#1 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

General Mods and Concepts
From Nerfwiki

Barrel Replacement
One of the best ways you can increase range in your Nerf guns is by replacing the stock barrels with barrels made out of better material. If you plan on modifying your gun very much, chances are you will want to switch over to Stefans as your primary source of ammo. As you will soon find out, you can get much better range out of your Nerf gun if you replace the barrels with something more compatible with Stefans. When you modify your gun usually the air pressure being exerted is increased, and by replacing your stock barrel with a better fitting, longer barrel, your shots will go farther and be more accurate. You can find a list of the most common barrel materials right here.

Air Restrictor Removal (AR)
Air Restrictors do just what you think they would do, they restrict air. Most Nerf guns are built to be fairly powerful yet in an act of safety, the Nerf gun designers place one or more air restrictors in the internals of Nerf guns to ensure that no one will get seriously injured by a nerf dart. If you open a nerf gun up locating an air restrictor is usually fairly obvious. Most of the time it's a piece of plastic that somewhat blocks the airflow typically found near or around the barrel of the Nerf gun.

Spring Replacement/Upgrade
Instead of using air pressure, some guns use springs as their main method of propulsion. For the spring powered Nerf guns, you can often times replace the normal stock spring with a more powerful spring. What this does is power the plunger forward faster wich creates a greater buildup of pressure that releases air much faster. Replacement springs can be bought at most hardware stores as well as places that sell building supplies such as Home Depot or Lowes. You have to be careful when upgrading your spring though, because putting in a more powerful spring can sometimes damage or break the plastic internals.

Disabling Overpressure Release Valve

Virtually all air powered Nerf guns have an overpressure release valve. The purpose of the valve is to prevent someone from overpumping a Nerf gun which can severely damage the internals of a blaster. The valve looks a little different on each Nerf gun but it's purpose remains the same. By plugging up the air release valve you will now be able to pump more air into the Nerf gun's air tank. But you need to be careful, pumping your gun up to much can blow out the air tank so BE CAREFUL!

Hardware

From Nerfwiki

FBR: Foam Backer Rod. A round rod closed cell polyethylene foam used to make homemade darts commonly called Stefans of varying sizes. It can be found at your local hardware store or through industrial supply companies.
Picture: FBR

Barrel Materials

Brass: Brass is commonly used for barrel materials, although not as common as CPVC, brass is a primary source for nerfers when considering a barrel replacement for their gun. You can find brass at any hobby shop. The most common size is 9/16" which usually fits a standard stefan quite well. Other brass sizes are 17/32" which fits smaller stefans and stock darts. Also 19/32" and 1/2" brass can be used in breaches. Don't confuse Brass with copper, brass has a more golden color while copper looks darker, like a copper penny. While some people have been known to use copper for barrels, brass is more widely used because of the standard sizes that accomodates stefans much more efficiently.

CPVC:
Carbonated Polyvinyl Chloride. A type of pipe that can be found at local hardware stores. It is used by Nerfers to create new barrels for their guns. It is typically used to shoot 1/2" Stefan darts (when using a 1/2" diameter barrel.)

PETG: Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol (Polyester). A type of pipe that can be found for purchase on the internet and at some hardware stores. It is used by Nerfers to create barrels for their guns. It comes in various sizes and can be used to shoot different types of darts, depending on the diameter of the barrel.

PVC: Polyvinyl Chloride. A type of pipe that can be found at local hardware stores. It is used by Nerfers to create new barrels for their guns. It is typically used to shoot 5/8" Stefan darts and Nerf brand Micro darts. 5/8 foam backer rod will usually fit in SCH40 1/2 PVC pipe, whereas 1/2 foam backer rod will usually fit in SCH80 1/2 PVC. Individual tests to determine which size and type of PVC pipe you need should be conducted with samples of the foam you use to make darts.

PEX Polyethylene tubing sometimes found in hardware stores that do a lot of sales to plant nurseries. Not popular due to its rarity. Can only be used for short barrels because it is extremely flexible.

Aluminum: CaptainSlug has been exploring Aluminum as a barrel material ever since it became available in a usable size through McMaster-Carr. The part number is 1658T49 and has an ID of .527 inches and an OD of .625 (5/8) inches. The inside surface is extremely smooth and offers very little friction. So far it has worked best with air guns for this reason. Will not tarnish like brass and is more receptive to adhesives and can be welded with the right equipment.

Information on Using Barrels and Darts

Adhesives

Super Glue: Super Glue is a common household adhesive that works amazingly well for a variety of nerf applications. The best applications for using Super Glue are when you are trying to bond two plastics to one another. To ensure a secure bond you'll want to take a bit of sandpaper and scuff the two surfaces that you are bonding together. This give the glue something to grab ahold of. One major advantage to Super Glue is that you only wait about 10 seconds for the glue to dry. Super Glue creates a very strong bond with little downtime waiting for it to dry. This stuff is a good choice for all around modding when working with plastics.
Picture: Super Glue

Plumber's Goop:
Plumbers Goop is a staple among dedicated Nerfers alike. Plumber's Goop is used to seal up leaks and cracks, or to cement barrels or various pieces of plastic and metal into place. The downsides to Plumber's Goop is that it takes a while for the goop to set up. But once it's dry, this stuff holds amazingly well. You can get Plumber's Goop at any store that sells different kinds of adhesives. Get to know this stuff because it will be your friend for many more mods to come.
Picture: Plumber's Goop

Epoxy:
Epoxy is one of the most if not the most powerful adhesives that isn't ridiculously expensive. The uses of epoxy are most commonly bonding two objects, or it could be uses to make an airtight seal but that is more of a job for plumber's goop. Epoxy has varying set times ranging from to 1 minute to usually 7 minutes. Epoxy is also varies in the material that it is made for such as plastic, wood, PVC, etc..

Construction Materials

Beginner's Guide to Machining Plastic

Where To Buy Modding Materials

Assorted Modifications

Modification Directory

Need to know what gun you're modding?

Orange's Nerf Gun Page

Disclaimer: I know this is not an original idea. I assembled this list based on comments on the original thread. All formal credit goes to the original author. Please don't eat me.

Edited by Green-Buckshot, 29 March 2008 - 11:20 PM.

QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#2 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

Not that I have a problem with these sort of threads, but really. I suppose that if we put enough of theses kind of threads on here people will start to notice them and stop posting stupid "What Mod Should I Do?" threads. Just my thoughts. That will be 1 cent.
EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

#3 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

Did you just copy and paste this off the NerfWiki? Or actually write it all out?
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#4 MrNerf

MrNerf

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

Okkkkkk.....thanks, now I understand. Quite helpful! Nucks! :P

#5 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

I copied some of it from Nerfwiki, other stuff, I typed. I felt it was important to have that basic stuff all in one place. Anyway, I just took the suggestions from the other thread and put them in here. Like I said, totally unoriginal idea. I would really like if maybe this could become a pinned thread...

#6 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

Not to be a jerk, but does anyone have anymore links regarding matching dicovering what your NERF gun is?

#7 Tehmandude

Tehmandude

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:23 AM

This is sort of copying from all the pinned threads and putting them all into one.
QUOTE(umdlancer @ Mar 25 2008, 04:29 AM) View Post

If you accidentally clock somebody with a doubleshot, then you're more liable to break the doubleshot than you are to cause serious injury.

PM me if selling a NIB or LNNB LnL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users