Feasibility Question - Multi-barrelled Springer

11 replies to this topic

#1 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

I am relatively new to the whole Nerf modding scene, and I have been doing a lot of thinking. One idea I have had is to build a small, multi-barrelled "shotgun" to integrate into my Longshot, to basically fill the roll of an underslung grenade launcher. (We play indoors, so long ranges aren't all that important, but a nice scattered spread of foam would be capable of clearing a small room or hallway.)

I have found an interesting PVC fitting at www.flexpvc.com. Check it out here:

http://www.flexpvc.c...t=PVC-Manifolds

The third row items are what I am talking about - the "6 port distributors".

My question is, would it be possible to build a plunger behind this thing in 2" pvc, that would keep the whole assembly short enough to fit in the bipod area of a Longshot, and would provide enough power to push darts out of all 6 barrels - or would this just be a waste of time?

I don't want to go with an air-gun for this particular deal, because I don't need long ranges and I want to be able to quickly reload and fire. I'm just not familiar enough with plungers to know if they would provide enough oomph to make this worthwhile. Ideally, I would love to load 2-3 nanos per barrel and fire off a large burst of foam with a 10'-15' range.

Any advice or outright denouncing of this idea (from those who know enough to tell me why it won't work) would be greatly appreciated.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#2 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

Thats a great idea, but the most feasible way(if I were to do it) would be to make a push/pull plunger. If you use the 2" distributer, you can use a cupler(sp?) as the plunger head(see the directory for help). I think it would be a lot easier to forget about a plunger rod, since it would take up too much room, and you can use a rod of some sort for the push/pull system. I hope I helped.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#3 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:19 AM

By "push-pull" do you mean a simple system where you pull back and push forward, with no spring involved? (like how the cheap foam rocket launchers at Wal-Mart work?)

If so, I would prefer not to go that route. I'd like to have something that would be ready to set-off at a moment's notice, just a flick of a switch or button to trigger the full burst. If it can be done that way, that is what I'd like to do.

If that's not what you mean, could you please explain in slightly more detail?
Foam in the Fort IV

#4 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

Interesting pieces!

2" PVC has a good fit with 1.25" endcaps. That's the combination I used to make the "Big SNAP", which would definitely have enough air output for your purposes.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#5 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Carbon, I'll definately refer to your "Big SNAP" when I start work on this then!
Foam in the Fort IV

#6 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

The only way I can sea this working is if you utilise ALL the avalible space whare the ex-bipod was for a plunger, then have the plunger rod "split" so it can avoid the clip. I think that an air powered fireing system would be more effective and easyer to make.

iiiii barrels
i i
i i Plunger tube
O plunger head
i i
i i plunger rod(s)
i clip not being bothered by pr.

I hope this helped. if need be i can try to draw it up in ps.

Edited by P.C. III, 14 March 2008 - 12:27 PM.

QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

A plunger in 2" PVC wouldn't need a great deal of draw to have a high air volume, especially with nanos.

You can do some basic calculations to see if you have enough volume and space. Calculate the total volume of your barrels. Speaking in generalities, your plunger should have roughly four times that volume. Boltsniper figured that ratio when he was building the FAR; you want less range, but have more barrels, so that ratio will probably work for you.

#8 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:42 PM

Maybe you could do it "backwards", so the plunger wasn't even near the clip and instead was at the front, like I think Carbon did in his SNAP-Duo. Picture:
Posted Image

I am not sure if this would work, but you could give it a try. The bad thing would be that the plunger rod would protrude from the front, thus making it possibly breakable.

EDIT: Pictures resized. Also, I realized I forgot to put the catch mech and trigger in, so I guess you'll have to just "imagine" it in. :P

Edited by Salmon, 14 March 2008 - 05:40 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#9 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

I'm trying to think of a solution where there wouldn't even be a plunger rod. What I'm thinking is that the slide would be attached to the rear of the plunger head by a small rod that would go through the plunger head from side to side, and stick out through the sides of the plunger tube to be gripped by the slide as it moves back. If the plunger head is long enough, the O-ring could seat just ahead of the grooves that would be cut for the two ends of this rod, so that no air is lost. Then the spring would fit behind the plunger head and go to the rear of the tube (not far behind where the plunger head's rear comes back to).

Like this:

| |---------|---------| |
| |...||-----|||\..|\..|| |
| |...||-----|||..\|..\|| |
| |---------|---------| |

(periods ... are empty space because the forum doesn't like multiple spaces)

If that doesn't make sense, I can do up a better image later.
Foam in the Fort IV

#10 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

I'm trying to think of a solution where there wouldn't even be a plunger rod. What I'm thinking is that the slide would be attached to the rear of the plunger head by a small rod that would go through the plunger head from side to side, and stick out through the sides of the plunger tube to be gripped by the slide as it moves back. If the plunger head is long enough, the O-ring could seat just ahead of the grooves that would be cut for the two ends of this rod, so that no air is lost. Then the spring would fit behind the plunger head and go to the rear of the tube (not far behind where the plunger head's rear comes back to).

That method works...it's what I did on the SNAP-2. If you're using 2" PVC, you'll still need some manner of guiderod...your spring will wiggle all over the place.

And you're not kidding when you say the plunger head needs to be long enough...mine was something on the order of 7" long.

#11 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:36 PM

Okay, I have a slightly different idea... It would limit you to five active barrels, though. Using the center port of this fitting for the plunger rod housing, you have the plunger rod PUSH the head back in to the tube. So it operates like a normal plunger, but is pushed in to place, from the front, rather than pulled in to place from the back. Then the rod can have it's own return spring and a seal to keep it from losing air pressure out the front hole.

Posted Image
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Feb 21 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

How come no one ever intends to create a pun? Whenever I make a pun it is always intended. There's nothing wrong with puns.

#12 Trevor

Trevor

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • State:New Mexico

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but do you think this site would have anything shaped kind of like this?:

Posted Image

I want to make a Bigger Salvo, but cleaner looking.

EDIT: nevermind I searched "two port" and found this

Posted Image

Edited by Trevor, 14 March 2008 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users