Photo

Air Powered Ls I Need Help

22 replies to this topic

#1 OWEN

OWEN

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:37 AM

ok so i just got my friend the long shot for his birthday..but he does not think it has enough power so he wants to make it air powered. so i took the challenge, i want it to work just like the long shot. i was thinking of useing an old pump water gun. please post with ideas or help

#2 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:02 AM

This is going to take EXCESSIVE amounts of work. And also, even if you did use a pump water gun, it wouldn't work like a stock LS. You could hook it up to a compressor somehow, but I'm not the guy to ask about that. Try slug.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#3 OWEN

OWEN

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:04 AM

This is going to take EXCESSIVE amounts of work. And also, even if you did use a pump water gun, it wouldn't work like a stock LS. You could hook it up to a compressor somehow, but I'm not the guy to ask about that. Try slug.

well mostly i would like it to work by useing a trigger thats why i thought of a water gun.

#4 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:43 AM

Put a 2k pressure chamber in the plunger tube, connect the trigger to the fireing pin, and externally place the pump somewhere and your set. You would half to pump then throw the bolt, but i would be powered by air.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#5 OWEN

OWEN

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:49 AM

Put a 2k pressure chamber in the plunger tube, connect the trigger to the fireing pin, and externally place the pump somewhere and your set. You would half to pump then throw the bolt, but i would be powered by air.

wow i wish i new what all that meant. ill try to figure out

#6 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

Ok.... Have you ever seen the internals of a longshot? An airtek 2000 (2k)?

Posted Image

The white thing at the right end is the tank, and the silver rod comin' out of it is the firing pin. when you pull said pin the gun fires.

Posted Image

The large orange cylinder in the middle of the gun is the plunger tube, you would half to put the tank (pressure chamber) at the back to allow the breach to operate.

My suggestion would be to read this, open up your ls and fiddle with it (but DONT break it). this is a large project, and I think you should try some easier stufz first then (if ever) try this. This has some large flaws though, you would need to mod the breach to get good range (at wich point you would just leave it as a springer), lower rof (rate of fire), and there would be a hell of a lot of dead space in the plunger tube.

Whew! that was a doozy, did i miss anything?

PC

Edited by P.C. III, 16 March 2008 - 03:01 AM.

#7 OWEN

OWEN

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:06 AM

Ok.... Have you ever seen the internals of a longshot? An airtek 2000 (2k)?

Posted Image

The white thing at the right end is the tank, and the silver rod comin' out of it is the firing pin. when you pull said pin the gun fires.

Posted Image

The large orange cylinder in the middle of the gun is the plunger tube, you would half to put the tank (pressure chamber) at the back to allow the breach to operate.

My suggestion would be to read this, open up your ls and fiddle with it (but DONT break it). this is a large project, and I think you should try some easier stufz first then (if ever) try this. This has some large flaws though, you would need to mod the breach to get good range (at wich point you would just leave it as a springer), lower rof (rate of fire), and there would be a hell of a lot of dead space in the plunger tube.

Whew! that was a doozy, did i miss anything?

PC

Thank u that was great!!! I know nerf guns pretty well but i just dont know the names of the parts. Thanks again keep in touch

#8 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

Your welcome. But I seriously recommend just leaving it as a springer. the only way this could work is if you make the tank follow the peace that pushes back the plunger head Posted Image
This one.
Anyhoo, you would half to make the tank be attached to the back of it and have it move back and forth with it as it operates the breach.

so in essence: Work > End result

Edited by P.C. III, 16 March 2008 - 03:20 AM.

#9 OWEN

OWEN

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:33 AM

Your welcome. But I seriously recommend just leaving it as a springer. the only way this could work is if you make the tank follow the peace that pushes back the plunger head Posted Image
This one.
Anyhoo, you would half to make the tank be attached to the back of it and have it move back and forth with it as it operates the breach.

so in essence: Work > End result

i tried to tell my friend that but he would not listen to me!
I will see him tomorrow to talk to him about it
hay um not to sound lame but do you got a myspace? :unsure:

#10 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:38 AM

Not to come off as rude, but probably stick to pms if there is nothing else to add, and don't quote the entire post (especially if there are pics)
No I don't have a myspace
*shun* SHUN THE LAME ONE!!! *shun* jk

#11 OWEN

OWEN

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:41 AM

Ha ha i know I'm lame but i just check my Myspace more.
but ill just tell my friend to stick with the springs.

#12 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:18 AM

You could place the 2k tank in the plunger tube and connect the triggers as stated. But, If you want a clean internal pump. Remove the bolt lock, then connect the handle for the bolt, to the end of a 2K pump. Basiccaly, when ever you cock it, you pump.

I'm sure you can figure it out.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#13 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:40 AM

Ooh, Ooh, do a One-pump At3K mod and replace the plunger chamber with the AT3K tank. Make the charging rod actuate the breech and the pump.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#14 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

The problem is the dead space in the plunger tube. to compensate this you would half to attach the tank to the peace of whom's name I cannot think of. the bolt lock would half to stay and the fireing pin would not be connected, but once the tank is locked the pin could be pushed by the trigger.
Anyone need some pictorial definition wile Im at it?

#15 Dangaard

Dangaard

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:07 PM

this was my original plan, I have been unable to find time to complete it though.

MY AIR LS PLAN

Edited by Dangaard, 16 March 2008 - 11:08 PM.

Discretion is the better part of valor, thats why I carry a very big axe.

You can fool some people all of the time and everyone some of the time, but you cant fool all the people all of the time, but it sure is fun trying.

What have I got in my pocket? (tolkien)

#16 NERF Downunder

NERF Downunder

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:22 PM

The problem is the dead space in the plunger tube. to compensate this you would half to attach the tank to the peace of whom's name I cannot think of. the bolt lock would half to stay and the fireing pin would not be connected, but once the tank is locked the pin could be pushed by the trigger.
Anyone need some pictorial definition wile Im at it?

actually, there is a simple way to achieve this result with no wasted space at all. You would attach the 2k/3k tank to the piece that pushes the plunger, as you stated, but you could simply extend the firing pin of the tank until it extends outside the plunger.

this way, when you prime the LS, the tank is pushed back and the firing pin simply slides backwards (through the trigger plate) , and when the bolt is locked forward again, the firing pin is flush against the trigger.

Edit: like so...

Posted Image

Edited by NERF Downunder, 17 March 2008 - 12:51 AM.

[size=2]Im not racist, i hate everyone!

#17 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:49 PM

That was pretty much what I was trying to get at.
Although the bold does not have very much travel, so to link it to the pump you would need a larger pump to fully pressurize the tank.

#18 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:18 AM

That was pretty much what I was trying to get at.
Although the bold does not have very much travel, so to link it to the pump you would need a larger pump to fully pressurize the tank.

The most simple solution to avoid a massive would be to instal a CS style shotgun grip afixed to the pump handle. You then would just slot the forgrip for a longer action than the breach so that it catches the breach about halfway through it's backward motion (without a plunger spring this action is much much easier). The only downside is you would have to put a weak return spring on the back of the air chamber to close the breach afterwards. For changing out clips you could simply put a hinged catch lever on the fore grip to hold it in the back position until the mag is replaced.

All in all....just keep it a springer.

VACC

#19 pizlo

pizlo

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Keeping the pumping integrated is a stupid idea. keep it simple. First you need something to hold pressure, since I'm guessing you're on a low budget and wont be working with high pressures pvc is fine. then you need a valve actuated witha trigger, so you too keep it within a LS shell you can't use a sprinkler so you either have to buy a 3/4 or 1/2 QEV, or build your own piston valve. the piston valve will give you better performance, but the require building. both can be piloted with a blowgun valve, witch has a trigger that could easily depressed be the LS trigger. now being able to achieve better than stock LS performance on air there is no way you can do that with one pump. 3 maybe from the right pump. to intergrate a pump or two you would probably want to build your own witch isn't too hard, I f you want I can show you a guid or two. the advantage of a setup like this is it he felt like putting 10 or 15 pumps into it he could have a far more powerful gun than most on the site. I think some other people have suggested a hammer valve like thing, but that would be quite hard. this plan would be reallativly easy to make if you learned up on it a bit. Any questions, hit me up.

#20 el swifto

el swifto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

If you want a clipped air gun, use a recon instead. Its not worth wasting a $30 longshot.

#21 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:26 AM

If you want a clipped air gun, use a recon instead. Its not worth wasting a $30 longshot.

I'd have to agree. Or a $10 PBPB.
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Feb 21 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

How come no one ever intends to create a pun? Whenever I make a pun it is always intended. There's nothing wrong with puns.

#22 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

Keeping the pumping integrated is a stupid idea. keep it simple. First you need something to hold pressure, since I'm guessing you're on a low budget and wont be working with high pressures pvc is fine. then you need a valve actuated witha trigger, so you too keep it within a LS shell you can't use a sprinkler so you either have to buy a 3/4 or 1/2 QEV, or build your own piston valve. the piston valve will give you better performance, but the require building. both can be piloted with a blowgun valve, witch has a trigger that could easily depressed be the LS trigger. now being able to achieve better than stock LS performance on air there is no way you can do that with one pump. 3 maybe from the right pump. to intergrate a pump or two you would probably want to build your own witch isn't too hard, I f you want I can show you a guid or two. the advantage of a setup like this is it he felt like putting 10 or 15 pumps into it he could have a far more powerful gun than most on the site. I think some other people have suggested a hammer valve like thing, but that would be quite hard. this plan would be reallativly easy to make if you learned up on it a bit. Any questions, hit me up.

Capitalization, seperation of paragraphs, not spelling which as witch...all things I want you to work on.

#23 Blakfyr

Blakfyr

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

As this is my first post on this site (Great site by the way), let me tell you that modding the LS to be air powered is definately not the way to go. I have spent the last 3 months trying to convert one over, after my nephew tried (he thought he was Macgyver). I am almost done with it but honestly it isnt worth the effort or time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users