Barrel Material Question

Copper?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Blakfyr

Blakfyr

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:33 AM

I noticed a lot of you guys use brass or pvc for your barrels. If I may ask, why not use copper? For some stupid reason the major hardware stores around here dont carry brass, so i switched to copper. Let me tell you a 1/2" copper barrel seems to work quite well with my stefans. I did ompa's titan mod with copper and at 30 pumps they embed in cardboard. I dunno, but you guys can flame away.

Edited by Blakfyr, 19 March 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

Generally, cooper tends to be quite heavy, and a poor fit for darts. However, it seems to work for some people's darts. No one will flame you for using it...on the contrary, if it works for you, by all means, use it. It's just not a first (or second, or third) choice for barrel material for 95% of the people on the boards

As a note, copper as a barrel material has been discussed. Search around.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:42 PM

Not flame. Whatever works for you is what is best for your weaponry.

The one complaint that most experienced Nerfers have about copper is the weight. Copper is naturally heavy and if you have more than one barrel, you have compromise in two different ways;

1) If you have a turret, the turret sometimes has difficulty rotating (auto-rotating turrets like AirTech 3000s), or it has a propensity to go crooked on you (manual rotate turrets like AT2ks).

2) If you adapt a coupler to your blaster (single barreled weapons), the weight could dislodge the barrel when running, jumping, etc.

But if it works for you, no complaints from this side. I personally tried brand-new copper pipe, and found stefan performance to be sub-par. More modders are going with plastics (PETG, CPVC, PVC) nowadays, or are sheathing their brass barrels in plastic (to minimize damage or bending).

Bottom line, if it works for you, it works. Won't make much for forum conversation, for the above reasons.

-Piney-

EDIT: What Carbon said. I type slowly.

This isn't a flame... But a modded Titan with any barrel is quite powerful. Enjoy.
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#4 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:57 PM

As a side note, major hardware stores don't usually carry brass (except maybe Acce or True Value). I've never heard of a Lowes or Home Depot having the kind of brass that we use as barrels.

If you want brass, check out your local hobby shop, or online. A common brand of brass is "K&S."

But, like others said, it's up to you to find what barrel material fits your darts and your modification.

Edited by jwasko, 19 March 2008 - 01:01 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#5 Blakfyr

Blakfyr

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

Oh ok i thought i was being a mutant or something, cause i never saw anyone discuss copper. Anyways thanks for the tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users