Sharpshooter 2 Cpvc Mod

9 replies to this topic

#1 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:53 AM

Well, I bought a crayola’d SSII from Conor (Shadowkid) at the Fall DCNO. Its performance made me sad, and I decided to remod it.

Materials-

Sharp Shooter II
Glue
1/8” drill bit
~2” of ½” PVC
8” of ½” cpvc
Teflon tape
Silicone spray
Screwdriver
New spring
Dremel
Pipe cutter

Open up the blaster. The internals are pretty strait forward. The green slider moves the small black bar, which blocks one barrel and opens the other. This is a near post-picture of the mod, but before the only difference was crayola barrels.

Posted Image

The first thing I did was replace the barrels. I cut my cpvc a bit longer than the white tubes, although you’ll probably want about 4” barrels.

Posted Image

Glue those in.
I don’t have a picture of this next step, because I didn’t really think it was important, but I believe that it is. Take the white tubes with the barrels, and widen the holes at the back with your drill bit. Then take the barrel selector, and widen the holes that lead to the barrels. Be sure not to hit the selector piece itself, or make the hole so wide that the barrel selector doesn’t make a seal.

Now let’s take a look at the spring. It’s all right, but I’d like more power out of it. I eventually put an Ace #54 spring (the same as a 49, but labeled differently) on the plunger rod. Here are 3 springs. From left to right are the 54, a stock nitefinder spring, and the original SSII spring.

Posted Image

Now, however, the power is wasted. So get out your teflon tape and wrap it around the plunger head. After I had mine wrapped, I took the tip of my glue gun and melted the end of the tape, so it won’t come unraveled.

Posted Image

Now what?

Posted Image

Put everything back together.

Posted Image

When it’s closed, take your ½” PVC, and dremel out the ID until it slides over your barrels. Using the PIPE CUTTER (for a much cleaner, even cut) cut the PVC into 2 1” sections. Slide them over the barrels, and glue them down. This keeps the barrels more or less straight. I wasn’t quick enough with the bottom barrel.

Posted Image

RANGES-
The top barrel averages 36 feet, and the lower gets 41 feet. Not magical, but better than the 15 or so that I was getting.

This has been an Aslan Arms production.
Questions? Comments? Flames?

Edited by lionhead333, 03 April 2008 - 05:42 AM.

QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#2 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:02 AM

I've been looking for a decent sidearm for awhile. I think I found it.

I've been lookin for one for awhile... Anyways, glad you kept the barrel selector.

Nice mod. Very descriptive, easy to understand as well.

Edited by xNFx 37, 10 March 2008 - 06:02 AM.

it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#3 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:47 AM

I'm a little confused by the ranges. I haven't done a spring replacement and I get slightly better range out of both barrels. Both of mine hit into the 40's consistently. The only thing that I've done differently is that I used electrical tape instead of silicone tape.

EDIT: I also should mention that I have two SSII's. One of them has 1/2" CPVC barrels and the other has nested brass. They both get almost the same ranges (I think the nested brass gets a few extra feet), but the brassed SSII is far more consistent and accurate.

Edited by frost vectron, 10 March 2008 - 06:48 AM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#4 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

NF- I'm glad you like it. I actually had this writeup on my computer for a couple months, I just never got around to posting it. This is a great pistol, and if I didn't have a Lock 'N Load, I would use this. I probably will anyway, just not as often.

Frost- Yes, but I've had bad luck with nerf guns. Both of my magstrikes had factory defects, every blaster I get off ebay is in much worse shape than described, and this just had superglue everywhere. I melted it off, but I'm sure it didn't help ranges.
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#5 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

Didn't cX get almost 70 foot ranges from his nested brass version? He singled it, but with a barrel selecter you aren't LOSING air, are you?
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#6 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

Didn't cX get almost 70 foot ranges from his nested brass version? He singled it, but with a barrel selecter you aren't LOSING air, are you?

You lose quite a bit of air. The barrel selector has a tiny little hole for the air to go through, and provides a poor seal between the plunger tube and barrel.
On my SSII, I kept the stock spring, drilled some small holes in the front of the case and put a bungee on it. I also used PETG (~4 1/2", I think) I haven't rolled out a tape measure and tested it officially, but eyeballed it looks like it hits around 50'. And if I remember right, one barrel shoots further than the other.

#7 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Very nice. I recently got one of these, and am contemplating different modifications to perform on it. They definitely are great sidearms. I also like how you kept both barrels. Without keeping the barrel selector it's basically an under-powered, over-sized NF.

I'm a little confused by the ranges. I haven't done a spring replacement and I get slightly better range out of both barrels. Both of mine hit into the 40's consistently. The only thing that I've done differently is that I used electrical tape instead of silicone tape.

EDIT: I also should mention that I have two SSII's. One of them has 1/2" CPVC barrels and the other has nested brass. They both get almost the same ranges (I think the nested brass gets a few extra feet), but the brassed SSII is far more consistent and accurate.

How long were the nested parts in your brassed SSII? (I'm assuming you used 4" of main barrel material).

Again, nice job.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#8 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

Wait, so you're saying that a modded SSII could only shoot 15 feet? Both of my stock ones shoot better. Anyway, nice mod.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#9 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:42 PM

I recall getting better ranges after gluing the barrels onto the selector itself.

The selector doesn't really cause you to lose too much air, but the problem is that it constricts the air a pretty good amount.

As far as my brass barrels go, I didn't exactly measure them. I sort of eyeballed it and did it. I had about 2.5" of 17/32" brass inside of 4" or 4.5" 9/16" brass.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#10 Noob Modder

Noob Modder

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

1. great mod.
if i had an SS2 i'd do this mod and muse it as a sidearm, but i normally use my nitefinder, (nicknamed "odin" after the norse god who sacrificed his left (or right, i cant remember which) eye for knowledge. i named it this because i got shot with it in my left eye and i couldn't see from that eye fro 10 mins. :P ) with some mods on it.
--DMQ
"i gots da good grammers"
"the only thing we have to fear is if the ninjas are coming!"
"mr. macho super-hero serial killer lemur-bear."
i am ninja-pwner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users