Be Ye Warned

What not to do, a friendly warning.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Nexios

Nexios

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

Ok, so I am still a major noob, scratch that, I am colonel, no admiral noob with nerf modding. I also have a little tendency to overlook innocuous little details. Here begins the lesson.
So I took my longshot apart, hoping to add a brass barrel to improve my ranges. Now, I only have a few basic tools, but I just so happened to have a shinny new piece of brass that fit inside the barrel rather nicely. So I cut the end of the brass to match the curve of the breach. If you were to consult the popular little diagram of Cpt. Slug's, it would be the section that slides back, then moves forward to pick up the dart. Cutting this small piece by hand with a crappy little saw was tedious, to say the least, so I thought I could save myself some trouble by cutting off the little protrusion from the end of the breach rather than cutting the brass to fit it. Anyways, this is where the point is actually made. That little protrusion is important, like, really important. It appears that that is what pushes down on the dart in the clip so that it slides back in the breach and seals. Without this, the whole gun doesn't work, you thought it had bad range before hand, this is pathetic.
So here I am, short about $50 with a gun that doesn't work. I've tried gluing the piece back on, but the strength is dubious. If anyone has any suggestions (other than shut up and get to the point), I'm all ears....or eyes...I'm new to this whole forums thing.
That's about it, no little protrusion, no shooty darts, no shooty darts, no abused roomates, and that's no fun.
cheers
"Quando omni flunkus moritati."
-When all else fails, play dead.

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

You're in quite the pickle. I'd attempt to reinforce the region with a strip of brass, gluing it both to the top of the piece you broke off and the top of the bolt. You might have to shave off a portion of the top ridge, but your options aren't that plentiful. The interior of the bolt as a point where you could use a brass strip would work too, but if it's not smooth enough, it'll rip your darts to pieces after a while.

I'd recommend a full brass bolt replacement, but that's definitely not something for someone new to modding.

~ompa

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

It's quite simple: Nobody NEW to this hobby should really be trying to modify a Longshot. It's just too complicated.
The function of each part was explained in the diagram.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 Nexios

Nexios

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

Well, I guess I underestimated it's complexity. I do fancy myself mechanically inclined, I've figured out how the gun works, even added a new spring and worked over my maverick within 30 minutes of getting it. Not that either of those is a major accomplishment, I just underestimated the value of that little piece. But it seems like I have it back together for the moment. A little plastic cement applied generously about has secured it well enough for me to reassemble. If anyone cares, I'll post again to report on how it works out. Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be delving into the collective wisdom more in the months to come.

#5 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

I agree, Longshot are pretty difficult to modify (although mine was my second succesful one, after being thrown in the basement for about a week). Everyone should really heed the big warning at the top of the LS Mod thread.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#6 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

I've seen too many cases of people breaking their longshots. I'm probably going to keep mine stock for a while, so I don't repeat the mistakes of others.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#7 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

I don't think longshots are worth staying stock, unless you play indoors. For 30$ a stock longshot is horible for that price. If your going to modify a longshot just be careful and follow everything step by step, search around if anything goes wrong. Chances are your not the only one to break a certain part.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#8 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Actually, the LS was my third gun that I modified (after a Maverick and a Nitefinder, in that order.), and if you have a decent ability with a Dremel and you have a mechanically oriented mind, easy as cake. Or pie. Take your pick.

As to your problem, get some epoxy putty, soonest. And just rough up the surfaces and put a little extra around the cut, but only on the top, so you can still use the clip.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#9 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

That sucks. Try making spaces in between paragraphs, its way more attractive and it makes me more willing to read you whole post too. Do you need a new bolt? Or for some money I could mod it for you.

Maeric: I went Mav>NF>NF>LS :D Longshots aren't hard to mod, they're hard to mod to get right.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#10 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

I believe CS is talking about an all-out mod, including bolt replacement and the like, something that is far from easy for someone new to modding. Basic LS modding isn't too bad.

~ompa

#11 donz2323

donz2323

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

I believe CS is talking about an all-out mod, including bolt replacement and the like, something that is far from easy for someone new to modding. Basic LS modding isn't too bad.

~ompa

Well Even replacing the bolt/breech with angel breech isn't that hard if you have the tools. FA_24's breech write up is very good and lay's out the steps well.

#12 Nexios

Nexios

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

Well...the stupid has just worn off...

I have been trying for days to secure the spike back to the breach tube...nothing has worked. Then I realized what the problem was. I had also removed what I think was called the tooth form the gun. This was causing my problem. The spike seems to have nothing to do with the good operation of the gun.

Anyways, I hope everyone who reads this doesn't have to post a reply just to laugh at me. But if you must, then go ahead, I've earned that one. I've learned to take my time and really plan out what I'm doing before jumping in. Honestly, I don't mind being so very wrong, a little embarrassment is a small price to pay to have my arsenal working again

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some foamy orange death to rain down.

laters.

Edited by Nexios, 22 April 2008 - 02:15 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users