Attempt To Repair A Sm1k Air Tank.

Super glue got in the tank, and I'm trying to fix it

8 replies to this topic

#1 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

I modded my Supermaxx 1000 last Friday and I used hot glue to stick a O-ring on the front of the tank. Eventually it got blown off and I put it back on with super glue. But to my horror, I accidentally got a drop or two of super glue inside the air tank. Completely ruined the airtight seal it had. I tried to get it out with a Q-tip and some nail polish remover but that didn't help at all. But I wasn't going to give up on the beastly tank just yet. I poured some Mountain Dew and set to work with a hacksaw. I took some pictures so in case I couldn't fix it, it might help people with similar problems.

Here's the tank cut in half. As you can see, it's got a pile of super glue on the seal.

Posted Image

A picture of the pieces inside (spring, half tank, and seal).

Posted Image

And the other half of the tank.

Posted Image

Eventually I got the super glue off with nail polish remover, a screwdriver, and my fingernail. But also it lost a thin layer of rubber from pulling away the glue. I put the seal into the end of the tank and blew into the back of it. Still leaks a bit, but it's improved a lot.

Posted Image

My next plan is to put some O-rings inside the tank to finish the seal. Then close it up with plumber's goop and a strip of pop bottle plastic gooped around the outside of the tank.

I'm sure every SM1K enthusiast out there is cringing at my infinite stupidity. But does anybody have some suggestions or requests while I've got the tank open? If I can, I'd like to turn this repair into an improvement somehow.

Edited by oodalumps, 10 March 2008 - 06:56 AM.

#2 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:46 PM

I poured some Mountain Dew and set to work with a hacksaw.

Dew is totally the fuel of modding isn't it?

anyway.., you seem to be on the right track, but I can't really tell. I'm still trying to get my 1k's rotation mech to work, I took it apart over a year ago now though... so I dunno... if that doesn't work out, you could try replacing it with a 2k tank they're about the same size.

best of Luck.

-bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#3 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

anyway.., you seem to be on the right track, but I can't really tell. I'm still trying to get my 1k's rotation mech to work, I took it apart over a year ago now though... so I dunno... if that doesn't work out, you could try replacing it with a 2k tank they're about the same size.

best of Luck.

-bags

I tried to keep the rotation mechanism working by reinforcing pieces of the trigger. Breaking wasn't a problem, but it was just so hard to pull the trigger. I ended up taking it out and made it a habit to spin the turret manually.

Edited by oodalumps, 09 March 2008 - 06:15 PM.

#4 KyleDarklighter

KyleDarklighter

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

Well I had to do a similar operation to my SM5K recently. The 2 peices of the release plug came apart. Once I cut it open and reglued them together I used epoxy to join the 2 halves then fiberglass with cheese cloth to reenforce it and seal the seam. It actually works better than it has in a few years. Unfortunately I did not document the process.

Garrett

#5 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

Not sure if this helps, but nail polish will weaken and get rid of any super glue.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#6 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

Not sure if this helps, but nail polish will weaken and get rid of any super glue.

I heard nail polish remover works, and that's what I used. I imagine nail polish would make it worse.

So does anybody have some advice for making it air-tight again? If I'm to use a O-ring on the inside of the tank, what kind should I look for? (Thin, thick, large, small, etc.)

Edited by oodalumps, 09 March 2008 - 08:26 PM.

#7 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

Neoprene washers. Look at Carbon's homemades, it's what he uses on all of his to create a seal.

#8 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

If you could give me the demensions for it, I might have one. I just saw it in my dad's parts drawers. It is rubber, pointy at the top, and flat on the other side. What I'm saying is, you replace your superglued rubber seal with a new one. I just happen to have one, which means you MIGHT be able to get it at a hardware store. Not sure though.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#9 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

I would also look into a small rubber cork. If you can find one with a small enough diameter and a high enough angle, it should work.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users