Easy Airtech 2k Barrel Replacement

Nice way to experiment

22 replies to this topic

#1 StephenColbert

StephenColbert

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

To start off, I would like to say that after searching I did not see any posts on this, so to the best of my knowledge this hasn't been done before. And this is also my first posted mod.

This week I received my PETG order from OMC. I had ordered mainly thick walled, but I also ordered some medium walled to experiment with. I started replacing barrels on my guns with thick walled, but when I got to my second Airtech 2000, I decided to use the medium walled. I discovered a very unique thing about the medium walled PETG and my Airtech.

EDIT: After extensive testing, I have decided that this is not a viable long term mod. It is good for experimenting, but once you have decided on a barrel length, glue it in and put a coupler on.

What you need:
Airtech 2000
Screwdriver
Medium walled PETG (any length) (I used 2 barrels: a 6" barrel and a 1' barrel)
Electrical tape
Hot glue or other type of glue (only if you want to plug the overrelease valve)
(Told you this would be very easy)

Ok, start off by opening your Airtech, not too difficult.
Then take off the turret.

See the small barrel-type thing that used to attach to your turret? Slide your PETG over it. Perfect fit, right? I'm not talking about the thin long piece, I am talking about the base of it where it widens out. Medium walled PETG is a perfect snug fit over it.
To add stability, wrap E-tape around the end of the skinny tube until it is about the size of the inside diameter of the PETG.
Posted Image

Once you have your E-tape just right, slide your PETG over.
Posted Image

Now plug the over release valve, put it back together, and it's done!
Posted Image
Posted Image

The cool thing about this is that you can replace the barrel without glue and you can even put in different lengths of barrel without opening up the gun.

Now onto what I feel might be a bit controversial.

The ranges that I got with this gun are ridiculous (at least to me) and that is why I am skeptical even myself about them. According to my memory (which isn't that good), I think most airtechs get around 100'. Please correct me if I am wrong. But I got 150 feet.

I tested level, with a streamliner that had been filled with hot glue. It flew very straight, and went about 20' farther than my crappy stefans. There was a small, steady breeze and I fired both with the wind and against the wind. When fired with the wind, they got 170', and when fired against the wind they got 130'. This is how I got the figure of 150'.

I also fired at a mountain dew 12 pack box to test the sheer power of it. I fired 3 stefans into it from 10' away. The BB's in all three broke off and punched right through the first side. One of the BB's actually lodged itself into the other side. This is more power than I have ever seen, but please correct me if this power is standard of a modified airtech.
Here are some pics of the box:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Sorry about the crappy pics

All in all I like the setup and easiness of this mod. It allows for instant changing of barrels and seems to get incredible ranges. Tomorrow I am going to test again and make sure that the ranges are accurate. Please tell me if you think these ranges are reasonable.

Edited by StephenColbert, 21 March 2008 - 11:05 PM.

Write me in for President!
Colbert 08'

#2 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

I'll try this mod, I have a spare air tech 2000 laying around. Although, I have only one medium walled 12 in. piece. Do you think that having mod man's Petg will affect this mod? As opposed to OMC's.? Anyway, nice mod if the ranges are correct, but I think you are more than likely to get flamed for this.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#3 Squilt

Squilt

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

Umm would you ram-rod the dart down with literly a ram-rod or take it off?
Dead I am the rat, feast upon the cat
Tender is the fur, dying as you purr.... oOoo...

Wait, your licking hot glue?Insane. But I like it.

-- Spyder S.nyper

#4 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

So, you've singled an Airtech 2k and threw on about three feet of petg, and you're suprised that you're getting 150 ft ranges with weighted streamlines?

You've got a blaster that has basically the same air chamber as the LBB, with a (typically) more effective pump, and a much longer barrel than what almost everybody else uses.

#5 StephenColbert

StephenColbert

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

ChiliPepperFender: Having Mod Man's PETG could very well make a difference. OMC's medium wall has an inside diameter of .548". Thick walled, which has an ID of .528" wouldn't work for me so if it is has similar dimensions as medium walled PETG it might work. As for the ranges, I did them hastily because it was getting dark so I didn't have time to test very well. I would like to point out to everyone again that I am not backing these ranges and am skeptical of them myself. Which is why I am going to spend my day off tomorrow to test it more.

Squilt: Either or, you can ramrod the dart down the barrel or you can take off the barrel and put the dart in from the rear and then put the barrel back on. But honestly, ramming the dart would work better I feel.

umdlancer: As I stated in my post, I am using a one foot barrel. I used 1 foot because I just wanted to experiment with the medium walled PETG. I started to mod nerf guns about 9 months ago so I really have no clue as to how good a range this gun has compared with similar airtech mods.

I just swapped on a 6 inch barrel and it seems to shoot just as hard, I will range test with it as well tomorrow.

Edited by StephenColbert, 20 March 2008 - 11:42 PM.

Colbert 08'

#6 Jules Winfield

Jules Winfield

• Banned
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:40 PM

Umm would you ram-rod the dart down with literly a ram-rod or take it off?

That's what I call the englewood deck.

#7 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

ChiliPepperFender: Having Mod Man's PETG could very well make a difference. OMC's medium wall has an inside diameter of .548". Thick walled, which has an ID of .528" wouldn't work for me so if it is has similar dimensions as medium walled PETG it might work. As for the ranges, I did them hastily because it was getting dark so I didn't have time to test very well. I would like to point out to everyone again that I am not backing these ranges and am skeptical of them myself. Which is why I am going to spend my day off tomorrow to test it more.

Squilt: You can ramrod the dart down the barrel or you can take off the barrel and put the dart in from the rear and then put the barrel back on. But honestly, ramming the dart would work better I feel.

umdlancer: As I stated in my post, I am using a one foot barrel. I used 1 foot because I just wanted to experiment with the medium walled PETG. I started to mod nerf guns about 9 months ago so I really have no clue as to how good a range this gun has compared with similar airtech mods.

I just swapped on a 6 inch barrel and it seems to shoot just as hard, I will range test with it as well tomorrow.

Alright, well it's medium walled but I don't know the ID of it. Let us know your results.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#8 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:28 AM

So, you've singled an Airtech 2k and threw on about three feet of petg, and you're suprised that you're getting 150 ft ranges with weighted streamlines?

You've got a blaster that has basically the same air chamber as the LBB, with a (typically) more effective pump, and a much longer barrel than what almost everybody else uses.

Hey, I was surprised too, and this is not the first AT2K mod I've seen. ^_^ i didn't know that a longer-than-normal barrel would have such a dramatic effect. This is very encouraging for me personally, since I just found five AT2Ks at my local Kohls.

The only concern I have with this mod is that the barrel probably isn't very stably attached, but that can be easily remedied should it become an issue.

#9 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

Nice easy to follow write up but I am going to advise against doing this.

That E-tape holding the barrel snug will not last. Especially because there is no barrel support on the petg.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#10 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

Nice easy to follow write up but I am going to advise against doing this.

That E-tape holding the barrel snug will not last. Especially because there is no barrel support on the petg.

The easy solution to the stability problem is just to add a simple coupler mod on top. Throw a 1/2" pvc coupler over the nub to which you are afixing the barrel, and secure it with something rigid (epoxy or high strength super glue) in the seam, and something flexible (plumbers goop is the way to go) over the seam. Then seat your medium walled petg inside a length of 1/2" pvc with enough sticking out the back to slide down over that nub and you have yourself a secure barrel solution. Then Make a flip breach damn-it.

#11 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

I have a twelve in barrel made out of a telescope stand leg (It was cheap, fits my darts well, and it was smooth.) It ended up being about twelve inches long, and I was still fishtailing my darts, so I threw on about 4 inches of standard half inch pvc (Drilled to screw on over the barrel.) Gets good enough ranges for what it is.

EDIT: VACC, I didn't mean to hijack it.

Edited by boisie, 22 March 2008 - 10:01 AM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#12 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:57 AM

Why did you post that in this thread? Don't hijack someone else's thread because you're gun doesn't work. Go start a new one.

#13 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

That's a foot of PETG? My apologies. Try range-testing it with standard cut-down taggers. You'll probably blow apart stefans with alarming consistency.

#14 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:20 AM

If the At2k was still in production, I would waste no time, go to whatever store it was in, and buy like 5.
They are really good, as your mod shows.
integrating them is easy, too. Where did you get yours?
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#15 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

12 inches will do fine. I personally use a crayola, with brass over it (19/32") with petg in that. Works great for me.

The PETG fits over the airtank's nub. If I were you, I would glue a 1/2" pvc coupler over the tank, glue in the PETG, and add PVC to protect the PETG. So really, its a coupler job that you can breech load.

Edit:

The cardboard is normal. 150 feet is crazy good. I get 90-110 feet, more or less doesn't matter. Try to stay below 5 pumps, it will stress the airtank. I usually use 3 pumps with the plug pumped (I didn't mess that up).

My 2k can shoot through 3/8" corkboard, so yeah, they are pretty powerful.

Edited by keef, 21 March 2008 - 06:15 PM.

Timothy M-Lick <3

#16 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

I bought one at kohls yesterday, and did a similar mod to keef's and i get about 130' with taggers, i haven't made stefans in a while...must go make some.

#17 StephenColbert

StephenColbert

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

Well, I retested today, and I got nearly the same results.

The wind was blowing all over the place and so I tested from two directions using a 100' tape measure. I used streamliners with the tips filled with hot glue again. Also all shots were with 5 pumps.

Shooting to the South using a 1' barrel:
127'
100'
140'
107'
Avg: 119'
Shooting to the North using a 1' barrel:
169'
168'
159'
162'
Avg: 165'

Total Avg: 142'

Shooting to the South using a 6" barrel:
125'
95'
105'
133'
Avg: 115'
Shooting to the North using a 6" barrel:
109'
99'
108'
115'
Avg: 108'

Total Avg: 112'

For shits and giggles I shot a few angled shots and got 198', 220', and 187'

During testing I encountered problems with the gun shooting the barrel off. I added more E-tape and that stopped that. I think once I figure out what size of barrel I want, I am going to glue it in and put on a coupler.
I have decided that this mod really is just an easy way to experiment. This is not a permanent solution.

mystefansdontflystraight: My first Nerf gun I ever had was an Airtech. This particular airtech is one of 6 that I gobbled up from Kohl's when I heard that they were stopping selling them.

I have started experimenting with OMC's medium walled PETG in other guns and I am getting fantastic results. I stuffed a 1' section of it down a longshot's barrel and saw an improvement of 10-15' over my previous range. I tried doing the same with thick walled but it decreased ranges. Once I get it figured out on how to use the clip with it I will post.

I would really like to encourage people to experiment with OMC's medium walled PETG. It has improved ranges for my stefans and streamliners better than thick walled.

Edited by StephenColbert, 23 March 2008 - 11:55 AM.

Colbert 08'

#18 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

Why did you post that in this thread? Don't hijack someone else's thread because you're gun doesn't work. Go start a new one.

Not hijacking, explaining my experience with 1 foot. I was using it as an example of how a long barrel helps. The second part was hijacking, and I noticed that after you posted that. I'll edit it out.

About the ranges, I'd have to say, what the hell was the wind doing? It seems like it was going 50mph. I think we all want to know correct windless ranges (I do.)
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#19 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

I'm really doubting the ranges too. I only have quadded at2k's, with 6inch barrels, but they max out at 90'. I know the turret probably decreases reange by, at max, 20'. I don't see how you're getting 140'+. I can see that with a plugged Big Blast which you pump 20 times and it explodes after two shots, but not an at2k.

Was the wind blowing, and how many times are you pumping it?

Good little write-up nonetheless. It seems obvious to me (no offence) but it might not have occured to other people...

You should definitely glue your barrel on. All barrels (or couplers) on all guns should be glued on, even hot glue would work (for this application, I don't trust it under other circumstances).

Edit: As for medium walled PETG, it just depends on the size of your darts. CDTD's work fine in the Thick Walled I have, and my stefans are about the same diameter.

Edited by OfAllTheNerf, 22 March 2008 - 10:12 AM.

[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#20 StephenColbert

StephenColbert

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:20 AM

A lot of you are asking about how the wind affected ranges. This is why I tested from 2 opposite directions. That way I experienced the boost of wind at my back helping me, and wind coming at me hurting range. Averaging both sets you can effectively negate the effect of wind. That is how I came up with 142'.

OfAllTheNerf: The reason that I am getting better ranges is because of my longer barrel. When I tested using the 6" barrel I got similar ranges to you. And as I stated earlier, I pumped 5 times on all shots. The reason that I seem so hyped up about medium walled PETG is because it (at least for me) shoots streamliners better. I know that my stefans are going to be different from others and so medium walled may be better for some and not for others. But streamliners should be the same all around for everyone.
Colbert 08'

#21 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:49 AM

This particular airtech is one of 6 that I gobbled up from Kohl's when I heard that they were stopping selling them.

Wait, what?!
Shit, I'd better go clear out the rest of the SR256 Kohls' stock!
Must get there before Lynx! :D

Edited by Green Riptide, 23 March 2008 - 01:49 AM.

#22 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

This particular airtech is one of 6 that I gobbled up from Kohl's when I heard that they were stopping selling them.

Wait, what?!
Shit, I'd better go clear out the rest of the SR256 Kohls' stock!
Must get there before Lynx! <_<

Yeah, Kohl's rocks. I got 5 AT2Ks this month from them.

#23 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

Haha ha Green Riptide...

I will only need 1 in my life and that is the one I got. But I will take 10 of em for collecting/selling on e-bay.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users