New Ammunition Type?

Expanding Foam Ear-plugs?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:12 AM

Okay, so I'm totally not sure where to put this, but modding seems to be a good fit. Admins/Mods, please move this to correct location if you feel it fits someplace else.

Now, dispensing with the formalities,

Okay, so I was fooling around with making some stefans and looked at the dia of the expanding foam ear-plugs and they were the same as a Nerf Micro Dart. After a little messing around, mostly figuring out a good way to muzzle-load my LS without jamming it or fking it up, I was able to shoot them roughly 10-12ft with just the AR removed. I'm thinking I'd get better compression, and hence better range, if I had a bigger spring, a better seal, and the over-pressure hole was sealed (and oversight I made when I took out the AR.)

Anyway, what do you guys think? The ear-plugs are already bullet-shaped and carry a fair amount of weight because they're dense foam for sound dampening. What if they were combined with a shorter FBR stefan to form a slightly heavier stefan with better aerodynamic qualities? If you guys think it's a good idea, I'll do some work on my end and post my findings.
Gimme back my bullets....

#2 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:51 AM

The only bad part is that you probably cant buy earplugs in bulk. The cost would be a main problem. 10-12 feet isnt that great with AR removed longshot.
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#3 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:05 AM

Anyway, what do you guys think? The ear-plugs are already bullet-shaped and carry a fair amount of weight because they're dense foam for sound dampening. What if they were combined with a shorter FBR stefan to form a slightly heavier stefan with better aerodynamic qualities? If you guys think it's a good idea, I'll do some work on my end and post my findings.

You don't need our permission to experiment. Just do it.

Over the last six years, people have tried using disposable foam earplugs as potential ammo replacements with mixed results. However, compared to a roll of FBR, there really is no comparison. If you somehow, someway, get disposable earplugs in bulk or for free, then it would open up opportunities for you to do some r&d and share what you know.

Since most of us probably cannot obtain earplugs without actually purchasing them (even if they were .50 /pair, that 's almost like $2.40 a foot in comparison to FBR at 4 bucks for 50 feet), we'll probably stick with FBR for now. Good luck with your testing!

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#4 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:30 AM

You can buy a pack of 200 at home depot for like $5 or so. They're conically shaped though, so I'm thinking that there'll be a crap load of tail spin with em. I can definitely see them as a shot gun shot in a lbb or something though.
Teehee.

#5 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:52 AM

Huh, sounds interesting. In fact, foam earplugs might actually have a use for something else I was trying. Thanks for the idea!
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#6 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, one of my friends made these a while back. They're pretty good, and can fit into almost any barrel (so squishy), but they're $3 per 6. As for the conically shaped ones, they're too small for even CPVC.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#7 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

Okay, so I've had a little time to do some legwork on this project, and I'm pleased to say my first few tests with foam earplugs + FBR are promising to say the least. Not only do they get better range than a steamline dart and a converted micro, they show promise in many guns.

My only problem is finding an adhesive that dries quickly, the amount of weight added is negligible, and most importantly, doesn't dissolve foam. Two-sided tape works only so well because of the porous surfaces of both, and while it holds up nicely for testing purposes, it wouldn't survive the heavy abuse that a Nerf War would inflict. Can you guys recommend an adhesive for foam?

As for getting ear-plugs, there's literally a pallet of them sitting in my college's welding shop. I'm sure they wouldn't mind at all if an entire box just up and disappeared, hell, I doubt they'd even notice. I also wear an overshirt with extremely large pockets, so filling it up with them isn't out of the question. I'm able to carry 3/4 of a 24-pack of caffeine coca cola in it with no problems at all.

I should be able to post a full write-up on this once it's finished. Sorry for the lack of pics, my digital cam's battery is dead and I haven't had a chance to get over to Target to get a new one.

Edited by Bullet Dragon, 29 March 2008 - 03:59 PM.

#8 marriedmynitefinder

marriedmynitefinder

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:04 PM

Are you talking about these, if so yes. They can be used. I use them a lot for shotgun ammo, and my uncle gets them for free at his work :) .

Edited by marriedmynitefinder, 29 March 2008 - 10:07 PM.

I prefer apple bottoms. Yeah, I said it.
-direct threat

#9 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:38 AM

Are you talking about these, if so yes. They can be used. I use them a lot for shotgun ammo, and my uncle gets them for free at his work :P .

Well, the same material, but the conically-shaped ones not the barrel-shaped ones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users