Mcmaster Carr Troubles

Page sometimes loads...

7 replies to this topic

#1 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

Ok, so whenever I try to bring up McMaster (not all of the time) the only thing that will load is the home page button in the upper left hand corner, the left side (where you search for products/ build order that kind of thing) and the bar at the top with all of the links (homepage/current order/customer support/blahblahblah), but the weird part is that they flash on and off of the screen, and it only loads on rare occasion. So my questions is: Do i need a more current browser edition, or something along the lines of a more current version of (the word I'm looking for is kinda like the Adobe reader thingy, just sort of a "plug-in" type file. I'm not all that computer savvy.)
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#2 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

Firefox

Is there really anything else to say?
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#3 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

I have FireFox
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

Their page uses a lot of Javascript so if you have AdBlock Plus or other security options enabled make sure you disable them by adding an exception for mcmaster.com

Visit: http://www.mcmaster....roublehelp.html for specifics
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:23 PM

For such an excellent company, McMaster sure has a crappily-written website.

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:51 PM

For such an excellent company, McMaster sure has a crappily-written website.

Do you have any idea how gigantic their inventory is? The paper version of the catalog is 4 inches thick. You could request a copy if you want a door stop that doubles as an interesting piece of reference material.

Their site is easily navigated ONLY if you use the search function. If you want plastics, search for plastics. If you want pipe, search for pipe. If you want pipe fittings, search for pipe fittings. And so on. Finding them through the categories would require knowledge of what you are looking for is actually used for.

I personally consider their site to be much more usable than those of other industrial suppliers because their search system works so well. It can be extremely hard to find anything through the websites for Grainger or Mouser because it's so much more difficult to narrow your search through their site.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 25 March 2008 - 11:57 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

Oh, I'm not complaining about the visible aspects. They advertise as having half a million items, and the search works well enough that I doubt I'd have trouble finding any one of them. But then you have gratuitous frames, and every link a javascript call, and five hundred forty-six validation errors. As an empirical measure of crappily-written-ness, that takes the cake.

#8 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

Ok, I downloaded the newest Java, and it works like a dream. Thanks guys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users