Newbie Needs Help

8 replies to this topic

#1 hoplite318

hoplite318

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and to Nerf in general. I came across the whole modding thing while looking at painting techniques for some prop guns I was working on. Anyway, once I saw what some of you guys do with the Nerf guns, I was hooked.

So of course, I had to try my hand at it. I picked up a Maverick, and have attempted to modify it to increase range and power. I followed the "straw modification" idea, but instead of straws I filled the area behind the air restrictors with hot glue, then drilled a hole through the glue about the same diameter of a straw. I drilled out the center of the air restrictors, and put the whole thing back together after painting.

Problem is, it doesn't seem to have really changed much. The paint job is turning out great (will post pics as soon as I'm done withe minor detail work). So, any ideas how I can get even better range? I'm still using the standard darts that came with the gun - will using stefans make a difference?

Thanks.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

And that's why most of us don't like the maverick. It's not really going to shoot very far no matter what you do to it.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

You might have gotten a bad seal, or it jus might not have helped range. Some mods don't actually work as well as people say they do.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#4 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

Stefans will make a difference for most every modded blaster. They won't really help enough in crappy/ low-power blasters, like the maverick.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#5 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

Mav sucks, plain and simple. If you want range, get a AT3K or a 4b.
they have range, and the at3k has a good rate of fire.
The maverick is the most overrated gun on the face of the planet.
Everyone thinks it is cool and tries to be gangster by using it.
5 minutes here though, those people will realize they suck.
Good job though attempting the straw mod. I tried, and could not get it to work.
Welcome to NH.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#6 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

Like the others said, you might want to just give up on the maverick and get a different gun. I recommend the firefly, because they can get decent range, they're comfortable and light, and they have lotsa ammo storage.

There is, however, one problem. I got my FF for Christmas, and when I took out all the screws before modding it, I discovered that the back of it was actually glued together at the inner pillars where the screws go. I couldn't open it up completely, so I had to just wedge my hands inside holding a screwdriver, and remove the turret and the air restrictors and stuff. The problem was that there are a lot of little rods, and poles, and pointy things on the inside of the shell, and they scratched up the back of my hands quite a bit. I don't know if they started gluing the newer s, but it made it a lot harder.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#7 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

That happened to me, so put something behind the worked-on area to keep it wedged open.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#8 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Everyone says the DTB are really awesome and lots of people recommend them, but I couldn't get 50 feet out of my friends. I'm putting a 2k in it so its usable as a primary.

I would recommend a DTB with a 2k in it. Or, a RF20k :)
Timothy M-Lick <3

#9 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

It is okay, don't feel bad. Back in my first days of modifying a did the straw mod to a friend's Maverick, like you I used hot glue instead of the foam. Let's just say I was disappointed, I tested it compared to a stock one and only got about an average of 1 foot better in range, I'd go so far as to say it didn't do anything at all and it was a coincidence that I even got any better range at all. I did my first paintjob on it too, it was a nice dark green, like a maple leaf in the summer. My suggestion: go pick up a Nightfinder, you'll be far more satisfied with the range increase.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users