Photo

Poll: The Maverick

Good,Bad, or Ugly?

17 replies to this topic

Poll: The Maverick, Overrated, underrated, or just shit? (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Thoughts on the Maverick

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

I've been seeing mixed reviews about mavericks, so now i wonder " Is it worth it?"

EDIT: Also I will be having similar polls in the future on basically anything, in an almost monthly fashion, so heads up

Edited by Philote, 17 March 2008 - 05:10 PM.

EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

#2 Recruit

Recruit

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:27 AM

The maverick good for a stock gun.
But most people dont like the maverick because it is difficult to take apart and mod.
Falcon about himself.
... Ask Bags...he'll tell you without hesitation that I'm an idiot, but I certainly think about it before I do something stupid.

"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."

-Piney-

#3 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

More importantly, it has a reverse plunger which sucks donkey dong. Also, the spring is weak and the rotation mechanism which can skip. Finally, the cocking mechanism breaks over time. Those 4 things KILL the Maverick when it is stock.

HOWEVER, this gun has potential. You can replace or foam the plunger. Use a penny mod or get a better spring. Strengthen the rotation mechanism and replace the slider.

Since the Maverick has the potential to be great, noobies buy it thinking it IS great stock. However, if you buy it and improve it one modification at a time, go ahead! You will learn about which mods improve the gun the most and then you can buy another Maverick and just do the best modifications to it.

Look at the Modification Directory or the Nerfopedia for mods or advice.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#4 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

On top of that, they have a terrible seal. I did ice's drop clip mod, and it works, and It is simpler than CS's, but I came across one problem: The turret no longer seals with the clip, it's like a half a cm away from it.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#5 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

The Maverick isn't bad. Sure, it has bad seal, a fuckplunger, and is rather large, but it has some potential. I think that if you can have a six-shot secondary/sidearm that has high ROF and quick reload times that shoots 30'-40', that's great. I mean, unless you're playing on huge fields (which some/most of you probably are), you're not going to need a sidearm that shoots 70' (and yes NF's can get that far with questionable durability). Then again you might need a "long" range sidearm.

But yes, unless you want to perform extensive modifications, the Mav usually isn't the best. For a more experiences "modder"/"moddist", it shouldn't be a problem to make the mav worthy of... Something.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#6 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

The maverick is a piece of shit... end of story.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#7 BingoBrown

BingoBrown

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

I bought a Maverick, it was crap, and I returned it. I'd like to find a similar size sidearm with a decent clip size, but one that doesn't suck. I might pick up one of these to try it out: http://www.freewebs....memade/pbpb.htm

#8 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

I've been seeing mixed reviews about mavericks, so know i wonder " Is it worth it?"

I'm afraid all you're going to get here are mixed reviews as well, considering how it seems everyone has a different opinion on the gun.

I personally voted "bad" due to the fact that I'm not a good modder (which you should be if you're going to even bother with the gun), and with the knowledge that there are better sidearms available for purchase easily.

#9 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

I guess "Bad" is about the closest thing to "A-the-Suck" on your list of choices.

Mavs are a pain to mod, they rarely remain reliable once modded, and they are prone to breaking.

Just get a NF, Disk Shot, Or TTG and improve your accuracy, then you won't need ROF.

-Bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#10 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

Im going to say its an excellent gun. Maybe not for range, but the ROF is quite good, and Its a very easy gun to become comfortable with using. The accuracy is great once you get used to the gun. Despite what everyone says, its absolutely a piece of cake to mod. It was my first modded gun, and I had no problems whatsoever. Sure it may take some time, but its still very simple. People are just scared of having so many parts to work with at once. Granted the weak cocking mechanism is a major pain in the ass if you like stock looking guns, but even that and the rotation mechanism are easy to fix. You cant forget the awesomeness that is the Nitemav either.

#11 Trevor

Trevor

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

I think the Maverick is a superb gun when modded. Sure it sucks stock, but thats the same story for all nerf guns. I've modded a nitemav, and I have to say that who wouldn't like the range of a NF with the ROF of a maverick?

#12 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

The maverick is a piece of shit... end of story.

Well said Dark Shrimp, anyway I personally think the maverick is average, run-of-the-mill, I would vote but I wouldn't mess with my results.
EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

#13 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

If you're playing strictly stock guns, then the maverick is a beast in close quarters. However, when modded, from what I read at least, it can't compete with most other guns.

#14 Trevor

Trevor

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:24 AM

If you're playing strictly stock guns, then the maverick is a beast in close quarters. However, when modded, from what I read at least, it can't compete with most other guns.

If you make a nitemav out of it, its basically just a reshelled 6 shot nitefinder, which all of you here at NH seem to fap to. The Maverick is underrated in my opinion. It gets too much crap when really its a gun with alot of potential. I also think it beats out the Recon almost anyday.

Edited by Trevor, 17 March 2008 - 08:29 AM.

#15 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

If you make a nitemav out of it, its basically just a reshelled 6 shot nitefinder, which all of you here at NH seem to fap to. The Maverick is underrated in my opinion. It gets too much crap when really its a gun with alot of potential. I also think it beats out the Recon almost anyday.

Posted Image
*fap* *fap* *fap*

Seriously, the maverick sucks. After I opened it up to remove the air restrictors, the slider tore out of the plastic housing after five shots. Now I have a maverick in fifteen pieces at home and I have little reason to keep that terrible little plunger in it. A nitemav is the only true way to make a maverick viable when everyone's running around with guns that get ranges that are fifty feet and higher. The maverick just doesn't compete. Not to mention the fact that the damn thing BREAKS. I have never had any other nerf gun break on me.

Get a nitefinder, get an At2k, I don't care. Just don't waste your money on the Maverick like I did.
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#16 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:37 AM

I voted for "Good", because we play indoors exclusively. (church youth group that my wife and I help out with)

When you are dealing with ranges under 20' most of the time, the Maverick is tough to beat. The ROF is great, and the range (once you remove the AR's) is enough to go wall to wall anywhere but in the largest rooms (the sanctuary & fellowship hall).

Among our arsenal, only the Recon & Longshot can keep up ROF-wise, the the LS is too unwieldy for tight quarters!
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#17 GeneralShadowp

GeneralShadowp

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

Personaly I like the mavrick :D but i haven't gotten to mod it yet :(
The Shadow Strikes

#18 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

Posted Image
*fap* *fap* *fap*

Seriously, the maverick sucks. After I opened it up to remove the air restrictors, the slider tore out of the plastic housing after five shots. Now I have a maverick in fifteen pieces at home and I have little reason to keep that terrible little plunger in it. A nitemav is the only true way to make a maverick viable when everyone's running around with guns that get ranges that are fifty feet and higher. The maverick just doesn't compete. Not to mention the fact that the damn thing BREAKS. I have never had any other nerf gun break on me.

Get a nitefinder, get an At2k, I don't care. Just don't waste your money on the Maverick like I did.

This is the only thing i would do with the maverick. I hate when the cocking mechanism breaks from extended use. Get a nite finder instead.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users