Photo

The New Shall Replace The Old

By: Green

52 replies to this topic

Poll: Old Vs. New (133 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think older guns are better?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Wax

Wax

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

I think when noobs just beg for a XBow even though it has a very good reputation they are being a hypocrit big time. IF YOU LIKE A GUN LIKE IT BECAUSE YOU'VE USED AND LIKE THE PREFORMANCE,ECT.

What, you can't desire to own something that you haven't already used? Well crap, I guess I can't want a Corvette cause I've never sat down in one.

I have no problem using old or new blasters, however, the nostalgia of the old blasters is part of the reason I like them. I remember going out and buying SM1500s and PCs, receiving an LNL or a DT3 or a BnA (all brand new) as gifts when I was considerably younger. The guns of my childhood hold a special place in my heart.

That being said, the LS I've got coming is going to be kickass. Definitely looking forward to it.
Wax in the Nerf universe, wax4213 everywhere else.

#27 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

I prefer the newer guns for a
I do like all the new gizmos and moving parts Nerf is coming out with. It gives me more to tinker around with.

And more things to break.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#28 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

I do like all the new gizmos and moving parts Nerf is coming out with. It gives me more to tinker around with.

Only if you suck at modding.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 08 April 2008 - 10:01 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#29 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

Eh, just through normal wear-and-tear is I think what he's getting at. Guns with less moving parts should in theory last longer than guns with more moving parts. Plus, with all the high-powered springs and banding people are putting in, reinforcement is harder to do with more complicated guns. It's harder to reinforce the gears/bolts/etc. and the spots the gears are attached to the case than it is with simpler guns without gears/bolts/etc. I'm not saying it's impossible, as I'm fully aware there are plenty of people who can do it, but as for the majority of modders, it is an extremely difficult task to undertake.

And come now FA, let's not demean the other members too much.

~ompa

#30 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:15 PM

Well then LOTS of people "suck at modding" (including myself) because there are a shit-ton of broken Longshots and Recons out there. But I've seen just as many break from normal use.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 08 April 2008 - 10:17 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#31 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

Alright, Alright. I cannot expect everyone to be as good as me.
(This egotistical comment brought to you by the fact that I know it bugs Baghead)
:P
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#32 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

Then I suck at modding.

EDIT: ^ Note: it doesn't bug me when you do it on purpose, and honestly, what bugs me is when other people worship ANYONE on the forums, not just you.

Edited by baghead, 08 April 2008 - 10:37 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#33 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:31 AM

I merely skimmed the replies (I tried my best! :P ), and I don't know if this has been covered.

Rarity.

The older guns are simply rarer. It's far more appealing to whip out dual LnLs in the middle of a battle merely because they're far more sought-after than, say NiteFinders. A BBB or SM5k is so much sexier because they're far rarer than guns that we can purchase today by walking into Wal-Mart and dropping a few bills.

Think about it - why restore that '67 Mustang that you spent hour upon hour trying to merely find? It's desirable. It represents years long past, and this is appealing. Kids may walk into the dealership and have their parents buy them a brand new car, but having something from the past just hits that spot, and that feeling is just so unique..

Edited by MysticFalcon182, 09 April 2008 - 12:31 AM.

#34 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:31 AM

EDIT: ^ Note: it doesn't bug me when you do it on purpose, and honestly, what bugs me is when other people worship ANYONE on the forums, not just you.

Say not such things, O head of bags, lest You lead Your faithful into confusion! We are not ready for such revalations!

#35 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

I merely skimmed the replies (I tried my best! :( ), and I don't know if this has been covered.

Rarity.

The older guns are simply rarer. It's far more appealing to whip out dual LnLs in the middle of a battle merely because they're far more sought-after than, say NiteFinders. A BBB or SM5k is so much sexier because they're far rarer than guns that we can purchase today by walking into Wal-Mart and dropping a few bills.

Think about it - why restore that '67 Mustang that you spent hour upon hour trying to merely find? It's desirable. It represents years long past, and this is appealing. Kids may walk into the dealership and have their parents buy them a brand new car, but having something from the past just hits that spot, and that feeling is just so unique..

I did mention rarity for a reason why some people favor older guns, but thank you for your insight anyway. Any comments are appreciated.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#36 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

Who said no. They pretty much are you should have had at least put "It depends on the gun"
Oh and I ment more of have seen the prefomance of the gun but it's better if you have used it.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#37 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

A BBB or SM5k is so much sexier because they're far rarer than guns that we can purchase today by walking into Wal-Mart and dropping a few bills.

Uhm you do know that BBB's are in stores. Hasbro re released them .
QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#38 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:15 AM

I did mention rarity for a reason why some people favor older guns, but thank you for your insight anyway. Any comments are appreciated.

Hmm, must've missed it when I read the topic.

I wasn't aware of that, but now I am. :P

I haven't played in many years.

#39 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

Whoa... What the fuck are you doing back here?

Nice to see you're still around.

~ompa

#40 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

Hmm, must've missed it when I read the topic.

I wasn't aware of that, but now I am. :P

I haven't played in many years.

The BBB's are at target, 20 bucks and they come with 6 red arrows. Pretty sweet, huh?
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#41 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

Hehe wait, didn't your Pump shotgun and Doomsayer each respectively break at their first wars?

#42 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hehe wait, didn't your Pump shotgun and Doomsayer each respectively break at their first wars?

Clever girl:

Pump shotgun level 2 broke at Apoc because I got greedy and kept amping up the power by adding more layers of hot glue to the bottom before the war. It was firing harder and farther than when I did the write up.
Lets not forget the ridiculous heat that was practically melting our guns anyway.

The Doomsayer I was using broke in the last round of Hell Before Halloween for a few reasons. The screw port that was holding the thread in place is not the strongest and I got super greedy and also replaced the industrial sping with an even stronger industrial spring. I know what broke and its an easy fix. All I have to do is bring back the old weaker industrial spring. and replace the weak screw port with a machine bolt that is smooth in the middle.

The other Doomsayer I made for the Cardiac-Kid was created with similar ranges and worked well all through the war and still functions today.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 15 April 2008 - 10:23 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#43 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:49 PM

Besides, the best way to pick a spring for a nerf gun is to keep putting in stronger ones until it breaks, then buy another one ans use the second-strongest. :P

#44 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:59 PM

I want your source of income. I definitely can't afford to run around screwing up guns like the Longshot left and right and replace them every time I go too far with one.

Then again, my college tuition plays a huge role in diminishing my income. It makes me cry every time I see the bill.

~ompa

#45 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:34 AM

Blame the broken American economy. KEEP DISCUSSING!!!
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#46 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:13 AM

Well, I have a full scholarship for school and a job, and I still can't afford to break any guns. I could afford to break a nitefinder, but I would have to wait a week to replace it. Everything is too bloody expensive.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#47 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:40 AM

I want your source of income. I definitely can't afford to run around screwing up guns like the Longshot left and right and replace them every time I go too far with one.

I was joking, of course. The real key is to let the NIC do the first part.

#48 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

I think everyone's getting a bit off topic, let's leave this alone unless we have something to say about old vs. new nerf guns.

baghead: Sorry I was backseat moderating, but with two sub-conversations going on that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, somebody had to say something...

Edited by Captain, 16 April 2008 - 03:05 PM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#49 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

I think everyone's getting a bit off topic, let's leave this alone unless we have something to say about old vs. new nerf guns.

I think you're trying to backseat moderate...

Anyway, If it wasn't Effeminateally clear by my previous statement, I'm not a fan of many of the "newer" guns. I started into this hobby in the AirTech heyday... with 90 percent of my comrades using 2ks... as the chief modder, I wound up spending a shitload of time fixing simple guns that they had broke....fortunately they're fixable...I'm really happy I don't have to work on trying to repair longshots and whatnot now. most of the more complex guns, are the bane of my existence. I haven't successfully modded a hornet or blastFire in my life, and I did a successful half-assed mod on my longshot, only to break it when I tried a more complex mod. and well... it can't be fixed. about the only time something that may be considered "complex" that I've done involved a very simple task, and that was chaining air systems.

Classic Springers have an uncanny ability to be neigh-indestructible. And because they're simple, just about anything that breaks can be fixed/replaced. same goes for most air pressure pump guns; they're not that tough to fix/replace parts on... of course. most older guns were considerably less expensive than current blasters (2x 2ks for 10 bucks much?) not that that matters much now, older guns are no where as inexpensive as they were when they were in stores.

-Bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#50 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:57 AM

Whoa... What the fuck are you doing back here?

Nice to see you're still around.

~ompa

Haha hey ompa, great to see you're still here. :D

I think about last week, I was on one of the forums I frequent nowadays, and a topic about Nerf came up; I linked the topic creator to NH, and decided to pop up here and poke around. I'm poor as hell right now, and nobody Nerfs in my immediate area, so I doubt I'll start up again. <_<

The BBB's are at target, 20 bucks and they come with 6 red arrows. Pretty sweet, huh?

Man, I wish I had some money...I'd like to go out and buy a gun and mod it again. I wonder where my old SM5K went. :(

Anyways, uh, sorry about the off topic-ness (on the Off Topic forum, hehe). I'll leave. :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users