Taggers In 1/2in Pvc

misfires and tailspins oh my!

14 replies to this topic

#1 adama

adama

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

I have modified my sm1500 with pvc/crayola barrels and have found a problem. I can fire stock suction cup darts with amazing reliability and consistancy but when i use taggers i get misfires, tail spins and generally poor ranges but only every other shot or so. the other shots are perfect. this leads me to believe that there is a way to make them work but im missing somthing.

any thoughts on whats wrong with the gun or the darts or if it simply doesn't work are appreciated.

thanks

#2 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

Taggers will not work with PVC without problems because of the shape of the tagger's heads.
I hate you.

#3 Slice

Slice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

This will sound disgusting and dumb, but when I use taggers in PVC I lick around the edges of the tagger dart and it shoots fine for me (I need to find a better way).

Edited by Slice, 26 March 2008 - 10:53 AM.

Huh, Huh, Huh. Your FUNNY.

#4 el swifto

el swifto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

I have modified my sm1500 with pvc/crayola barrels and have found a problem. I can fire stock suction cup darts with amazing reliability and consistancy but when i use taggers i get misfires, tail spins and generally poor ranges but only every other shot or so. the other shots are perfect. this leads me to believe that there is a way to make them work but im missing somthing.

any thoughts on whats wrong with the gun or the darts or if it simply doesn't work are appreciated.

thanks

You could try wrapping etape around the tip. One layer, part on the dart head, part on the dart body.

Posted Image

#5 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

Ive never had any problems with taggers in pvc... In fact i use them in a pvc blowgun.

#6 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

Suction darts are tighter in PVC than taggers. This means that they hold themselves in the barrel longer, whereas taggers need a longer or tighter barrel. The fishtailing comes from excess air being released unevenly behind the dart.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#7 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

One problem I have had with taggers is that they are a little too long to work effectively in my guns. I shortened them slightly (like 1/4") and they worked much better. Don't know if this applies to this case or not as I've never worked with a sm1500...
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#8 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

The inner diameter of PVC will vary a bit depending on the manufacturer (same with just about any barrel material, FBR, et cetera.) I've been using stock tag darts in 1/2" PVC barrels on my BBB's and +Bow without problem. The I.D. of the PVC is just a bit wide; I spray a small bit of either white lithium grease or silicone lubricant down the barrel. Near as I can tell, this seals fine around the dart, and I've been getting standard ranges for both guns. If the PVC's I.D. is too tight, you may be outta luck, unless you can find a different manufacturer. (The stuff I use is by Charlotte Pipe, the Home Depot near my house carries it.)

Edited by Twitch, 26 March 2008 - 05:09 PM.

"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#9 nerfnerd88

nerfnerd88

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

I never had problems with taggers in PVC until I used some on my Titan so it could shoot stock darts. To fix it I just used a little spray lubricant on the inside of the barrel and now it works great.

Edited by nerfnerd88, 26 March 2008 - 05:57 PM.

#10 adama

adama

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

thanks guys

it seems that some people have good luck and others not so much.

in any case im gonna try some hand soap on the inside of the barrels for the time being till i can get a ride out to an HD for some lube

#11 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

thanks guys

it seems that some people have good luck and others not so much.

in any case im gonna try some hand soap on the inside of the barrels for the time being till i can get a ride out to an HD for some lube

You can just go to a grocery type store... In the auto section. walmart, target, meijers... They all have lubricant.

#12 adama

adama

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

Im at college with out a car but yeah, thats what i plan to do when i can get a ride

#13 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

I've been having this problem with getting taggers to work in longer barrels for a long time, so I just wanted to clarify.

You guys are saying that Stock Taggeers DO fit in 1/2" PVC? Also, that they actually fire fairly well out of a long PVC barrel if you use some lubrication on the insides so that the dart head doesn't stick on any part of the barrel?
If that is true, I would be really happy to hear it. I have never been able to reliably fire taggers out of a 1' barrel, ever.
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#14 Guest_BlueOrange_*

Guest_BlueOrange_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

They work fine for me, but orange has trouble with them when he did a pvc barrel for hsi NF nicknamed the "NF-117" I also use pvc blowguns. No problems for me.

#15 pwnchu

pwnchu

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

I've found that running water through PVC barrels helps for both taggers and suction. Also, you can sabot it with a small piece of FBR behind the dart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users