Photo

At3k Or Recon

19 replies to this topic

Poll: AT3K or Recon? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

should I buy the AT3k or Recon

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

I play with my friends, and I kind of go all out not really on one type of playing
I use my modded LS with a switch shot max integrated for a primary, and my ppk'd NF for a secondary.
The AT3Ks come in twin packs, while the recon is obviously by it's self.
Both are 19.99 at TRU.

Edited by mystefansdontflystraight, 21 March 2008 - 09:04 AM.

QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#2 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

I remember reading an article long ago about the advantages of an AT3K. The AT3K really may be the best all around primary to carry around. While reliable springers (like the crossbow) are great, if you miss, you can be in a tight spot. The AT3K's auto-rotating turret does a lot to help this. It also gets great range. Pretty soon I'll be posting my version of the "one pump" AT3K that is so awesome it's almost unfair.

#3 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:10 AM

I remember reading an article long ago about the advantages of an AT3K. The AT3K really may be the best all around primary to carry around. While reliable springers (like the crossbow) are great, if you miss, you can be in a tight spot. The AT3K's auto-rotating turret does a lot to help this. It also gets great range. Pretty soon I'll be posting my version of the "one pump" AT3K that is so awesome it's almost unfair.

Ill look forward to that.
I attempted your truly awesome SSM mod, but failed, so I integrated it into my LS.
Works like a charm.
Back on topic, I didn't know that the AT3k had an auto rotating turret, as TRU's description made it sound like a manual rotating one.

#4 Recruit

Recruit

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

If you are up and close go with the recon, but if you are going to be farther back then go with the 3k.

Little note a recon comes with only one clip, the 3k comes as you said in a twin pack.
Falcon about himself.
... Ask Bags...he'll tell you without hesitation that I'm an idiot, but I certainly think about it before I do something stupid.

"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."

-Piney-

#5 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

If you do get an AT3k, be aware that the "auto-rotation" mechanism is driven by the pump, not the trigger, so it's a good deal more complex to do things like pump replacements and relocations. However, the standard plugged pump & barrel replacement will net you a pretty awesome blaster.

#6 smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

After reading high reviews of the AT3k, I picked up the 2-pack. Out of the box, they are terrible- takes way too much effort pumping them and the range is poor as well (maybe 20 feet). Even after plugging the pump the range is still quite bad.

The recon sucks out of the box as well, but at least it's easier to cock and has a faster rate of shooting. Plus, after you take out the air restrictor it shoots about as well as a stock longshot.

My AT3ks just hang on my wall collecting dust, so I would recommend the recon.

Edited by smeagolsaur, 21 March 2008 - 11:34 AM.

#7 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

Thanks everyone. It looks like the twinpack is the best option. Im going tomorrow as TRU is closed due to good friday. I will watch the poll until then and whatever gun wins is the one I will get.
Thanks again.

#8 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

Two guns or one gun?
Tough question.

#9 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

After reading high reviews of the AT3k, I picked up the 2-pack. Out of the box, they are terrible- takes way too much effort pumping them and the range is poor as well (maybe 20 feet). Even after plugging the pump the range is still quite bad.

The recon sucks out of the box as well, but at least it's easier to cock and has a faster rate of shooting. Plus, after you take out the air restrictor it shoots about as well as a stock longshot.

My AT3ks just hang on my wall collecting dust, so I would recommend the recon.

Plugging the pump on an AT3k without doing any form of barrel replacement shouldn't really make a difference. I don't see why a lot of people don't do barrel replacements on their blasters and then complain about terrible range, it is often quite obvious as to what the problem is. You have to remember that the AT3k uses a really weird peg-in-barrel system that is reminiscent of older Nerf blasters, it dramatically decreases range.

EDIT: I say get the AT3k twin pack, although you've already made up your mind.

Edited by Blasphemy, 21 March 2008 - 04:58 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#10 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

Toys R' Us still sells AT3K? The last time I went they didn't sell them or even have them.
On topic:
I've never had an AT3k but I have had a 2K and those guns are the air tech line is good as opposed to the N-strike line which isn't. I have the recon and let me tell you, it sucks. Get the AT3K, plus you get two of them. Bonus? Yes.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#11 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:37 PM

how bout both?

#12 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

how bout both?

Im currently broke, have about 25$ dollars.
I can only really afford one.

#13 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

Im currently broke, have about 25$ dollars.
I can only really afford one.

If you only have $25 why are you buying a nerf gun?

#14 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:01 AM

^Because he's a kid.

/thread

#15 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

^Because he's a kid.

/thread

Im a kid who obviously has more intelect than you, judging by your 4 word symbol filled posts.
I have a certain number of dollars I limit myself to to spend on nerf a month. That is 35$. I bought a LBB earlier this month, so that leaves me with 25$. In my bank account, I have at least 500$.
Thanks

Edited by mystefansdontflystraight, 22 March 2008 - 09:45 AM.

#16 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

Im a kid who obviously has more intelect than you, judging by your 4 word symbol filled posts.

You spelled intellect wrong.

The AT3K kicks the Recon's ass. I've got a singled 3K (which used to be turreted) that lasted through Hell Before Halloween and did very well. It was very durable, had good range and ROF, plus two packs can be bought at TRU for $20.00 here. A kickass weapon from a kickass line of blasters.

The Recon, on the other hand, sucks ass stock and when modified just doesn't so the sexiness justice. I've got an AR removal and compression trick on mine and it hits about the same as my AT1K. It's good for indoor wars and with an Angel Breach and a better spring would probably be an awesome sidearm.

Even with these Pros, the 3K is the winner because of the bang for your buck and the simplicity of the modifications that can be done to it.

Edited by deaddumpster, 22 March 2008 - 01:04 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#17 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

Guys theres nothing wrong with being a kid.

I still wish I was a kid, hence my involvement on NH.

I'd go for the 3k, simply because the Airtech line is pretty badass.

Edited by Richomundo, 22 March 2008 - 01:55 PM.

#18 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

^Because he's a kid.

/thread

I have a certain number of dollars I limit myself to to spend on nerf a month. That is 35$. I bought a LBB earlier this month, so that leaves me with 25$. In my bank account, I have at least 500$.
Thanks

Dude, first of all take a chill pill. Look around you and ask why we are all here. We're still kids at heart, albeit we're using our matured ingenuity and intellect (and access to tools and materials) to modify our blasters.

Second of all, you said you were currently broke. Yet you have $500 in the bank. Ok cool, save your money. Simple solution? Wait until next month (or next payday). $25 this month you didn't spend goes into your Nerf budget NEXT month, for a total of $60. Problem solved. Heck, get yourself two if you want.

Third of all, is it wrong to assume that anyone who has only $25 in his broke-ass pocket but will decidedly spend it on Nerf doesn't need to pay for his/her own living expenses (like eating or rent or gas)? I'm SO sorry for assuming things.

Anyways, get your broke ass some AT3Ks, they're good primaries and if you fudge one up then you've got your backup for parts. I'm hesitating on my Recon because I'd shell out another $20 just to get another one for parts.

#19 KyleDarklighter

KyleDarklighter

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

Well I must be in the minority here. I hate the AT3k. I got a 2 pack to pull the air system out of to mount in a Firefly. As soon as I handled & fired it for the first time I knew i would never use this blaster. For a stock air gun the range and muzzle velocity is horrid. I got a used SM3K (yellow tank) & it fire twice as far and fast. I also have 1 other major problem with both designs. When you pump you have nothing to brace with but the hand holding the grip & after the pump your hands are almost touching. This causes me to want to point down when pumping. Take a lot more time and energy between shots. If you don't plan to mod it & want a comfortable blaster to use go with the Recon. I plan to pick one up in the next 3 months or so. I gutted one of my AT3ks and I'm donating the other one.

Garrett

#20 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:06 PM

Plug the Pump, single it, replace the barrels. The first one and either of the last two will give you a badass blaster. It's range is just as bad as any other stock airgun, and who here keeps their guns stock anyway? After a while, you get used to the ways you have to pump it, I found it to be a bitch at first. Now, my remaining 3K sits on my wall, waiting for another war.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users