Favorite Role-playing Game

Pen and paper, that is.

26 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:04 AM

Who here enjoys pen and paper role playing games, games like Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer, Fighting Fantasy, etc.? I've been an avid fan of these for years and I'd like to see who else is.

Edited by Ubermensch, 20 April 2008 - 12:55 PM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#2 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

I played D&D once in my life. I have recently been sucked into a game of Palladium by a group of friends. I was never big on table top games, but this one isn't that bad. This group of friends is not a bunch of weird dudes who play for 12+ hours on a Saturday. Most of us are older and can't be doing that shit anymore.
I hate you.

#3 Borgadin

Borgadin

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

I´ve played D&D and Earthdawn for anyone who is interested Earthdawn on Wikipedia
Statistically 1 out of every 3 persons in the world are crazy, If your 2 closest friends are both sane Guess What?
Fight My Brutes Furball666 and B.A.Hairy

#4 Foam Total War

Foam Total War

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

D&D's fun, I also host a turn based strategy game out of a notebook at lunch. Currently I'm trying to get the Stargate RPG but it's 50 dollars and I'm still saving for a laptop.
Grievous-Juggernaut - Nerf, Flash, Stargate and generally random stuff!
Foam-Universe

#5 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

I love warhammer, I play Tau and Tyranids.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#6 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

I wen't into one of those tabletop places and pretended to be retarted utntill this one creapy guy told me to leave.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#7 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

I used to be an active D&D min-maxer, but I retired when I realized how much of my life it was eating. :blush: I still play, of course. I'm working on a large campaign setting (complete with many class replacements), and I hope to finish it in a year or two.

I've actually heard a lot of negative things about 4E, but I'm wiling to give it a shot.

#8 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

I played some GURPS with some friends of mine, but after awhile it died out... I can imagine myself really liking Pen&Paper if I could find a good GM and a good set of friends that'll stick with it.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#9 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

I changed this topic's title into the more interesting one of "favorite role-playing game"

Well, my favorite is D&D, although I have also heard bad things about 4E. However, I'm willing to try.

Right now, all I'm doing is Fighting Fantasy, since I have nobody to play with. Boo hoo.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#10 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:57 PM

I hate all those games just go out and buy a 1st person shooter like call of duty or halo.

Chubbs

#11 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:59 PM

I've probably spent the most time playing the Hero system (which is pretty much an open-ended gaming framework for any genre). After that, I've played White Wolf a fair amount.

I hate all those games just go out and buy a 1st person shooter like call of duty or halo.

And since you don't like them, we shouldn't play them?

Edited by Carbon, 20 April 2008 - 02:01 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#12 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

Why do you hate them? It takes a great deal of skill to play those games.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#13 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

There's a simple reason why alot of people (like myself) don't play games like Call of Duty and Halo.

It's because the Live system is inundated with so many whiny little whores that I would probably commit unspeakable atrocities to them after having to listen to their pathetic, annoying, idiotic banter for about... 5 minutes. And I'm considered the patient one. The friends that I do have that play those games are so good that it would take me years to get to their level. Unfortunately, the best way to practice is, surprise, on the Live system. So you see, it's a vicious cycle that you don't want me to be involved in. Why you ask? Well, because if you're one of those whiny little assholes, you really don't want me showing up to your door with a large sword. And the times I've played live, I'm been tempted to do that, and much, much worse.

But yeah, I never quite got into any of the table-top games, but I'm open to dabbling. If anyone at DCNO wants to give me a rundown of their favorite game, feel free; I'll definitely give it a try if I have the time (which I should over the summer).

~ompa

#14 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

There's a simple reason why alot of people (like myself) don't play games like Call of Duty and Halo.

It's because the Live system is inundated with so many whiny little whores that I would probably commit unspeakable atrocities to them after having to listen to their pathetic, annoying, idiotic banter for about... 5 minutes. And I'm considered the patient one. The friends that I do have that play those games are so good that it would take me years to get to their level. Unfortunately, the best way to practice is, surprise, on the Live system. So you see, it's a vicious cycle that you don't want me to be involved in. Why you ask? Well, because if you're one of those whiny little assholes, you really don't want me showing up to your door with a large sword. And the times I've played live, I'm been tempted to do that, and much, much worse.

But yeah, I never quite got into any of the table-top games, but I'm open to dabbling. If anyone at DCNO wants to give me a rundown of their favorite game, feel free; I'll definitely give it a try if I have the time (which I should over the summer).

~ompa

I agree with you that there are a lot of butt holes on Live, but I don't let them ruin the experience for me. And no I'm not one of those butt holes that whine. I hate playing with people like that.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#15 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

~ompa

And that cycle is why I play splitscreen instead of xbox live.

Chubbs

#16 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

Again, all my friends who play are already too good; when they can headshot me from across the map while I'm jumping around, how am I supposed to get any better? I can't even get a shot off before I'm dead. Again, there is just little point to people who are just starting or want to get into the game to even bother playing, because the playing field is so unequal; the people who want to play just get so frustrated by playing. It seems like those types of games are good for the people who started in the beginning, or have a whole lot of free time to ramp up their skills.

And I go to Hopkins, and I'm pre-med. I really honestly don't have the 5+ hours per day to hone my skills, like some of my buddies back in Wisconsin do.

Regardless, I'm done defending myself here, there's not much of a point anymore.

I do have a question for you Carbon; I was reading a bit about the HERO system on Wikipedia; it seems kind of interesting. How long (approximately) does a typical 4-person game last? Or for however many people you tend to usually play with?

~ompa

#17 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

You know that's a completely different genre, right?

#18 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

Does star wars Effeminate duals count as an RPG? I play that game every one in awhile.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#19 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:01 PM

You know that's a completely different genre, right?

I know but they are fun. does lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 fit the genre.

Edited by g-force, 20 April 2008 - 06:01 PM.

Chubbs

#20 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

I've played a little bit of D&D, and I'm starting a Savage Worlds game.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#21 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

Don't be an ass. This is a thread about role-playing games, not criticizing first person shooters. If you don't do pen and paper, then don't post. Oh, and learn how to spell retard right. Pretty ironic, huh?

No video game is in the same genre as tabletops.

Edited by Ubermensch, 20 April 2008 - 08:13 PM.

Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#22 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

I play Warhammer 40K when I can find people and also I play Axis vs. Allies tabletop game and a starwars tabletop game. And I will say that those game require far more skills than any first person shooter, my cousin who plays first person shooters is aweful at those games even if he is good at fps games. The reason most games today tell you exactly what to do there is no real thinking involved, enemy AI react the same ways, and online play just requires ample amount of times to get good at but still no thinking invovled. Tabletop games are far harder you have to react to another person and the strategies they come up with and they will react differently. You also have to come up with your own stategies to defeat them no computer is gonna tell you exactly what to do.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#23 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:07 AM

I used to have an old Axis vs. Allies set, but I never played. How is it?
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#24 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:06 AM

I do have a question for you Carbon; I was reading a bit about the HERO system on Wikipedia; it seems kind of interesting. How long (approximately) does a typical 4-person game last? Or for however many people you tend to usually play with?

When I was playing in/running Hero games, they were usually ongoing campaigns that lasted weeks or months, with groups from 4 to 8 people (although 8 was a bit much). Characters take a bit of work to make, so it's not really built for one-shots. The great thing about the system of taking on disadvantages for additional abilities is that it forces you to to create characters that are at some level, flawed, at times fatally so. It brings about a different focus to role playing.

Oh, and rolling 20d6 is a lot of fun.

Edited by Carbon, 21 April 2008 - 09:07 AM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#25 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:29 PM

I used to have an old Axis vs. Allies set, but I never played. How is it?

It's very good in my opinion alot more pieces and it requires alot of strategy and good picks as far as pieces go. But its also alot more money but that is the downside of alot of tabletop games.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users