Other Forms Of Art?

You know you're intrigued...

27 replies to this topic

#1 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

I bought some metal leaf a few months ago to put on some guitar pickups to make it look cool. I finished one, but I never got to the other two because of school and blah blah blah. I decided, though, that I would pay homage to one of my true loves...transformers. I proceeded to put a metal leaf autobot symbol on my guitar. I then thought that flames would be cool, so I did that too. I still need to finish it up and seal it and whatnot, but it is done otherwise. Does anybody else do any kind of weird art? Things other than drawing? Here's my acoustic guitar, Herman, in all his sub-par metal leafed glory:

Posted Image
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#2 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:03 AM

Neat-o! Makes me want to try some of that metal leaf on nerf stuff.

#3 nmc2

nmc2

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:16 AM

Looks awesome!

Hmm weird.... weird...

how bout a skull with wings that always looks weird
E=mc^2
Energy=Mass x Speed of light in a vacuum (in celeritas) squared
N=mc^2
Nerf=Mass of air in tank x Speed of air release in a barrel squared

"the whole damn song is a pick up line"

#4 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:40 AM

I've done tons of modding, but the biggest project I ever took on (and am very slowly finishing - and using nerf as a short distraction) was my case mod, called "Mercury Smear":
http://www.modders-i...topict-737.html
Teehee.

#5 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

I've done tons of modding, but the biggest project I ever took on (and am very slowly finishing - and using nerf as a short distraction) was my case mod, called "Mercury Smear":
http://www.modders-i...topict-737.html

That is a really awesome case. To n=mc2, what are you saying is weird? I don't like skulls. You know who has skulls on their shirts, guitars, bodies and cars? Everyone. I like autobots, so I put autobot logos on everything including this vase that I use for a drinking glass.

Posted Image

#6 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

slowguitarman, won't the paint peel off when you pick the guitar?
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#7 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

I play Warhammer 40k, so that entails me to paint the models, after constructing them. I'll get some picts up once I get some good shots.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#8 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

slowguitarman, won't the paint peel off when you pick the guitar?

Nope. It isn't paint. In case you don't know what metal leaf is, it is very, very thin metal that you put on things via a special type of glue. You then put sealer on it to protect it. It will wear down eventually, but I don't mind, really. I like things that look worn out(as long as they are morn out from use...not a stupid pair of pants with holes dremeled into them...I hate hollister...).

#9 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

I hate hollister...).

A-fucking-men... (I didn't realize how gay that sounded until after i typed that... It's "amen" with fucking thrown in the middle. Just for the record.)

But on topic, dude, you mod Nerf guns, how much of a weirder art do you need? its a bunch of teens and men in their twenties and thirties (and Pineapple :D ) running around with toy guns. What more do you need?
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#10 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

I hate hollister...).

A-fucking-men... (I didn't realize how gay that sounded until after i typed that... It's "amen" with fucking thrown in the middle. Just for the record.)

But on topic, dude, you mod Nerf guns, how much of a weirder art do you need? its a bunch of teens and men in their twenties and thirties (and Pineapple :D ) running around with toy guns. What more do you need?

It doesn't have to be weirder, but I thought that most people that do art just draw and stuff. I do that too, but I also like to do stuff like this. If you want weird, I am painting my ls-mav integration with a g2 megatron inspired theme. I am combining two things I love, and both of them are weird haha.

#11 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

Hehe. Check this if you like them that much. Not really my taste but it is very well done.
http://www.gearfuse....-your-computer/
Teehee.

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

My stuff
http://www.captainslug.com/mod.html
http://captainslug.d...rt.com/gallery/
http://www.ocforums....t=395995&page=4

Older case mod
Posted Image

Edited by CaptainSlug, 28 March 2008 - 02:35 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#13 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

that's really awesome!

Anything is art, as art is just the introduction of the creative mind into a process involving critical thinking.

Art is the combination of the left and right brain paired to produce something that has a meaning beyond its existence.

Are you able to laser cut the leaf or have it specially machined somewhere? If you were able to do that, I'm sure you could get some extremely intricate designs were you to lay them out on CAD or Photoshop beforehand.

#14 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

To splitlip: That is awesome. I would kill for one of those. I don't even have a desktop, though, so I can't really mod my laptop case much.

To richomundo: No, not that I know of. The metal leaf (and all of it that i've seen) comes packaged as squares. Mine are about 6"x6". I think I could make it look better if I had more time and better paint brushes and better tape, but I am poor haha. About the art thing, though, that is so true. That is why I wanted to see what other people have done. Slug has done some awesome work, and the case that splitlip did was amazing as well. I hope this thread keeps going and coming up with awesome artwork.

#15 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

Theres some photography i've posted on NH.

For legal reasons I can't post a lot of my work online since the client usually purchases publishing rights along with my photos, but since I've posted those topics below, I have been published in some very well known publications (LA Times, Architectural Digest) and I currently have a few assignments for other magazines as well. It's all small work and nothing I can live off of, but it's fun and I'm glad I'm semi-successful at one of my passions. ( I used to want to be a pro skateboarder or a pro skate filmer)

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10108
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=9946

Edited by Richomundo, 28 March 2008 - 05:09 PM.

#16 nmc2

nmc2

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

Sorry for the confusion, in my head I thought the topic was "Weird Art" instead of "Other Types of Art". Not that I think your guitar is weird.

Richomundo I love that photo that you classed your favorite. It is almost to perfect it looks unreal.

I did this and it doesn't hold upto what your guys are doing but...:

got em

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(I created him and painted parts).

- n=mc^2

Edited by n=mc2, 28 March 2008 - 09:26 PM.

E=mc^2
Energy=Mass x Speed of light in a vacuum (in celeritas) squared
N=mc^2
Nerf=Mass of air in tank x Speed of air release in a barrel squared

"the whole damn song is a pick up line"

#17 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Nice job on the guitar and glass, but personally, I never liked the autobot logo. I prefer the decepticon one. It's mostly because of the nose on the autobot logo, noses on transformers always bothered me for some reason. Probably because robots don't need noses for anything and I think it makes them look weird.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#18 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

Well, I juggle, if you'd call that an art form.

No vids atm, but me and a couple buddies from school were planning to make one... Yeah we suck pretty badly (compared to people like this and this and while you're at it you might as well compare this... whatever you want to call it to this beast of a routine), anyways. Sorry I couldn't really "contribute" anything.

Nice job with the leaf though. I'll need to try that sometime. Was it expensive?

Oh, take a look at this too. We can't let the Russians fucking beat us.

Edited by OfAllTheNerf, 28 March 2008 - 09:33 PM.

[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#19 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

I never really thought about legos, but that is a cool model.

to captian: I am an autobot through and through haha. I don't know why I like the symbol so much.

to ofall: metal leaf is cheap as dirt. I think it was $5ish for like 20 6"x6" squares, and the glue and sealer are like $2 a piece.

#20 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:55 AM

I looked this over once, and Lego's didn't even pop into my head.

Posted Image
That would be me, putting in the final piece.

Posted Image
This is the somewhat finished version. I moved pieces around after this picture, and I also plan to make a picture frame out of Lego's.

I got the idea for the mosaic from Instructables.com , I didn't drop mine though...

I would also count my awesome pumpkin carving as some form of art.
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#21 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:41 AM

Funny you should bring this up.

About a month ago I got in trouble in school for the use of metal leaf.
I was board during study hall and began putting metal leaf (in the form of pealed off gum wrappers) onto the wall of the senior lounge in and abstract pattern.
After a few days the "art" was becoming very noticeable, with 4 different colors of foil and taking up a good portion of the wall. Think Rorschach test
I was fueled by the comments of my classmates.
Each had a different interpretation of what the randomly placed pieces of aluminum looked like.

After about a week of this charade, I was confronted by the Assistant Principal.
When she asked if I was the one who was "vandalizing the school" I immediately confessed, got a day of inschool and had to remove the foil myself. It took 15 minutes and a fingernail to remove a weeks worth of work.

A few days later my mom got the writeup from the school.
I can update with the exact wording later but it was something like "Tyler will receive one day of in school for putting aluminum foil on the senior lounge wall."
My mom just laughed it off.
This being my first inschool ever, it kind of sucked, but it was totally worth it.

Posted Image
This doesn't to it justice but this is a photo from about the second day, it later branched upward to the ceiling and towards the right, ending in an explosion of red foil around a small hole in the wall.

I actually plan on covering my +Bow with this same method in the near future.

Skitzo-

Edited by Skitzo, 30 March 2008 - 01:43 AM.

If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#22 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

Awesome works, guys. I have seen a lot of lego pictures, but that is awesome, and it surprised me. The gum foil is cool too. Stupid principals, though...

#23 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

Sorry for the confusion, in my head I thought the topic was "Weird Art" instead of "Other Types of Art". Not that I think your guitar is weird.

Richomundo I love that photo that you classed your favorite. It is almost to perfect it looks unreal.

I did this and it doesn't hold upto what your guys are doing but...:

got em

*pictures*

(I created him and painted parts).

- n=mc^2

I used to be part of a whole community that did this, and it's pretty cool. I sorta lost interest, though.

http://www.bzpower.com/

Edited by Ubermensch, 31 March 2008 - 04:21 PM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#24 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

I dabble in photography:
Posted Image

Posted Image

And I'm starting to dabble in music.

#25 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

I've been really into Legos since I was little. I'll try to make some art soon. Never thought of legos as a form of art, but here we go.
TMC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users