Great Lakes Area Nerf Explosion

11 replies to this topic

#1 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

I got a chance to do a bit of scouting for GLANE this weekend. It looks like Stevens Point, Wisconsin has two different parks that have a lot of potential, about a half mile apart.

The first one is George W. Mead park. It's a disc golf course and playground. It poured and snowed at the end of last week, and with all the recent melt, it was rather swampy, but the area is nice with scattered trees.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm not sure if we'd get to use this, but it has a set of playground equipment that's like a small city. It's awe inspiring.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Directly opposite is the old playground equipment, in a wide open area. It was deserted.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Another open area behind the City:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The tail end of the disc golf course (pavilion opposite)
Posted Image
Posted Image

There's another smaller park on the other side of the river, with a great wide-open field and a bandshell:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And a similar playground:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The rest of the pics here:

These are both right by downtown Stevens Point. Of course, it's not like anything is that far away in Point, it's a small town.

What do you think?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#2 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

Fuck yeah Carbon! I was about to post a thread about a big mid-west war in central Wisconsin, I guess that's been taken care of. That looks like a great place to play and the location is great, my grandma's house is really close to Steven's point. That playground is Effeminate! It looks way better than the one at Highland in St. Paul, except, it doesn't really have as much of a tower.

Edited by venom213, 15 April 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#3 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

When is this war? I will be in wisconsin visiting relatives all over the state and at my relatives lakehouse in northeastern wisconsin. I didn't know there where too many cheeseheads on here. Nice to know.

Edited by g-force, 17 April 2008 - 05:43 PM.

QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#4 MrNerf

MrNerf

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

Can't get there: live all the way down in the southeastern wisconsin boarder.

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

There hasn't been a set date for this war...I was just checking out areas and seeing if there was any interest. However, I'm wondering about sometime later in July for a midwest war. I'm hoping we can get the Illinois and Minnesota crew involved, and really pump up the numbers.

And just as a point of reference (so to speak): I don't live in the central Wisconsin area, I'm in the southeast corner myself. However, I went to school in Point, and still have a lot of friends there. It seems like it would be a good "middle ground" for the midwest states.

#6 MrNerf

MrNerf

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

There hasn't been a set date for this war...I was just checking out areas and seeing if there was any interest. However, I'm wondering about sometime later in July for a midwest war. I'm hoping we can get the Illinois and Minnesota crew involved, and really pump up the numbers.

And just as a point of reference (so to speak): I don't live in the central Wisconsin area, I'm in the southeast corner myself. However, I went to school in Point, and still have a lot of friends there. It seems like it would be a good "middle ground" for the midwest states.

ok, interested in participating in my first nerf war! Let me know when you update with new information!

#7 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

How far would this be from say milwaukie, sheboygen, or theinsville.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#8 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

How far would this be from say milwaukie, sheboygen, or theinsville.

About two and a half hours, give or take. Hwy 45 to 41 to Hwy 10, west to Point.

#9 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Wait a minute; how far are some of you guys located from Brookfield, WI or Milwaukee, WI?

~ompa

#10 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:09 AM

Of course I'll be coming. If it's any weekend after July 12th, I can go. If it's anytime before that, I am very busy and would not be attending.

I have a lake house in Waupaca, so it's not too far from there.

#11 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

If I may be so bold as to speak on behalf of a good portion of the Minneapolis - St Paul area nerfers: Sweet! I know I am interested. Flaming Hilt probably will be too. Yes, after Mid-July is best (most of the grad parties will be over by then, as will the Fourth of July, and my sister's birthday) and I and my friends have been wanting to do an after-senior-year road trip camp-out type dealio.

Only, having it on the 18th is a BIG NO-NO! I can't miss the opening of "The Dark Knight", not even Nerf is worth that.

Carbon, if you could put up a map of Wisconson with the general area of this place marked, I think the masses would be pleased. I would do it but I am at school and have no way to upload the picture because my school has stalinesque internet blocking systems... Or an address might be helpful...
I just looked it up at school on google earth, and for all the Minnesotans out there, Stevens Point is just under 4 hours away from Minneapolis.
I would also like to point out the irony of the name "Stevens Point" as it pertains to us nerfers. (Yea, yea, so the spelling isn't the same... big woop)

That playground adds true meaning to the term "jungle" gym.

Edited by elf_avec_gun, 18 April 2008 - 11:49 AM.

"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#12 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

Cool, glad to hear from the Minnesota contingent. This is developing nicely.

Carbon, if you could put up a map of Wisconson with the general area of this place marked, I think the masses would be pleased. Or an address...

We can do that. You can see Bukolt park right across the river.

As far as a date, the 18th would be out, anyway...weekdays are bad for me. And my wedding anniversary is that weekend. I think I would suffer injury if I went off to Nerf.... I think we may be zeroing in on a date...the 26th or 27th?

EDIT: It looks like we have enough interest....I'll get a proper thread going for this even.

Edited by Carbon, 18 April 2008 - 12:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users