Photo

Home Depot Brass

15 replies to this topic

#1 Tehmandude

Tehmandude

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:49 PM

The brass I find in Home Depot can't hold darts. Even 1/2 in. diameter ones are too wide for it. So how does 17/32 and 9/16 work as a barrel?
QUOTE(umdlancer @ Mar 25 2008, 04:29 AM) View Post

If you accidentally clock somebody with a doubleshot, then you're more liable to break the doubleshot than you are to cause serious injury.

PM me if selling a NIB or LNNB LnL.

#2 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

Barrel sizes vary widely between brands, so just bring a dart with you when choosing barrels to be sure it works.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#3 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

You sure it's brass? Last time I checked Homie D only sold copper, which even I mistook for brass in my wee years....

Brass is gold. Copper is bronze.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#4 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

I've never seen a Home Depot which sold brass. I'm almost positive it's copper, and copper is big.

Try ACE. That's where I get all of mine.

Another description of copper vs. brass: copper looks like it's been peed on, brass looks like it's been freshly milled.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#5 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:08 PM

There was another thread about this recently (I'm just sayin'...).

Firstly, to those beside the original poster: there is another type of brass, sold in some (if not all) hardware stores. But, no, it's not useful as a barrel for micro darts.

Tehmandude, I assume that the brass you found has fairly thick walls...like PVC, almost. This is not the type of brass that is used as barrels. The brass that is usable for micros can only be found in a few places (including Ace, assorted hobby shops, and the internet) and has very thin walls...1/32", if I remember correctly.

As to why your darts don't fit: as near as I can tell, the brass that you saw is sized similarly to 1/2" PVC. They call it 1/2", but it's actually around 5/8" (or even bigger...can't remember for sure). As a side note, 1/2" CPVC (the off-white stuff) is actually a slightly smaller diameter than 17/32" brass.

Again, the brass that you want is thin. Also, it is actually sized the way it's named. So, 17/32" brass is actually 17/32" diameter and 9/16" is really 9/16." 1/2" brass is actually 1/2," and is (very generally speaking) much too tight on most people's darts.

In summary: take one of your darts to the store and try it in stuff. If the dart is really loose, don't buy that material for a barrel. If you're modding a pump-up blaster, use a somewhat loose, smooth barrel...the dart should easily slide in, but not be able to fall out by shaking. For a springer blaster, use a barrel material that is somewhat tighter (it is possible to be too tight). Pick what's best for your darts, not others.

That being said, 17/32" brass, 9/16" brass, 1/2" CPVC, and OneManClan's PETG are good choices to start looking.

Edited by jwasko, 11 March 2008 - 10:19 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:12 PM

Brass is gold. Copper is bronze.

Bwahahahaha, that's a terrible description.

Copper - Notice that it's base color is orange. Will oxidize to dark brown or have green lime buildup.
Posted Image
Brass - Notice that it's base color is a dull wheat yellow. Tarnishes to a medium brown.
Posted Image

Gold has a base color of sunshine yellow. Reflecting color is a pale orange.

Bronze comes in red or dark brown. Surface oxidizes to a muted green.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 11 March 2008 - 10:19 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 Scotch

Scotch

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

The 1/2 that you bought is inside diameter.
9/16 and 17/32 are both outside diameters.
Thats why even though 9/16 and 17/32 are bigger sizes, they're actually smaller due to the fact that thats the measurement of the whole diameter, while the 1/2 you bought is just the diameter of the hole on the inside.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Woah, woah, slow down there buddy. If you put it ALL in your mouth at once you're just gonna gag and get it all over the carpet.

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

The 1/2 that you bought is inside diameter.

Scotch, you're not helping anybody if you make things up. He stated that what he bought was too large for his darts to fit snugly inside of it.
Like brass tubing, copper pipe is not available in precise fractional inner diameters. 1.2 size copper tubing comes with an OD of 5/8" but has different wall thickness options that will give an ID of .527", .545", .555", or .569".

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 March 2008 - 10:20 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#9 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:04 AM

So what's the point of using brass over CPVC or PVC when you do a mod?
Gimme back my bullets....

#10 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:10 AM

Brass comes in a larger variety of sizes, can slide over the next size down off brass to make a breach, and is smoother.
Plus, b it shiny. :unsure:
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#11 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

I have only bought two feet of brass in my life. One of which I have no use for. I have no regrets. That is mostly because: I can't find brass in bulk, I couldn't find any brass when I started modding, and CPVC is much cheaper.
Anyway, I remember looking at my local Menards for brass, and like you I kept thinking that the copper was brass. I spent a really long time looking for brass, until I finally asked an employee and he showed me the brass they had, which was small threaded and in few sizes. I am guessing that you bought copper.

Edited by venom213, 13 March 2008 - 05:54 PM.

#12 Tehmandude

Tehmandude

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

To venom:

I didn't actually buy any, I just couldn't find any.

To OfAllTheNerf:

I tried going to ACE for brass, but I couldn't find any. It was all copper, and the brass that was there wasn't barrel size.

So has anyone tried using Mcmaster brass? I'm going to get that if anybody has tried it and it works, because I don't want to waste money if I order it and it doesn't work.
QUOTE(umdlancer @ Mar 25 2008, 04:29 AM) View Post

If you accidentally clock somebody with a doubleshot, then you're more liable to break the doubleshot than you are to cause serious injury.

PM me if selling a NIB or LNNB LnL.

#13 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:36 AM

What are you using it for?

You might want to consider using PETG. It's a lot cheaper and available through OMC.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#14 donz2323

donz2323

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

To venom:

I didn't actually buy any, I just couldn't find any.

To OfAllTheNerf:

I tried going to ACE for brass, but I couldn't find any. It was all copper, and the brass that was there wasn't barrel size.

So has anyone tried using Mcmaster brass? I'm going to get that if anybody has tried it and it works, because I don't want to waste money if I order it and it doesn't work.

Have you tried ny hobby/modeling stores? The brand is K&S engineering. The brass they have will telescope over each smaller size so it is possible to make tight fitting breeches. The will also hold you darts nice and tight. However it will cost you about 3-5 dollars a foot depending on size. May cost less if you purchased in bulk packages.

Some people on here have use mcmaster brass.

#15 Kabuki

Kabuki

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

Just last night I found that the K&S 9/16" brass fits perfectly inside my 1/2" thin wall (red label, vs. the blue label thick wall) copper pipe. This is welcome news for a couple of my projects, and I thought it might help with some other breach designs.
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Feb 21 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

How come no one ever intends to create a pun? Whenever I make a pun it is always intended. There's nothing wrong with puns.

#16 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

Brass comes in a larger variety of sizes, can slide over the next size down off brass to make a breach, and is smoother.
Plus, b it shiny. :lol:

No, you put it in it to get a tighter fit. No one puts it on the PVC.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users