Photo

My New Pc

34 replies to this topic

#26 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

My only real accomplishment in terms of computers was filling up 1 TBs worth of Nerf based information. All writeups, videos, and pictures I could find. It is what makes me good at it. I got into most people's head, and I know how they react. Try it.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#27 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:48 PM

Basic introduction to building a computer: http://www.pcstats.c...articleid=1444

For specific quandaries OCforums has more information than you could read in your whole lifetime: http://www.ocforums.com/

I've been building computers for several years. While it's not for everybody, it is very easy and doesn't take much effort or time to learn how. Ever since I started (2001) it has continued to hold true that for $700 to $1,000 you can build an upgradeable machine that can do pretty much everything you need it to. "Do what you WANT" on the other hand is very relative.

I can make a part list for you if you want.

How do you keep it from overheating? ive heard there's issues with this

1. A well laid-out case that offers mounting for primarily 120mm fans
2. A reputable heatsink with a decent size fan and a great deal of effective surface area.
like this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835200023

Edited by CaptainSlug, 16 March 2008 - 11:57 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#28 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:08 AM

I built my computer back in Dec. '06. It has fared me quite well and continues to to this day. There is nothing more rewarding knowing that you only paid people to package your machine and not put it together.

When I bought my machine, the total cost was $1125 (usd). If I bought an equivalent system from Dell/HP I would have spent at least another thousand, maybe more. Most likely more.

Here's the shopping list from back then:

Case - APEVIA X-Dreamer II - Great case, bright LED's. Still need to figure out it I can control them from the computer itself or if I should wire an external switch.
Main Board - NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Was broken when shipped, RMA'd back to the company, upgraded to full ATX (out of stock of the micro) no charge ($20 value and overnight shipping free!)
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester 2.4GHz - AMD FTW! x64 faster, not as compatible. Will be more popular in the future.
GPU - - EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB - I love it it works great. I just can't get the SLI to work 'cause the softeware's not compatible with x64...
HDD (1) - - Seagate Barracuda 80Gb
HDD (2) - - Seagate Barracuda 250Gb (X-mas '07) No problems with either!
RAM - - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 I have 2, second one came at X-mass '07. Both running perfectly.
CD/DVD - LITE-ON Black - Great buy, I love it, I want another.
Keyboard - - Microsoft Natural 4000 B2M-00012 Black Ergonomic keyboards are amazing on the wrists. Don't think they're funny for a reason. They don't take long to get used to and are SO COMFORTABLE!!! I had also used one before on one of out other computers.
Mouse - Microsoft D66-00066 - Basic and simple. We had the white version, I just wanted to keep everything black. I like it it fits my hand better than most. (and it has more than 1 button (silly macs)).
Monitor - Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - It's great I love it. Only problem is the software isn't x64 compatible...
OS (1) - Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 -Now RARE!!!! DISCONTINUED!!! <--That's sad...
OS (2 (Primary (What I'm posting this from))) - Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon Free ware should run the market! x64 flash is slightly broken... <_<
Extra fans (that didn't come with the case) - Thermaltake 120mm blue LED rear case fan.

Other software that I like to say is better, 'cause it is.

Web Browser - Firefox - Everyone knows it's superior, those who think IE is good... They need to get nerfed.
Office programs - Open Office (OOo) - Faster than Corel Office Suite, which is better but maybe not faster than Microsoft Office. Also, it doesn't have all the junk that Microsoft puts in it (Paperclip).
Image editing - The GIMP - Maybe not as easy as Photoshop, but it's free! And I've already stated my opinion about free things.
IM Program - Pidgin - Free, just like AIM/YIM/MSN/ICQ/etc. Multi-protocol IM chat program, quieter than Cerulean Studio's Trillian, and more versatile. No silly ads like in the AIM window.

I guess I'll stop rambling about my computer about now. Yeah, I kinda hijacked the thread, I'm sorry.

Anyway, whatever you do about your computer, whether or not you decide to pay more than you have to for a less than quality machine or a high quality machine. I hope you do enjoy your purchase as much as I have with mine. Computers are a wonder and are wonderful tools.

Always try to fix a problem yourself before sending it back or calling Freak Squad. Resort to some computer tech forums and such. Most people know what they're doing there. If you need help you can ask me or someone else.

Enjoy your system!
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#29 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image
You get the following

1 AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model

1 G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop

2x MSI N9600GT-T2D512 OC GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

1 ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

1 GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ANB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply

1 LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S

1 LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-08

1 ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

1 SABRENT CRW-UINB 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port supports SDHC/VISTA

1 Logitech G11 Silver & Black USB Standard Gaming Keyboard

1 RAZER RZ01-00050200-R2M1 Anarchy Red 7 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Copperhead

1 Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64Bit SP2C

For $1,654 + Shipping
List: http://secure.newegg...Number=10676447

Just needs speakers and a monitor.
19" LCD: $149
20" LCD: $200
21.6" LCD: $220
28" LCD: $550

Edited by CaptainSlug, 17 March 2008 - 02:28 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#30 anders

anders

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

Apart from costing me an arm, a leg, and my firstborn:

Don't forget your soul, but thats nice, i've wanted a new computer ever since I found out I cant play The Orange Box on a Mac. Oh and all that crap still won't be enough to run Crysis :D
Well, maybe, if it's the only game on your computer.

That statement about crysis is totaly wrong. My computer which i build a few months ago has no problem running crysis on dx10 high grafic settings, and my computer is not even half as powerful as that. But yeah he wont be able to play 2 instaces of crysis at the same time, no one can.
QUOTE(VACC @ Aug 16 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post

Does posting in agreement somehow validate your standing in the community? Personally I think it just makes you look like a tool.

the el snapo again

#31 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

::insert 1337 pc here::

Wow, thanks. More than likely getting this.

#32 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Unnecessary consumerism ITT.

with that aside, you can get a computer that plays amazing games for half the price.

your pc is overkill.

and if you're still in high school, save your computer money for a decent laptop for college unless you can ultimately afford both

Edited by Richomundo, 21 March 2008 - 06:49 PM.

#33 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

Oh wow, that's a cool PC.

Next year though, it will suck.
igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#34 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

I can run last gen games on my PC with alot of tweaking.

I run a GeForce 5200, 2Ghzt Proccesor, with 512 Ram. Not the best setup, yet its functional

In a month I plan to upgrade the whole thing to a custom built gaming rig of the cheap variety.

All the parts cost $300-350 and Im building it myself with my dad, who kept everyones computers running at the company that manages the software developement for the artificial heart.

Oh, and my new PC will have Green neon LEDs in the case
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#35 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

I tote my desktop back home every time I'm going be gone more than 3 nights. Although I'm thinking about getting a small laptop to take home and such, it'll be solely Linux and will be able to do what I need no problem. and it won't be one of those 12"+ hunks, and it won't be a cookie tray either. It'll be more powerful than most laptops by size.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users