Telescoping Breech

For use with the Recon

7 replies to this topic

#1 Anothernoob

Anothernoob

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

When I first saw the Recon I saw a gun with alot of possibilities. I feel like most people gave up on it, I didn't... Now there have been a couple new breeches for the Recon, but none of them satisfied me...

So I made my own.

Posted Image

I call it the Telescoping Breech because of the way it works. It consists of 3 parts:
9/16" guide tube
17/32" breech
1/2" actuator

A 9/16" brass guide tube is glued to the inside of the the existing Recon "barrel".

Within the guide tube is a free-moving peice of 17/32" brass that has the breech cut into it to allow a dart to enter. This peice of brass also serves as the new effective barrel for the gun.

Lastly, a small length of 1/2" brass is secured to the inside of the stock breech (the part that moves when you move the slide). This small section of brass along with the stock breech acts upon the 17/32" brass to open and close the breech. When closing the slide, the 1/2" brass also pushes the dart forward of the breech and into the barrel.

Yes, yes fancy jargon I know, but these terms will soon make sense to you. Keep in mind this is NOT a write-up! I'll make one if there's demand for it. The intention of this topic is to explain how this nice little breech of mine works with the Recon. Read on...

Like all breeches, this one starts closed:
Posted Image

As the slide is pulled back, a lip on the edge of the 1/2" actuator engages the 17/32" breech:
Posted Image

The 1/2" brass pulls the 17/32" brass which moves freely within the 9/16" guide tube:
Posted Image

The breech is fully open:
Posted Image

At this point, a dart will enter from the clip. The nature of this breech requires you to modify the clips the same way you would need to modify them to work with the Angel breech.

For the purpose of explaining the concepts behind the telescoping breech, I carefully placed a dart in the breech:
Posted Image

As the slide is moved forward, the dart travels with the breech into the 9/16" guide tube:
Posted Image

A very small lip on the back edge of the breech tube catches the guide tube and allows the 1/2" actuator to then slide into the 17/32" breech, pushing the dart forward of the breech and further into the barrel section:
Posted Image

The lip holds the 17/32" until the front of the plastic stock breech hits it and pushes it the rest of the way into the guide tube, finishing the cycle. To make these small lips I simply SLIGHTLY flared out the openings of the various tubes. What this does is provide slight resistance but not so much that the pieces cannot slide within one another. This is essential because without any friction, the pieces would not move each other at all.

Well that's the telescoping breech for you! 3 pieces of brass that move inside one another to create a functional, airtight breech!

Since I'm sure you will all demand "Ranges?" I can tell you that I haven't measured them with a tape measure and I probably never will, but it definitely hits harder and is more accurate than the stock breech. There are a few bugs though... The thing has shredded/mis-chambered a few darts. I still need to work this out however I think it's more a problem with my clip rather than with the breech.

This is my first posted creation since becoming a member of the 'haven, and I hope it was clear enough for everyone to understand. Alot of thought and trial and error went into creating this breech for the Recon, and I'm hoping that it may be useful for this as well as any other breeched blasters Hasbro may release in the future.

Flames? Comments? Maybe - dare I say - props?

#2 Shadowblind

Shadowblind

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

Huh...sadly, my mind isn't able to make my hands do something like that, but it looks like it would work very well. The breech system looks effective.

P.S. Has this ever been done before?

Edited by Shadowblind, 20 March 2008 - 10:53 PM.

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

Very nice, good clean photos, easy to understand, excellent first post.
I hate breech's that shred darts. I had this problem with the ABBB sometimes. The Angel breech has only shredded one dart and that was because the dart was all bent to hell.

I would reccomend covering the brass in the front.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#4 Squilt

Squilt

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

Cool!!! :)

I like it but are you using it like as a pistol or primary, cuase if it's a pistol you should take some pvc or cpvc and wrap it in black electrical tape as a mock silencer and also it could protect the brass from dents and such.
If your useing it as a primary you should put the front on it and that other weird stuff.

Edited by Squilt, 20 March 2008 - 11:05 PM.

Dead I am the rat, feast upon the cat
Tender is the fur, dying as you purr.... oOoo...

Wait, your licking hot glue?Insane. But I like it.

-- Spyder S.nyper

#5 Jules Winfield

Jules Winfield

• Banned
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

Damn, That is a tasty burger!

You sprang some gourmet shit on us.

#6 Anothernoob

Anothernoob

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

I would use this as a secondary weapon. One thing that attracted me to the Recon in the first place was that it was a multi-shot gun like the Longshot, only much smaller. It's a multi-shot pistol with easily changeable clips!

#7 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

I've been itching for a breech myself but finding a solution without replacing the bolt itself is proving to be a
daunting task.

Just wondering, at which point do your darts shave? I don't think having a moving breech is a good idea.

Now that I've read your thread I think it would be better having a 1/2" piece as your breech...

edit: except a 1/2" brass pipe wouldn't fit a dart.

edit 2: Now I've got an idea for a different breech system, and I'm just wondering in a general sense...

Angel Breech has a tube surrounding the actuator and also covers the breech itself when the breech is closed. Anothernoob also has his guiding tube which surrounds the breech. Now my question is this: Is this outer tube really necessary? I was thinking it might help the seal, and make it truly airtight, but if it's unnecessary then why bother with it? Without it, the breech system would be a lot simpler. Is it alright to just use 1/2" actuator which pushes a dart about a half-inch further inside a 17/32" breech, or would the seal be less than favourable?

Edited by min.tee, 21 March 2008 - 02:25 AM.

#8 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

COOL! Im going to definetly get a recon after seeing this. I heard it sucked, but with this breech, I cannot see how it can suck anymore.
Welcome to NH.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users