Photo

Trimav

21 replies to this topic

#1 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

Uhh. I don't have so much to say about this I guess.
I got the idea from dim3's blaster, seen here.
He promised to post a writeup sometime in February, which came and past. I made a 3 turret version..
Here are the pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've had the templates in my notebook, with the intention of making them public. Soooo... Today, I transferred them to 'shoop, and I have them for you.

Download Templates

If you have everything for this, it should be pretty explanitory. There's no set way to make these, so I'll just tell you how I made mine, and the pros and cons of my version.

I cut these parts out of 1/4" polycarbonate, and drilled out the biggest circle parts about 1/8" deep via a spade bit, and drilled out the center holes (if you look at the templates, these should be pretty obvious). I then dremeled out the small holes to the sides of those bigger circles, and dremeled out the bridging area a good bit.

From here I set the turret's rotating cuff into the grooves I had just cut, and the three turrets could fit on there pretty well already. I ran the rotation rods through the back plate, through the turret and into the front plate (the three pronged looking piece), where it gets its cap. From there, you need a pivot for the whole turret assembly. I used a 1/8" diameter rod, to fit through the center of the assembly and into some well measured holes in the maverick shell.

Pros:
It works, it looks bad ass etc, etc.

Cons for this method:
The assembly is a bit wobbly, and the pivot holes are a pain in the ass to get right in the shell

I'd recommend using a spacer that's a hair longer than the turret around the assembly's pivot rod, with lock nuts on the outside. Another option would be to add rods connecting the front and back plates of the assembly to make it less wobbly.

Enjoy.

Edit: Man, I just wanted to mention the slew of shit I did to this mav. Before I did this mod to it (and would have had to redo the seal to the turrets had I not sold it), I had made the turret release button on the right and left sides, it was shooting about 55' flat with a Lt. Stefan spring replacement, it had a straw mod, the replaced petg barrels had 17/32" brass inserts, and a near perfect seal to the turret.

Edited by Split, 30 June 2009 - 08:28 PM.

Teehee.

#2 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

Awesome, when can we see a video of it firing all three?
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#3 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

That thing is a beast! Just integrate an at2k in it and it will actually be war worthy. It seems a bit overkill to have three turrets, so it seems more practical to have two.

Edited by Hi Yah!, 30 June 2009 - 08:48 PM.

The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#4 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

I look at every thread on the haven and rarely post, but due to my immense love for mavericks, this deserves it. Bravo Splitlip... very impressive. Once again proving that you can never run out of mods for a gun, no matter how old it may be. One question; isn't it a wee bit front heavy with all of those barrels? I imagine carrying that thing around at a war will be a bitch.

Edit-Oh, just Split now?

Edited by Poseidon, 30 June 2009 - 08:45 PM.

Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#5 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

That is one insane maverick.

I would imagine that it would be front heavy except for the fact that the barrels are PETG'ed.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#6 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

Thank you very much Split. I had thought about doing this about a year ago (except with 4 turrets, for symmetry) but never got the spark of inspiration. Now I must decide, do I drop clip my Mavs, or do I make the KingMav.

Would making new turrets from scratch be much harder than your heavily modded ones? I only ask because I'd like to own one of these, but also keep the others as loaners for wars.

-Dom

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#7 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:49 PM

I sold this thing a while back. I had lots of other projects to move onto. I really just enjoy making things work. A large majority of the stuff I post on here is either for testing (+pistol, used to push the limits of darts and barrels), or just idealized crazy stuff, that has been troubling people for a long time (drum magazine, auto pumping semi-auto air guns, etc.).

The stuff I actually use in wars are generally just the things you see me put in the mods pictures thread.

Anyway, this thing is more of a novelty. Not meant to be used as a sidearm (best of luck finding a holster for it). It wasn't all that front heavy, mainly because it didn't weigh all that much. These are just plastic toys after all. With 18 shots, who cares if your accuracy is off a bit anyway.

Scratch turrets is an interesting idea. The difficult part would be the hex cuff that fits onto the rotation mechanism, but if you could find a pre-fabricated part that worked for that, I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult.

And yeah, just Split now.
Teehee.

#8 idk59

idk59

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:03 AM

That thing would own if you made it a Nite- Mav.
Would be a handy secondary at wars.
Other wise, nice job like usual. :D

#9 carlough

carlough

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:56 AM

Very nice, This may have more practicality than you thought.
What if you mounted in under the longshot, where the legs used to go?
That would be WICKED!!!!
My next LS will have that. Probably not soon though couse computers are expensive.
RAZZLE FRAZZLE TO THE EXTREME!!!

#10 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

My next LS will have that.

And thus, Split's creation is turned into just another awful idea.

#11 carlough

carlough

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

It was a good idea, but I ruin things alot for people...
RAZZLE FRAZZLE TO THE EXTREME!!!

#12 xCraiG iZ BeasT

xCraiG iZ BeasT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

Holy Crap! That thing is a beast. With a bad ass paintjob, it will be complete.
-Craig
92% of teens would cry if Miley Cyrus was about to jump off a building.
If you are part of the 8% who would say "Jump B****, JUMP!!!!" . . .
Copy and paste this in your signature.

Get some real tools. Man tools. You're not getting it out with scissors. -Wes7143

#13 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

If that thing could get any more bad-ass it'd have to have like magic marker and foam. Oh! and make it look like a shark! THAT WOULD BE ORIGINAL!!!!?!/\/0?!?!?PENIS!?!??!?

/end Flame

Anyways, It looks quite efficient. But how awkward is it to swivel the barrels?
Red Star's Big Rad Bow W/ Red Star Breech
The Red Star Breech

Xbox Live- IS2DI RedStar Add me if your up for some games

#14 ZACHARIAH

ZACHARIAH

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

That is amazing! I imagine it would be interesting to play Russian rulliete (SP?) with that.
"When the pin is pulled Mr. grenade is not your friend." -US army training manual

#15 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

That is amazing! I imagine it would be interesting to play Russian rulliete (SP?) with that.

I'm pretty sure it would be 1/3 as interesting.

#16 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

The russian roulette would be odd, like 2 rounds in each turret, twist the turret holder thingy then when they are in place twist the turret of choosing.

Anyways, very nice mod, looks like a murderous evil monkey for indoor wars of the close range variety.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#17 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

Making it so everything aligned perfectly must have been a bitch. Great work.

#18 pwnchu

pwnchu

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:16 AM

How smooth is the swapping process? Not too smooth, I imagine, since you say the pivots are difficult and it wobbles.

#19 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

Amazingly clean mod. I like how it looks, and I appreciate your posting the templates for the parts.
Fugly is a feature.

#20 dim3

dim3

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

Great mod Split
i have been doing 2 other mods beside the double mav,
that tri mod was also an upcoming mod, with also the quad, but quad is overkil.

great job

i understand the alignment on that is a bitch, but there is an easy way.

#21 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

Care to share it? Or do we have to wait a month.
Teehee.

#22 dim3

dim3

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

Care to share it? Or do we have to wait a month.

Use a larger center rod like 1/4 inch.

have the back plate exactly at 1/4" hole

and at the front 3/8" hole

Having a larger hole in the front will allow you to align it easily when it clicks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users