Maverick Speedloader Mod

It's still in the design phase..

19 replies to this topic

#1 kevinericon

kevinericon

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

It's me again, but this time I got a real mod, not paintjob thread to jam the board. Well at least it's the draft of a mod that I might actually do, oh well, read on.

I've been thinking about fast reload for the Maverick, I do know there is a clip mod which you can change the entire clip barrel, but you'll have to kill many Mavericks for it.

And I thought about the revolver speedloader device, which look like this.
Posted Image

It took me about 5 minutes to draw up something on the paper, then an hour to create a 3d model. It should be pretty easy to understand. Composed of PVC and spring and a lot of cuttings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you still don't know how it works, check out this video. Even if you understood you should still watch it, since I already made it. :P
Demo video on youtube

I designed it to only hold 5 darts, because even after I do the Russian Roulette Mod, the center still obstruct one hole. But you can make a 6 darts holder if you did the clip barrel mod. You don't need to sacrifice other Mavericks just so you can reload faster.

Easier said than done, I don't think making this speedloader will be an easy task, but if I have too much time I will attempt it.

Tell me what you think. I could use some tips before I commit more time and energy into this. (or if this has already been attempted, please let me know.)

#2 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

Man, you are on a roll. I like it. But wouldn't it be hard to push the darts in since there isn't anything to hold onto?
What I'm talking about is that the part that pushed the darts into the barrel. You should hake it longer of something. I'll show you, but can I have permission to use your pic?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#3 kevinericon

kevinericon

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:07 AM

Man, you are on a roll. I like it. But wouldn't it be hard to push the darts in since there isn't anything to hold onto?
What I'm talking about is that the part that pushed the darts into the barrel. You should hake it longer of something. I'll show you, but can I have permission to use your pic?

By all means, use the pic. I kinda get your point, there should be a longer handler, right now you'll have to push the "fin" and it may not be very easy. Thanks for the tip!

#4 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

Posted Image
Look at the greyish lines. Thse should be a little wider. but Yeah, you get the point. Hopefully.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#5 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

Isn't this a bit more of a home-made than a mod?

I was tossing around ideas myself for a maverick speed loader. Well done. I was suprised to not find similar things all over the place. And again, awesome.

1 thing I would suggest is adding something to hold on to. From what I can see, there isn;t much to grasp on the speedloader.What I suggest is a design similar to holding a soup can in your hand with your index finger covering one end. The plunger that drives the darts/stefans into the barrels would be underneath your index finger. With a solid side, you can grip the thing with at least your middle and ring fingers and not get pinched by moving parts. The other advantage of some sort of enclosure would be that it could offer enough support to leave darts in the loader while carrying it in a pocket.

Good luck. If the final design works, I'd love to get a look at the design up close.
C8H18

#6 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

Why not just use something like KBarker has HERE ? If you really want to do what you're doing now, making two o them that hold three darts apiece would be a decent way to eliminate the leftover hole problem.

#7 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

Probably just because it's easier to carry around one slightly larger thing and have (most) of the reloading done in one swift motion, versus having to do 2 or 3 at a time, where you need to take it out of your pocket, put it in, put the empty speedloader into your pocket, take out another one, and then load that one.

Given, it doesn't take a whole lot of time, but one could argue that the purpose of a speedloader is, well, to load the gun in the most expedient fashion. It could also be argued that you don't really need to fully load it each time; just be aware that you have 5 shots, and a very fast loading mechanism. It could be viewed as a benefit over taking the extra time to use 2 speedloaders that load 3 darts each to have 6 shots. I think it's more or less a personal opinion which is better.

~ompa

#8 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

This is a really neat idea, I hope you are able to do it!(Not that I'm doubting you)
TMC

#9 Predalien Ro

Predalien Ro

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Oompa's right, it is all matter of opinon where or not to use a speed loader and how it should be designed. Personally it would be alot easier to just load one dart at a time into your maverick, and then carry around a spare turrent. My dad suggested to me to build one too, but the best I could think of is using some ruff stuff's "sticky" head darts and thin cardboard cut into the needed shape, but you still had to shove the darts in.... eddieoctane has a point, I too wonder why there are very few speed loaders being built...

Edited by Predalien_Ro, 09 April 2008 - 06:07 PM.

Toilet paper is for your ass, not your nerf gun.
Try craft foam if you want to add cushioning to the handle.

#10 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

There is still that whole face on the front of the turret preventing the speedloader going all the way it, basically you'd have to push it in more, if I'm looking at this correctly.

I made a speedloader for my 3K. I took a piece of wood a bit bigger thn the turret, and glues wood dowel around the piece of wood, lining up with the turret. So, you push the darts in the fron of your barrels, than use the speedloader to puah them the remainder of the way in, in one motion.

Sure it takes a tiny bit longer, but oh well. Props on hte idea, and big props if you make it.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#11 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

I have a theory why we don;t see speed-loaders, especially with a gun like the mav, which is begging for a quick reloading device. A loader must be simple and accessible. A mav loader, using the stock brackets that hold the cylinder, doesn't provide access to all 6 barrels. Guns like the hornet, thanks to barrel spacing, would be awkward and unwieldy. So because they don;t work to their fullest or aren't simple to use, we never see any loaders. It's a shame, too.

Kevinericon, if you need any help or want to bounce ideas around, feel free to PM or AIM me. I'd love to have a speed-loader for my Maverick. In fact, I think that little gizmo could make the mav quite an attractive side arm.
C8H18

#12 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:11 AM

I <3 serching. Something like this?
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#13 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

I <3 serching. Something like this?

For a hornet, that design would have to 2-3 times as wide. Holdign a piece of 2x4 width-wise in your hand makes using the loader awkward and therefroe ineffective. But that's about the same basic principle for what I had in mind. Eh, whatever. I prefer magazine fed guns anyway. Now what we really need is a drum magazine for a LS. I'd gladly pay for one of those.
C8H18

#14 Tehmandude

Tehmandude

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

A real revolver:

Uses bullets where the shells have gunpowder in them so they can be ignited to propel the projectile fired.

The back of the turret is big enough so you can push the bullets into the barrel.

A Maverick:

Uses Nerf darts, which are much bigger than real bullets.

There aren't any holes behind the turret that are big enough for Nerf darts, therefore calling for a drill or dremel.

There is an air restrictor inside the back of the turret.

So in order to use a speedloader that functions like a real revolver's speedloader, we need to drill bigger holes at the back of the turret, take out the air restrictor and all of that orange part, and do the CPVC mod halfway without putting in the CPVC, but instead inserting CPVC shells with stefans/streamlines and taking out the CPVC. But taking out the CPVC might be a hassle, so this mod is best not attempted unless I'm wrong about some stuff or I'm missing some major algebra.

Edited by Tehmandude, 10 April 2008 - 03:55 PM.

QUOTE(umdlancer @ Mar 25 2008, 04:29 AM) View Post

If you accidentally clock somebody with a doubleshot, then you're more liable to break the doubleshot than you are to cause serious injury.

PM me if selling a NIB or LNNB LnL.

#15 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to cut out an opening in the front bracket of the clip holder and reinforce it with metal or some kind. That would not require as much modification as drilling out the back. A muzzle loader is fine by me, I just want all 6 barrels at once. I may try to work on that this weekend. If I figure something out, I'll post it up and link to it here.
C8H18

#16 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

By drilling larger holes, you are basically destroying the seal. The holes would be too big for the plunger end thingy. (The part that seals with the turret).
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#17 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

Couldn't you put a peace of craft foam bigger then the hole on the end of the plunger?
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#18 kevinericon

kevinericon

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

For those who didn't knwo what we're talking about, this speedloader will only work if you mod your barrel to look like this. It must go all the way out.

Posted Image

Tehmandude:
The speedloader is supposed to load the darts the same way you do, from the muzzle, just five times faster.

eddieoctane:
If you successfully mod your Maverick pls do post pictures! Loading all 6 darts would be better than just 5! You are talking about drilling a hole in the strut pointed by green arrow right? (which is the only reason my speedloader can only load 5 darts)

#19 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

That's what I was thinking, but I am not sure that the cylinder will still roll far enough out to completely clear the 6th barrel. And I am not sure how strong the plastic will be once a large chunk is taken out. So I am thinking some reinforcement may be necessary so the remainder of that bracket doesn't just snap off. I haven't really looked at the underside of the bracket, though, so I don't know what is necessary yet.

But I will definitely post some pictures of what was done to get everything in place. Then you can actually put your speed loader into production.
C8H18

#20 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:02 AM

KBarker doesnt use a speed loader it is a ram rod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users