Photo

Nerf Convention

23 replies to this topic

#1 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:42 AM

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while. But it is kinda expensive. Ok, I'm thinking that maybe I could rent the ballroom in the seattle hilton, and then have a nerf convention there. Rooms would be provided if you RSVP (maybe like 50 free rooms) but I just need a survey of who would want to fly out to seattle washington for a free room and an indoor and outdoor all day nerf wars. We would stay 2-3 nights and on the first day INDOOR WAR! Then on the second day OUTDOOR WARS! And every day we would go to a freakin TGI fridays or something. We wouldn't just war though, when we aren't waring we will be having a trade show of sorts.

This will be in the somewhat distant future if it happens, so yea at least a couple years.

Edited by pulletman, 29 March 2008 - 12:43 AM.

QUOTE(Ro-Sham-Bo @ Mar 28 2008, 08:28 PM) View Post

(Never heard an old woman scream so loud) -Don't sigg that

QUOTE(Crimmy @ Apr 23 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

i'm retarded

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:46 AM

And you're sure you understand how ridiculously expensive such a thing would be? For both the organizer and the attendees?
Not likely to take place. This hobby is about having fun on the cheap in primarily public places.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 29 March 2008 - 12:47 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

Wow, this would be pretty awesome, although I doubt many east coaster's would want to fly all the way out for a convention in Seattle. Although, I wouldn't want a room and would rather just drive there because I live in Washington.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#4 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:59 AM

And you're sure you understand how ridiculously expensive such a thing would be? For both the organizer and the attendees?
Not likely to take place. This hobby is about having fun on the cheap in primarily public places.

Yea... only plane tickets and food would not be paid for, but yeah, lets see a plane ticket from NYC is $347 roundtrip. From DC it is $291. Texas is $276. San Fransisco is $174. Add about $50-$100 for the food. So it isn't that expensive (unless you are in college, which many of our members are).

Oh and seattle is a beautiful place, It's like california but the sky doesn't have that brown tint to it.

Edited by pulletman, 29 March 2008 - 01:00 AM.

i'm retarded

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:11 AM

No, I'm referring to

rent the ballroom in the seattle hilton

Renting Event space is expensive. ESPECIALLY enough space to have an indoor war which would optimally require a room big enough to hold 200 people in theater style seating.

I'm not sure what the prices are like in Seattle but around me they start at $2,000 for 8 hours of hotel convention space. Unless of course it's an out-of-the-way venue where prices start at $600. Sometimes libraries are free, but they usually only let non-profit organizations or community groups use space. And Nerf wars don't qualify.

If you have an "IN" that gets you free event space and free hotel rooms that's another story. But even so you're not likely to see people traveling great distances until you manage to build up the reputation of your event locally first.
East coasters fly to Armageddon BECAUSE they know in advance that they are going to have fun (half of which is largely centered around shooting Falcon). And that is what makes the expense worth it.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 29 March 2008 - 01:13 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

No, I'm referring to

rent the ballroom in the seattle hilton

Renting Event space is expensive. ESPECIALLY enough space to have an indoor war which would optimally require a room big enough to hold 200 people in theater style seating.

I'm not sure what the prices are like in Seattle but around me they start at $2,000 for 8 hours of hotel convention space. Unless of course it's an out-of-the-way venue where prices start at $600. Sometimes libraries are free, but they usually only let non-profit organizations or community groups use space. And Nerf wars don't qualify.

If you have an "IN" that gets you free event space and free hotel rooms that's another story. But even so you're not likely to see people traveling great distances until you manage to build up the reputation of your event locally first.
East coasters fly to Armageddon BECAUSE they know in advance that they are going to have fun (half of which is largely centered around shooting Falcon). And that is what makes the expense worth it.

Seattle is actually surprisingly inexpensive, I can rent it for a couple of days for about $360. Yay being underrated! Hmm... a library might work better though.

Edited by pulletman, 29 March 2008 - 01:26 AM.

i'm retarded

#7 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:45 AM

I was under the impression that Nerf Wars were Nerf Conventions.

In fact, there's a "convention" coming up soon. It's called Armageddon.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#8 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:20 AM

As Slug mentioned, in order to host this kind of thing you usually need to build a reputation. Adding to that point, there also needs to be a strong local presence. People don't like to travel unless they know there is a good supply of local nerfers that will beef up the numbers and target count. That's how California and New Jersey get nerfers from across the country (and from other countries) to show up. Being one of the NJ guys, I can tell you it takes a while to build that kind of reputation.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#9 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:34 AM

To rent 50 rooms for two days at say a minimum of $50 a day is alone $5000 bucks.. Plus, they're usually a lot more expensive than $50.

Good thought, but insanely impractical.
Teehee.

#10 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

To rent 50 rooms for two days at say a minimum of $50 a day is alone $5000 bucks.. Plus, they're usually a lot more expensive than $50.

Good thought, but insanely impractical.

I just searched for that hotel, and it is $239 a night. I don't think anyone wants to pay out $25,000 just for the rooms.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#11 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:27 AM

You can get bulk packages which makes the rooms cheaper. Go to
http://www.hilton.co...cial&it=Tnav,GM
and fill out all of the stuff to get a pricing request. It takes 24 hours to process.

Seriously though, if the rooms are free with breakfast and stuff, I'm sure a bunch of us could bus out there or what not.. Carpool.. :cry:
Teehee.

#12 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

Ok, if I were to get RSVP from like 50 people than anyone coming would have fun... but alas I need to build up my NH rep, I have a couple of mods I am working on and they is nice...

EDIT: I just submitted a quote to the hotel and I should get a reply within 24 hours.

Edited by pulletman, 29 March 2008 - 10:58 AM.

i'm retarded

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:33 AM

I wouldn't recommend pursuing this. Have some wars in local parks or elementary schools (permission needed for the latter) and get people to show up in usable numbers (6 to 20).
Only revisit this after you have managed that.

And that's what we mean by "reputation".

#14 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thank you for the feedback, I Have made the decision not to pursue this for quite a while. So we will return to this spot in 75 MILLION YEARS! a few years.

i'm retarded

#15 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

If you really wanted to do this, it would be most efficient to show up and run events at an existing con somewhere. I'm sure you could find a convention somewhere that wouldn't mind giving free space to nerfers. Hell, if you'd suggested this a few months ago, I'd have recommended that you just run a few events at UBCon, two weekends from now at my university. They already run a nerf war every year anyway.

#16 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

I'm sure you could find a convention somewhere that wouldn't mind giving free space to nerfers.

Liability issues would probably prevent such discussions from going well.

#17 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:59 PM

I live in the center of the U.S. a.k.a. the Midwest.

If it happens anywhere it would be in UC. They had 87, yes eighty-seven people at their Friday night war.

Combine that with the 30 or so that could come in from out of town. Holy shit.

The UC kids are able to have one whole facility to themselves. We have enough for a HvZ, a civil war chaos, multiple wars going on at once, a trade show and one hell of a time. I probably couldn't go though.

Bottom line, if it happens somewhere, it should be in Ohio (C-bus (GCCC) or U of C)
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#18 pustulio

pustulio

• Banned
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

Wow, this would be pretty awesome, although I doubt many east coaster's would want to fly all the way out for a convention in Seattle. Although, I wouldn't want a room and would rather just drive there because I live in Washington.

East coasters get all the wars... there are like no west coast wars.
Quote from mysefansdontflystraight
That thing looks like a do-it yourself abortion kit from the 1960s. I bet you hook it up to an air-tank.

#19 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

Hell yeah I want to eat at freakin TGI Fridays!
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#20 hi2525

hi2525

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

Another option is The University of Cincinnati Nerf Club at Zimmer Hall. Starts 11pm ends around 6am.

#21 supercellghost

supercellghost

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Man, why are most wars in the west or east sides of the u.s? I never get to go to wars like in the chicago or suburb areas in Illinois? I only get to local wars.Man that sucks.I can never go to those far away wars.

#22 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

Man, why are most wars in the west or east sides of the u.s? I never get to go to wars like in the chicago or suburb areas in Illinois? I only get to local wars.Man that sucks.I can never go to those far away wars.

Thats why we should organize a convention that's so big that people will fly to it, so you won;t be excluded. I think that it's a great idea, but it's a wet dream, and it could never happen perfectly. At least not in a hotel or a building where rent must be paid.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#23 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

East coasters get all the wars... there are like no west coast wars.

Dude, seriously, think before you post! What do you mean there are barely any west coast wars? Armageddeon, WALL, and miscellaneous wars throughout SoCal and some in WA. But I mean, for this to really happen, you either have to get a REALLY big loan from the national bank of mom and dad, or most active NH members would have to pitch in a little dough. This would be amazing if this really happened though.

Edited by Bomberman, 09 April 2008 - 12:25 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#24 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

That's because you're 12 and you still need mom and dad's permission for the next five years or so just to go down the block, much less to California or New Jersey.

Hey.... wait.... you're 12?

Forum rules, should've seen them when you signed up. See you when you're 13, me bucko.

These kind of topics always seem to bring out the overtly young members; although some of them are really productive, many of them are simply too indiscreet to reveal their immaturity. I normally do a 9999 for being dishonest, but if lying were a Code of Conduct rule worthy of banning, we'd all be banned. Just look at all the range claims on NH.

This Nerf Convention business won't happen. At least not at the hands of disorganized, daydreaming 14 year olds. Sorry, try again.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users