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:47 PM

Props, Ice. What I would suggest is getting some real air-tanks and simply mounting then inside the backpack, from their, you can simply hook it up to NRF blasters or wrist-mounted, painted, SMDTGs... The DTGs would probably look cool if painted and integrated into some type of arm-armour/ gauntlet.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users