Nerf Gun Malfunctions/breakages

Tell us all about your misadventures with nerf guns

54 replies to this topic

#1 QuannyG

QuannyG

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:05 AM

Well, seeing as though my NF's plunger has just had a neat little hole ripped from it by the screw holding it in place, I would like to know from the NIC what malfunctions you have had over the years in your nerfing. Spare no details!!!

EDIT: In addition to the NF's plunger, I have also had two Maverick's cocking pin retainers broken (although the second maverick was fixed with a nut, bolt, washer and hot glue), 2 Rapid Fire Rifle's internals break on me, one of which took a chunk out of my finger when I tried to fix it and one Double Shot's cocking mechanism malfunction.

Edited by QuannyG, 08 April 2008 - 06:37 AM.

QuannyG: School Captain

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:13 AM

Oddly enough, the exact same malfunction as yours, no less than 10 hours ago.

That, and my AT2k's have had probably every problem AT2k's could have. One had the tubing ripped, the other had a check valve that was busted, the other had the rubber diaphragm that kept the goo tube separate ripped, and the other had the actual chamber itself become a little quirky (somehow the firing pin(?) got misaligned).

~ompa

#3 Frankie27

Frankie27

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

Well I was working on my Tek 4 turret and some guy over at NHQ told me to cut the nob that holds the turret just a little shorter so there is more pressure. So I did so and it worked for a while (like an hour) then just completly shredded the plunger tube and permanently ruined the turret. So to repair it, I singled it with make the gun way better. So I'm happy.
Admin of No. 1 Australian Nerf Site - Oz Nerf

#4 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:51 AM

My magstrike is a complete ruin. One day, I decided to remove the opv. In the process of removing the bladder in order to use a saw, a slight tear appeared on the tube. I put super glue on it and put the gun together. On the first shot the said tube and firing mech exploded.
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#5 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Well, the tab on my first maverick's plunger tube broke so it's spare parts now, My friend temporarily jammed my buzzsaw (Later, my sister sat on it and it works fine now), I screwed up the front gun from my longshot (Only slightly, I could have used it, but it sucked anyway) while trying to remove the AR's with a drill, and though it barely counts, on my venom DTG, the pump was really hard to move compared to the spider man one, and upon dissection I found that the pump had no lubricant whatsoever. I fixed it easily.

So...yeah. I haven't had any major problems like primaries or favorite guns breaking, only stuff that's either fixable or stuff I don't care enough about to fix. Guess I'm lucky.

EDIT: I almost forgot, my blue hornet seems to slightly leak a bit of air out of the barrels when pumped, so the darts pop halfway out and can fall out of the barrels. So I either pump, then load, or just give the ammo a little push back into the barrel after pumping.

Edited by Captain, 08 April 2008 - 03:32 PM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#6 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

I have a mod to fix broken Mav/Xfire/Scouts tabs. Very easy/cool too. I'll post it on here wit hpics when get a chance. For now, it's words.

Take a NF/TTG plunger rod, and glue it on the back of the reverse plunger tube. (The tube with the catch and tab.) Cut a hole in the back of the case for the rod to fit through and you're done! It should look like a nite-mav or Cross-finder when done. Instead of the slide, you have a Nf plunger rod.

MY IDEA :D . I'll post it next week because i'm free then.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#7 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

i think i have the winning catastrophes.

1) in a floor war with my buds, I accidently dropped my maverick off of a third story balcony. obliterated.

2) my first longshot was strapped on my back when i was splitting wood in my yard with a hydraulic log splitter. cut in half.
OIC of 34th Light Combat Battalion, Talk to me about enlistment.

#8 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

Anyone remember the kids with the asploding maxshots? These were maxshots without replaced springs or anything, that just... blew apart due to the force that beefy spring had.

Here is an old thread with some of the accidents of the older members.

Ragornocks still has one of my favorite accidents with the cartridge.

~ompa

#9 Jollex

Jollex

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

Later, my sister sat on it and it works fine now

So added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole!

#10 Sleebo

Sleebo

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

Well, let's see I:

1. Broke my maverick, I tried pretty much every mod on the NIC. But, to no avail, it shot 3 feet. It was probably because I obliterated the orange rings with a dremel (I forgot what was my logic behind doing that) .

2. Also, I did a CPVC mod for my Firefly, and (at the moment) it doesn't work. I believe I cut the CPVC too short and so I'll have to try that again.

And 3. My friend and I just took apart my Vortex Tornado. My friend said that he wanted to see what was inside (?). And, I was shocked at all the parts that are in it. So that's scrap, but it had a really long spring that I will most likely use
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 13 2008, 09:58 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Nonsense Man @ Apr 13 2008, 05:48 PM) View Post

Ya FA24 put felt in between the bolt handles and the shell of the gun.

FA24!? is that a grade of felt or something!?

#11 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

You took apart a perfectly good vortex tornado just to see what was inside...that's just...horrible....wow big mistake...Oh well such is life.

#12 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

On one of my first gen Nf's, I wanted to add weight, so I filled the battery holders with hot glue, not thinking that it would now closed forever.

So I took it to the extreme, filling the space with the light with hot glue.
It now weighs almost a pound.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#13 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

I had just finished Lil' Elvis, my super-duper modded NF, and decided to test it. I went over to my friend's house for a war, and one of the kids who was there ripped the plunger (minus the head) straight out of the gun.

It gets worse. I was working on my CrossFinder, waiting for the epoxy to set, when I accidentally knocked it off my workbench. All the parts went flying. When I reached down to collect the parts, I accidentally dropped the other half of the case and rolled over it with a my wheelie chair, destroying it... :D
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#14 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

I was attempting to mod my LS by taking out the AR's when I tried to used a power drill for some odd reason. I started to drill and the LS part starting blowing apart, and it was obliterated. That's my story.
TMC

#15 Sleebo

Sleebo

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

You took apart a perfectly good vortex tornado just to see what was inside...that's just...horrible....wow big mistake...Oh well such is life.

No I didn't my friend (andrej on these boards) wanted to. Also, the vortex tornado didn't work so I was eventually going to take it apart but my friend wanted to first. So....o well, my friend's an idiot.

Edited by Sleebo, 08 April 2008 - 06:33 PM.

QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 13 2008, 09:58 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Nonsense Man @ Apr 13 2008, 05:48 PM) View Post

Ya FA24 put felt in between the bolt handles and the shell of the gun.

FA24!? is that a grade of felt or something!?

#16 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

Ok I see, the whole not working thing makes it alright.

#17 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

I don't worry about it because when I screw up my mods, I take the gun back to Target. Yes, thats right. They took a AR removed Mav, totally effed up, no questions asked. I think I took a Nightfinder that broke back too, I can't remember now. I think the most I ever mangled a nerf gun was with my first mav, the one I took back. I removed the ARs and the orange disks, and did the Russian roulette mod too. Then I tried to fix it by gluing straws in the holes where the orange disks with the pegs were. No good, so I put it back together, and took that sucker back. I can only imagine the reaction they had when they took a closer look.

#18 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

Eh, I haven't gotten it that bad...yet. I had a modded Single Tek where the cocking mechanism snapped somehow, I still don't see how it exactly snapped where it did, I didn't do a spring replacement, and it broke at a place where the plastic was thickest. But, it isn't that serious, easily fixable, I'm just procrastinating.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#19 Dangaard

Dangaard

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

I have destroyed 6 mavericks, (no luck with it whatsoever)

while I was drilling out my LS AR I stuck the 3/8" drillbit into the meet of my hand at the base of my left index finger, barely missed the tendon, butterfly bandaids FTW.

Blew the tank on a sm3k green, before I sudo knew what I was doing I obliterated a at2k, killed 2 nightfinders when I tried to mod them side by side with a comunal trigger with a DS shell loading system infront of the lot.

I'll add more when I remember.
Discretion is the better part of valor, thats why I carry a very big axe.

You can fool some people all of the time and everyone some of the time, but you cant fool all the people all of the time, but it sure is fun trying.

What have I got in my pocket? (tolkien)

#20 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

Second Longshot, firing about 12 feet with a BBB spring.
Sacrificed it to the gods of CPVC.
Currently awaiting the breath of life.
Fucknuggets.

Edited by sputnik, 09 April 2008 - 09:53 AM.

tcambre on IRC.

<3

#21 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

I threw a maverick over my fence, because I was frustrated with the POS, and it broke a neighbor's window. Then about a month ago, I got my Disk Shot run over by a car when I set it down in the street for a second (Only one of my dumb-ass mistakes) when I went to get a dart from my neighbor's yard across the street. Obliterated. This is a somewhat unrelated note, but when my family and I went camping at Fort Flaggler state park, WA, (for you Washingtonians, it is near Port Townsend), and I was wearing a pair of crocs, (We were on the beach), and I was walking around in the shallow water with them, and I got my foot stuck in the sand. So I try to get it out, and my foot came out with the shoe slightly on it; the shoe slipped off my foot and is now floating somewhere in Puget sound, or maybe even the pacific ocean. Who knows, maybe some child in Japan will find my lost shoe. (I lost it about two years ago)
EDIT: Two Hundredth post! WOOT!

Edited by Bomberman, 09 April 2008 - 03:52 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#22 Your nerf killa

Your nerf killa

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

1: the worst thing that happened to me in nerf was 4 days after getting the Iron Man MagStrike, it was fun but
i was going crazy with it pumped really fast shot the whole clip out and slammed it back in and broke the tooth to lift the clip.
:D

2: trying to mod a scout
:o

Edited by Your nerf killa, 28 April 2008 - 09:20 PM.

" Talio likes to eat his own shit. " crispy

" Okay, I have a few things to say:

1. My shit is glorious.
2. Sitting around at a computer all day eating chips is fucking awesome.
3. I liked how you called me big meany head. I'll use that one next time Vacc calls me a faggot. " Talio

#23 madmax

madmax

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

Worst thing that has ever happened to me: let a friend touch my LS. He couldn't get the cocking handle forward, so put the muzzle on the ground and essentially jumped on it, needless to say, the bolt sled is now in ruins. Then i tried FA's brass breach mod on it and made it shoot a whole 10 FEET.

Second Worst, i accidentally guerrilla glued my at2k air chamber to the shell, then while trying to take it apart, snapped the air chamber in half. This was while i was still crappy at modding guns. Now most of the guns i mod break a month down the road, not twenty minutes.

Edited by madmax, 29 April 2008 - 06:36 PM.

Tech Target Breech
Zues Bottom of page

Trespassers will be used for scientific experiments

DAMN! I just lost the game...

#24 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

Madmax, is your friend retarded or something? Obviously if you can't get the bolt forward, jumping on it isn't going to make things better. I thought my friend was bad, but he only tries to use the wrong kind of ammo and doesn't seem to grasp the concept of some guns if I'm not there to instruct him how to use everything, and he has grubby hands that seem to leave a moist residue on the handles of my guns. That one bothers me the most, because I shouldn't be able to tell which guns he has and hasn't been using...eww.

But as something to add to this discussion, my hornet sometimes has the characteristics of a person or animal. It seems to get "tired" after active use and needs to take a break, after which it works fine. Sometimes it just refuses to pressurize like it's in a bad mood or something, and other times it works like a dream. I still love it though, because hornets look great in blue.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#25 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

There is such a thing as too much power. My longshot destroyed itself. Pretty uneventful but very annoying. After a while the plunger tube cracked from too much spring power smashing into it. luckily I have a couple spare LS's and I just robbed the tube from another and pulled the extra spring. in addition to that I jus swapped the internals for a CPVC breech. in the end it did cut down on my ranges a bit since I wasn't pushing so much air. But I like reliable.`
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users