Pinned Painting Thread

just a suggestion

10 replies to this topic

#1 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

Shortly after my account was validated, I had trouble finding information about painting through the search function, so I started a new thread. As it turned out, I wasn't the only one with questions about paint.

Could we possibly have a stickied/pinned painting guide in the modification forum? With a Mod directory already pinned, it seems fair to include a guide to painting, especially with the number of people who had questions like I did.

If I am out of line in suggesting this, I am sorry. I just thought it would be very helpful in the future.
C8H18

#2 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

The mod directory has painting tips.
Like this.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#3 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

The mod directory has painting tips.
Like this.

I looked through the mod directory, and that was the only painting related suggestion I noticed.

What I was talking about was a pinned discussion about painting. For one, it would eliminate a lot of new threads asking questions about painting. And I really think a compilation of painting guides would be really helpful.
C8H18

#4 nerfer75

nerfer75

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:16 PM

I have to agree with eddieoctane on this one. I think it would be quite helpful.
---nerfer75---
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.--Revelation 20:15

#5 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:56 PM

I think people would just ask the question instead of looking, just like they do with modding. And there are alot less people who want to know about painting anyway.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

Everything that would end up in the sticky is what's in the application directions printed on the can anyways. There's no real mystery or magic to the process. You just have to take your time, mask off areas carefully, and sand lightly between coats.

This coming from someone that generally hates paint. I don't bother with anything except Vinyl Dye anymore. It doesn't require any prep work aside from cleaning the surface. Just follow the directions on the can.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

at the same time, anybody who's looking to do a more detailed paintjob, a la Direct Threat, they could probably use some pointers. I think the idea has some merit as far as that goes. It all comes down to how much clutter the admins think they're creating or saving by making the sticky, and it's their call. My guess is it won't happen, because they tend to be pretty conservative with adding things to the site.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#8 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

It's a little strange that I'm posting in this topic, since anyone who has met me figures out that I rarely mod my own guns; my brother mods the guns and I make the darts. That being said, with 8 pinned topics already in the Modifications section I question whether or not we have too many pinned threads. Thus, I am immediately skeptical of adding more pinned topics.

I attend Nerf Wars and that's pretty much it. My forum interests include the Nerf Wars. I've painted one nerf gun in my life. It was a pretty nice camo paint job. Too bad I left it on the ground in the woods of Mill Creek and it was never seen again. My experience is that most people that do crazy paint jobs don't Nerf, with the notable exception coming to mind being Baghead.

I feel like the mission of this place is to foster the exchange of ideas between people who actually go outside and Nerf. As Vacc as so aptly said, the forums exist because of the hobby, not the other way around. Elegant modders, painters, and collectors are not the people I am out to help. I have nothing against their presence, but I don't think they add much to the hobby practically. Painting Nerf guns can look nice, but as far as I'm concerned that's about it. I don't need a nice looking gun that I'm only going to cover in duct tape LCM style.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#9 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

So you started a topic to tell about a topic?
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#10 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

I started a topic to suggest an addition to the forums. I thought that was made pretty clear in my original post. Or maybe we aren't supposed to suggest anything in the suggestion forum.

I linked to my thread as an example. Several people asked other questions in the thread and a few other people started their own. I was suggesting a general painting discussion/guide. Perhaps someone starting such a thread and it being linked in the Modification Directory would be acceptable?

As Vacc as so aptly said, the forums exist because of the hobby, not the other way around.

So why does that make painting bad? For some, the hobby includes making guns more functional and looking nice. I think to exclude people who want that extra touch from the hobby community is a little unfair.

Elegant modders, painters, and collectors are not the people I am out to help. I have nothing against their presence, but I don't think they add much to the hobby practically.

The people who go that extra step show what is truly possible. Duct tape is great for some, but it isn't the option for everyone. I think you'd be surprised how many people value form and function.
C8H18

#11 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

Alright, don't get your flaural print panties in a bundle. This forum, if you haven't noticed, is full of critical assholes and that comes right on down from ownership. Anything you do or say here will likely come under some level of scrutiny.

That said, I'm glad you voiced your opinion and offered a valuable suggestion. We in no way want to discourage that. Just don't expect us to do whatever crazy bullshit people suggest without a little conversation beforehand. If you don't care for that, tough shit.

VACC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users