Photo

Yes, Another Noob With Nf Problems

42 replies to this topic

#26 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

Or was it the growing smell of a stupid worthless post it could be both perhaps....

#27 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:54 AM

nevermind.

Edited by Qui'lan Fett, 15 March 2008 - 11:26 AM.

SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#28 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:53 AM

Holy Fucking Shit.

Pretty much.

Half of you don't know what you're talking about, and on the offchance that you do your grammar and attitude make it very hard to percieve (no offence to Frost and NF).

Now everyone is going to have different opinions on ranges, barrel tightnesses, etc. So posting about mine won't help. All I can say is that, in my experience, CPVC is too tight for stock darts, and you can't get a stock dart nearly as far as a stefan. As for how to define "screwing"/"twisting"/"fucking" a dart into a barrel, you should be able to tell if it's too tight. Just compare the force with which you barreled the dart against the force of the plunger. Yes, think. You should be able to figure it out.

A number of things could be going wrong with your NF. I agree with frost that your foam could have come off (this happened with my NF and it's range dropped a good 20' or so). Also you might want to take off some e-tape (as some have said). You should be able to push it in and out pretty fast with little resistance. You should also replace the spring (ACE #49, or something else). If you're using the stock spring don't expect anything spectacular (nothing more than what you're getting).

Good luck.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#29 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

You could always just rubber band it, it's like a spring relplacement but without all the hassle or permenaancy of it. Also try lubing up your plunger in addition to all the other suggestions.

-DTReaper
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#30 Keks

Keks

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

And the winner is..... Jwasko

Edit Wait! I have an idea! Keks: try taking off some of the electrical tape. I have had the problem of having too much friction between the plunger and plunger tube.

It appears I had to much e-tape under my O-ring. I took it off completely, and I was immediately hitting approx. 25 ft, and it was hitting the wall at about nipple level.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Piney: I really appreciated your post, it's nice to see someone I respected on the boards chime in when I'm in need =].

Frost: Same thing. I'll be sure to watch out for the craft foam problems.

Retiate: Actually, I've check my plunger+barrel seal and I've found that the hot glue worked fine, I made sure to score the barrel and the part it's attached to before using the glue. With that in mind, I'm probably going to take your advice with my next NF and use some Goop, only reason I didn't yesterday was I didn't want to wait for it to cure.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll post a write-up or a picture or my next couple projects!

#31 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:59 PM

Well now that we are on the topic of NF problems, I have a dilemma I'd like solved. My NF gets good ranges with the stock spring, so then I replaced it with a handyman spring hoping to make it even better. The stock spring propelled my darts 50', and the handyman only got 40'. I'm at a loss.

#32 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

What kind of barrel are you using?
My guess is your barrel isn't long enough to build up enough pressure, so it all just goes to waste.

Edited by Retiate, 15 March 2008 - 03:03 PM.

#33 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

What kind of barrel are you using?
My guess is your barrel isn't long enough to build up enough pressure, so it all just goes to waste.

I'm using a 3.7" nested telescoping brass barrel. Maybe I should Use a longer piece of 17/32?

#34 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Well now that we are on the topic of NF problems, I have a dilemma I'd like solved. My NF gets good ranges with the stock spring, so then I replaced it with a handyman spring hoping to make it even better. The stock spring propelled my darts 50', and the handyman only got 40'. I'm at a loss.

What were the original dimensions of the Handyman spring (length, OD and wire size), and what did you cut it down to?

#35 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

What were the original dimensions of the Handyman spring (length, OD and wire size), and what did you cut it down to?

The handyman spring was 10 cm long, 2 cm OD, and 2mm thick wire. I cut the length down to 8.5 cm.

#36 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

Not to add something totally useless, but I find it ironic and rather amusing that NerfHaven is all about Nerf Gun modding, but on every Nerf gun I've owned, it CLEARLY states that you should "use only the darts designed for this product" and "do not modify darts or dart blaster"

Oh, and just add something about my NF: I removed the AR and cut the suckers off a couple of sucker darts, but I left the nubby piece inside the foam, so I have a couple of faux stefans and I get 30' pretty consistently. I have the light gray/green/orange NF.
Gimme back my bullets....

#37 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

The handyman spring was 10 cm long, 2 cm OD, and 2mm thick wire. I cut the length down to 8.5 cm.

That's odd, check to see if your barrel assembly is still airtight. The way to do this is to pull back the charging rod, press the barrel (empty, of course) against the palm of your hand, and pull the trigger. The charging rod and plunger head should return to the original position, but you shouldn't hear any air leaking unless you remove your palm.

#38 Pink Pooj

Pink Pooj

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

I'm happy... I got a NF today and did an AR removal, added new spring, and I added a new o-ring. Shoots 60 feet with stock darts. Also, I got some FBR and attempted to make some stefans and the darts were too big. Is 1/2" too big/ I thought that that was what it was. Any way I cut it, dryer'd it for 10 minutes and they don't shoot at all.

#39 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

You mean 4" length by 7/8" OD by .08" wire gauge right? Why are you using metrics anyhow, you live in Michigan, be proud of our great American system of measurement. Anyways, it was a Handyman #9713 spring, right? I don't think they have any others that are even close to those dimensions. Anyways, if I were you I'd do the same thing umdlancer did, and if it isn't airtight use a better adhesive, like plumber's goop, that is unless you've already used something like that. Also, if I were you I'd try a longer barrel, with a Handyman #9713 spring you should be going with 4" minimum up to maybe even 6" depending on how good your seal is and how tight/loose your barrel fit is on your darts.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#40 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

I'm happy... I got a NF today and did an AR removal, added new spring, and I added a new o-ring. Shoots 60 feet with stock darts. Also, I got some FBR and attempted to make some stefans and the darts were too big. Is 1/2" too big/ I thought that that was what it was. Any way I cut it, dryer'd it for 10 minutes and they don't shoot at all.

I'm going to take a WILD guess and say you bought Frost King foam from Home Depot? They're foam is shit. Buy their 3/8 inch foam. That's the only place where you DON'T buy 1/2 inch.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#41 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:41 PM

I'm going to take a WILD guess and say you bought Frost King foam from Home Depot? They're foam is shit. Buy their 3/8 inch foam. That's the only place where you DON'T buy 1/2 inch.

That's odd. My 1/2" Frost King from ACE fits in CPVC.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#42 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

My Ace doesn't sell Frost King foam. They sell Ace foam. It fits in CPVC like Red FBR in PETG. It's some good shit.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#43 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

That's odd, It DPed.

Ignore this

Edited by xNFx 37, 16 March 2008 - 07:13 AM.

it also has a cock on it

-Chief

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users