Motorized Buzzsaw Mod

First Post/First Mod! (pic heavy)

29 replies to this topic

#1 hadokn

hadokn

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

Hi everybody! I just got my posting privileges so I figured I'd kick things off with this mod I did a few weeks ago.

So I bought a Buzzsaw. I was pretty excited about it, it looked like a pretty cool gun. Turns out it wasn't as cool as I thought. I assumed that it was motorized, but you have to crank the thing to get it going. And you have to crank it ALOT to get any kind of decent range. And it's noisy as all hell. So, I decided to retire it to a good idea/poor execution kind of thing. Then I was digging through my closet and I found an old Tamiya R/C Car that hasn't seen use for a few years. IDEA!!

First things first, take apart the Buzzsaw. Do this by removing the twelve screws on the case. Lift off the case, and reveal the internals. Your next step is to remove the light blue crank rod thingy, and throw it away. We don't need it anymore.

Next, unscrew the two screws on the orange gearbox and expose the gears. It should look like this:

Posted Image

Now let's talk about how this gun works. It's actually pretty cool.

When you pull back the crank handle, teeth on the bottom catch on gear one. Gear one spins gear two, and the force of gear two spinning forces gear three down to engage the main gear which directly spins the drive wheel, which is what propels the balls out of the gun. When you stop pulling, a little spring pushes gear three out of contact with the drive gear, acting as a clutch and allowing you to pump back and forth while the drive wheel only spins one way. Pretty Sweet.

Then I tore the motor out of the R/C car. Unfortunately, the pinion gear on the motor does not mesh with the nerf gears, so I had to find a substitute. Some might call it coincidence that a Lego gear meshes perfectly with the nerf gears,

Posted Image

I call it destiny.

Now I had to cut out the middle of the lego gear and kind of squish it onto the pinion gear, which works fine, for now, but I’m working on a more permanent solution.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Next I mounted the motor to the orange panel that we removed earlier, lining up my new gear to mesh with gear two (I chose to remove gear one. Keeping it in might have increased the speed of the drive wheel, but it would also reduce torque. It was also easier to work without it). Take care to get these aligned and centered. If you don’t, you’ll generate a lot more friction, which will steal power from the gun. My motor has screw-mounting holes built in, so I just drilled three holes in the orange panel, two for screws and one for the drive shaft of the motor. Finished, it looks like this:

Posted Image

I had to trim the orange panel to make space for the screws, but it was no big deal. Now on the main gearbox you have to cut out a space for your new gear to sit. This is what mine looks like:

Posted Image
(ignore gear one, it should be removed now.)

Now, re-attach the orange panel with the newly mounted motor. Make sure that your gears will spin freely with as little grinding as possible. You may have to adjust your mounting holes. I know I did. Here’s what mine looks like now:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next, you have to cut a whole in the exterior case to accommodate the motor. I used a dremel for this. Dremels are invaluable. You should go buy one right now. Here’s the hole:

Posted Image

Now, if everything has gone well, you should be able to put everything back together.

Here’s what mine looks like fully assembled:

Posted Image

Okay, so right now it’s pretty complicated and cumbersome. I need the speed controller to adjust the throttle of the motor. If I went from a dead stop to full speed the gears might grind and fly apart. I’m going to replace the electronic speed controller with a mechanical one so I won’t need the receiver. I will mount that to the gun along with the battery. I think that might make the gun a little more practical, but not by much. The thing feels like a gyroscope at full speed. Ranges are greatly increased. In fact the balls get so much backspin that they curve up at about twelve feet, so it’s not very accurate.

It is a lot of fun, though. So let me know what you guys think, and if you have any questions. I’ll try to post a video on youtube later today. Thanks for having me here at Nerfhaven.

#2 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

See newbies, this is what we want from you as a first post. This guy has obviously read the code of conduct and a lot of the modification threads already in existence. He read first, and then posted after he had an idea of how things are supposed to operate.

Hadokn: Great first post, great mod.

Welcome to the Haven.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#3 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

I think we found the Trap everyone wants...

I'm amazed, and I want one.

Edited by boisie, 27 March 2008 - 03:04 PM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#4 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

Someone should add this to the directory.

I mean like, wow, man :D .
That is uber ballin'. It looks like the most practical place to put the controls would be on the front of the gun, near the large orange gear-housing.
BTW: I suggest going to A.C. Moore or some craft shop to buy some stick on velcro. Just loop 2 bands around the ball at a perpendicular angle so that they meet in the center, and you can use them for dart-tag.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

Great use of Lego and RC parts. Welcome to 'Haven. :D
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

That is awesome! I know that that thing is a real beast because I own a wheely king r/c car, 27t motor, and it is powerful, so I can't imagine what that thing can do. You should make a MUCH bigger ball tube. One that holds about ten. But anyway, what kind of r/c motor is that? (number of t. (turns))
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#7 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

The only reason I havn't done something like this to the buzz saw yet is I just can't find a motor that suits my taste.

Im curious as to if your RC motor has enough tourque to continue fireing rapidly with out the fly wheel slowing down siginificantly. Do you have that problem?
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#8 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

I was wondering when someone would do that. Welcome to the Haven and keep up the good work.
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#9 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

Excellent first post. The write-up was clear and easy to understand. Good Job and welcome to NerfHaven.
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#10 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

That's totally awesome, but also looks cumbersome. Anyways great first post and nice mod!
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#11 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

Did you not do the full auto mod? Or did i just not see it? That thing would be a beast if you did a full auto one with a big hopper for an indoor war. Great mod, great first post, welcome to the haven.

#12 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

My god, it's full of awesome.

Very, very cool...looking forward to seeing it in action. And I agree, this gun is crying out for a hopper and the full auto mod. Three liter bottles have been used on buzz/ripsaws to increase the capacity.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#13 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

Since you have a reciever on it anf its electric couldn't you in theory use it as a trap or something, that would be pretty cool and good job nice first post.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#14 wilbyrum

wilbyrum

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

Since you have a reciever on it anf its electric couldn't you in theory use it as a trap or something, that would be pretty cool and good job nice first post.

-DTR

Yes you could. You would have to rig up a way to have the trigger run off a remote, but this could be done with a small electric actuator with a remote switch since you already have a power source. Only problem is it wouldnt really be all that effective unless it was covering something similar to a ally-way. Yet it would still scare the hell out of someone if they did not know it was there.

Edited by wilbyrum, 27 March 2008 - 07:36 PM.

Any Nerfers in the Carolinas Pm me!

#15 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

That is just simply awesome so I have to do it now. Nice first post. You could use it in tower battles when they try to rush. Just have a stand or something for it and have it remote activated.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 27 March 2008 - 07:44 PM.

#16 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Nice work :o

If you're worried about the gears

If the gears are normal sized, I'd see if I could replace the plastic gears with metal ones, or if that doesn't work, then mount another gear to change the ratio so that the motor doesn't completely demolish the teeth.

also, have you tried adding a resistor instead of the speed controller? Once you get a perfect speed / gear ratio set, it should be pretty simple to mount the batteries and tuck everything inside the gun.

#17 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

This is a really nice mod, amazing job.
Only, now I feel like I need to contribute a mod or something to the site, after all of my posts, I haven't thought of any mods to perform and make a write up. I just need to get some barrel material, and there are other complications...
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#18 OberonFox

OberonFox

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:52 AM

Excellent mod, cant wait to see the polished final product. Also, THANK YOU for taking decent pictures.
"I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea."

#19 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

Wow, that is really impressive.
Welcome to Nerfhaven, and I look forward to more of your stuff.
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#20 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

hadokn, you're the ONLY one who ever posted the mod, although I'd say dozens of people here claimed to have made it, or were intending to do it (which you know, for the most part, never happens).

Good on you for forging ahead, and actually doing it, nice clean work also. As you troubleshoot and find out what does work and what doesn't work (is that a Mabuchi 380 can or 540 can motor?), we look forward to the results of your experimentation and R & D. I just wish more NerfHaven members would dedicate themselves to projects instead of making some pretty nasty looking ghetto blasters, then running to the next fad blaster project that rolls down our way (how everyone is "talking" of what they want to do to the Vulcan, for example).

Keep up the good work. And thanks for patiently waiting for validation. I hope you find it worth your wait.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#21 hadokn

hadokn

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

So here's a video of the thing in action. I'm still working on integrating everything, but school gets in the way. Enjoy.

Buzzsaw Video

Edited by hadokn, 19 May 2008 - 02:51 PM.

#22 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

Oh. My. God. That sounds so intimidating, and awesome ranges. Holy shit, great job.

#23 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

So here's a video of the thing in action. I'm still working on integrating everything, but school gets in the way. Enjoy.

Buzzsaw Video

I do NOT want to be on the receiving end of that... I love this mod.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#24 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

Wow, I have to say, that looks amzing in action. Take it outside and fire it, and see what kind of ranges you get. And just a heads up, this topic is a little old, you might have wanted to have just posted a new topic, then provided a link to the old one. But really, you have to have a hopper on that thing. Rapid fire, that thing is deadly. Since it has to have a controller, I think that in a war, you could mount that thing on a tripod or something, and just hide behind an object, and when someone walks by, just rev it up, and unleash some ball power!
And what motor is that? I replaced the motor in one of my rc cars, and I have a spare lying around.

~Bomberman

EDIT: Man, those two posts popped up quickly..

Edited by Bomberman, 19 May 2008 - 03:08 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#25 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Did you do the "rapid fire" mod on it? If so, that is beastly. Props for being the first one to post this!
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users