Free Rice To Help Starving Children

Help end hunger in Africa

40 replies to this topic

#1 Cennipe

Cennipe

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:40 PM

This is kind of an ineresting web site that my sister showed me. You learn vocab and get smarter. If you get a word right, then the company donates 20 grains of rice. The other day, I got up to over 3000 grains of rice. If you have some free time, play; it is for a good cause. They also tell you your vocab score, mine was about 20, but my dad's is in the high 30's.

Free Rice page

Edited by Cennipe, 28 March 2008 - 11:41 PM.

"Man, a being in search of meaning" Pluto

My user name is pronounced "eat shit." I know that losing is looked down apon in nerf, but, what ever.

#2 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

I hust got 40.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#3 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:58 PM

Wow, that was cool.

I got 1,000 grains before quitting with a vocab score of 21.

My mom has a very large vocabulary. I wonder how she will do. I'll show her in the morning.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#4 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:05 AM

Yeah, I got 35... I remember when this site was only donating 10 grains per answer correct. At least procrastinating or being bored does something productive.
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#5 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

How many grains does it take to run a human body (2500 calories?)? How many calories are in rice?
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#6 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:42 AM

I got up to 46. I swear they must be making some of those words up.

Some informal googling has produced:
– 25±5 mg for a grain of rice.
– 242 calories for 1 cup (186g) of medium-grain white rice.
Therefore, .025g * 20 * 242Cal/186g ~= .65 Cal or 2.7kJ in 20 grains of rice. Not a whole lot.

EDIT: 47, and 5000 grains. About 163 Calories, the equivalent of a large bowl of cereal (no pun intended).

Edited by Thom, 29 March 2008 - 04:13 AM.

#7 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:20 AM

340 grains with level of 44 (I love online dictionarys)
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#8 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:33 AM

I'm staying around 35-37
I also remember when this was only 10 grains, and I think it's kind of funny to see all the corperations that donated money towards the sight (the adds on the bottom are the companies that gave them money)
QUOTE(Carbon @ Feb 17 2008, 10:17 PM) View Post

QUOTE(FoamSniper @ Feb 18 2008, 12:08 AM) View Post

You're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20

I was figuring you threw it.

#9 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

I seriously hope it isn't white rice. White rice has the nutritional value of a styrofoam cup. Brown, black, and red rices are much better. When I lived in Korea, all the Koreans told me that black rice is the best (I have no idea if that is true, I just know that white rice does nothing for you).

#10 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

My max was 41, but then my wife wandered by. Between the two of us, we got up to 47, but there was a healthy amount of luck in there as well.

Edited by Carbon, 29 March 2008 - 09:34 AM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#11 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

This isn't a charity-only site.

It's a game with an incentive to donate rice to starving children. I like how it implies that children will be fed by playing a game. Geeze, 100 lbs. of donated rice will feed dozens of children anyway. I guess it's the thought that counts.

If you really want to help feed starving people, go down to your local soup kitchen and volunteer 2-3 hours a weekend. Now THAT's really helping out starving people. Playing a game can hardly be construed as "helping".

Wow. You all are scoring in the 40's? I played for five minutes and I couldn't get myself above 37. And that's after donating some 1200 grains (I didn't use any online dictionaries or outside sources).

For people who supposedly have a firm grasp of the English language (including words I've never heard of before), how some of you spell and use words on this forum is horrible. Either you guys are cheats, or I'm stupider than dirt, and I like to believe I know enough English language to make my points known on NH.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#12 Tehmandude

Tehmandude

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

How many grains does it take to run a human body (2500 calories?)? How many calories are in rice?

It doesn't actually take that much to run a human body. Since rice has starch, it's sort of like bread, and if a loaf of bread can fill up a stomach, so can a small bowl of rice.
QUOTE(umdlancer @ Mar 25 2008, 04:29 AM) View Post

If you accidentally clock somebody with a doubleshot, then you're more liable to break the doubleshot than you are to cause serious injury.

PM me if selling a NIB or LNNB LnL.

#13 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

I'm really enjoying this game. I learned the word "hornswoggled."

I think I may have been hornswoggled by Sam; he still owes me an SM300.

I'm going to use this word every chance I get.

#14 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:36 PM

I just got over 2,000 with a vocab of over 40. I don't know how I did so well, maybe it was because I learned most of those words in English this year. But I learned a few new words like "patsy" and "hullabaloo"!

Edited by Silencer, 31 March 2008 - 02:40 PM.

TMC

#15 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

I've been doing this for a while. Last time, I got 4,800 grains and ended up with my favorite word of all time, hemidemisemiquaver.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#16 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

I think the ideal of winning the game and giving a so amount of rice to a starving child encourage player without a doubt. But whoever is sending rice over there, regardless of how many wins players get, they still would send as much as they can, more or less.
It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#17 AODL

AODL

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

This isn't a charity-only site.

It's a game with an incentive to donate rice to starving children. I like how it implies that children will be fed by playing a game. Geeze, 100 lbs. of donated rice will feed dozens of children anyway. I guess it's the thought that counts.

If you really want to help feed starving people, go down to your local soup kitchen and volunteer 2-3 hours a weekend. Now THAT's really helping out starving people. Playing a game can hardly be construed as "helping".

-Piney-

Awesome. You're my hero, Piney.

Anyways, Piney is right. This site is more to raise awarness than to play a game of "Meal or No Meal". No matter how extensive your vocabulary is, these people will still get fed. But since this is non-profit, they need help to support them. Kind of a "Help us to help them" deal. That's probably what the site is for.

But for the record, my vocabulary level was nearly 40 after 35 minutes.

I don't really undestand why General Cole is making articles of clothing with my name on it. First it frightened me, but after a few hours I got over it. It seems obvious that General Cole is hoping to have sex with me.

#18 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

Its just not fun any more for me. I'm forced to play by my english teacher. Thats where my knowledge of the internet came in. I just play for three rounds, get a snapshot of the site, and print it out.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#19 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

I've been doing this for a while. Last time, I got 4,800 grains and ended up with my favorite word of all time, hemidemisemiquaver.

It's only your favorite word because you don't have to play them. Trust me.

#20 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

What's so hard about playing "The sixty-fourth note"?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#21 Kanashimi

Kanashimi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

*laughs*

My school just did this as a competition. We had 30 minutes to get as many grains as possible. My group (in group, the person with the highest score out of the group was the one who's number was recorder) scored in second with 6220 I think. The winning group had 6520.

-Kanashimi

P.s. I got a highest of 32.

Edit: Since bomberman brought grades into this, I'm in grade 9, and refuse to take any English classes during High School. Well, maybe Advanced Reading/Writing, but that would be the only one.

Edited by Kanashimi, 10 April 2008 - 07:39 PM.

#22 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

My highest was 30. But I am getting a A in english. But I am only in the seventh grade, I can't know all of them. (And I entered the seventh grade 13. I turned 13 last August 27th.) I donated about 800 grains before I had to go home.

~Bomberman

Edited by Bomberman, 10 April 2008 - 04:35 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#23 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

What's so hard about playing "The sixty-fourth note"?

Was that a serious question?

#24 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:55 PM

My wife and I got a high of 48. She just graduated (today) with a degree in English, and I...well let's just say that I've had a book published ("In Their Own Tongue" a book on intermediate Korean grammar for English speakers emphasizing common misconceptions with syntax and usage).

#25 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:27 PM

My wife and I got a high of 48. She just graduated (today) with a degree in English, and I...well let's just say that I've had a book published ("In Their Own Tongue" a book on intermediate Korean grammar for English speakers emphasizing common misconceptions with syntax and usage).

It's on! *Goes to win more pointz*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users