Photo

Whats The Best Kind Of Sealant

25 replies to this topic

#1 DragonX

DragonX

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Ok I realize this might sound kinda dumb. I'm making my own Gun, but i don't know what kind of sealant to use. I have tried using hot glue in the past but that is a horrible airtight seal it breaks after a few shots or when its twisted wrong. Is epoxy any good? I really need to know the best kind of air sealant there is that is affordable for some one with a low budget. <_< Thank you for helping

#2 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

Depends on what your making it with, be a little more specific.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#3 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

Well, what kind of materials are you using to make the gun?
Also, search.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#4 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

Epoxy putty works great.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#5 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

Epoxy putty is a bad sealant: it is not liquid so it cannot seep into every crack really.

If you want something that can work for almost anything, I suggest Plumber's Goop. If you are doing PVC though, nothing beats PVC cement + primer.
igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#6 DragonX

DragonX

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

First off thanks I can never get that freaking search to work on my computer. Im using some tubing (I think its 1/4), a couple garden hose fixtures (y splitter and a nozzle attachment with a ball valve), a ball pump and some kind of air holding tank (haven't figured that out yet). I'll post pics when i get it drawn up in full.

#7 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

Plumbers goop is definitely the best glue if you want an airtight seal.
QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Apr 29 2008, 01:24 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kid Flash @ Apr 27 2008, 06:11 PM) View Post

What is the best way to go at removing a stump without any power tools? Thanks ahead of time!

Be a man! Use your hands!

#8 pizlo

pizlo

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

yeah, Plumbers goop, low vi(something that means runny) epoxy, jb weld might work.

#9 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

About Plumbers Goop, what exactly is it's real name? As is brand and so forth. A while back when I went to Home Depot and asked several employees where this product was, they said they didn't have it and had never heard of it.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#10 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

About Plumbers Goop, what exactly is it's real name? As is brand and so forth. A while back when I went to Home Depot and asked several employees where this product was, they said they didn't have it and had never heard of it.

http://www.amazinggo...goop/index.html

The plumber's variety.
It's in the purple tube with PLUMBER'S on it.

Lowes and K-Mart have it.

Edited by Peter, 06 March 2008 - 05:54 PM.

igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#11 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

Thanks, Peter, I'll be sure to try to find it at Lowes the next time I go there.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#12 Scotch

Scotch

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

I am here to verify that Plumber's Goop Kicks Ass and Epoxy Putty sucks.

-Scotch
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Woah, woah, slow down there buddy. If you put it ALL in your mouth at once you're just gonna gag and get it all over the carpet.

#13 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

Pizlo the word you were looking for was viscosity.
QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#14 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

Do you get bad fumes with plumber's goop? I would like to try it, but I live in a dorm and I want to make sure that it won't be too much of a smelly, disgusting mess. I've had bad experiences with pvc cement and stuff like that.
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#15 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

Any decent adhesive will fume (and yes, they are toxic). Do it on a balcony or by a window and have a fan blowing over it and out the window.

Edited by frost vectron, 06 March 2008 - 07:08 PM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#16 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

On a scale of 1-10 of smelliness.
1 being low stink = the smell of a homeless mans ear
and 10 being high stink= the smell of a homeless mans penis after having sex with a toxic sewer rat.

I would put plumbers goop around 3 and pvc cement around 10
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#17 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

Funny how I read this post right after applying some goop, anyways plumber's goop is EXTREMELY reliable if you apply it right and you are patient. It may take two-three days to reach maximum strength. Also it smells way better than epoxy putty, but you should be very careful while putting it on I’d suggest wearing a bandana or something like that. Make sure if you're going to maneuver it with your hands to wash really good because you do NOT want it in your body. Wow im guessing one of you sickos
are going to sig that...
EJ

Oh yeah and i forgot to ask, why this is in modifications?

Edited by ejrasmussen, 06 March 2008 - 08:47 PM.

#18 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

Yeah, Plumbers Goop is definitely the way to go. It's not that bad smelling, but the smell lingers for a week or so after it's dried (atleast in my experience). I've actually developed a liking to the smell... That's kinda scary now that I think about it.

Make sure if you’re going to maneuver it with your hands to wash really good because you do NOT want it in your body.

Yeah, cancer here I come.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#19 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

Plumber's goop is the right stuff for the job. I'm a fan of epoxy putty too, but it's not made for sealing, it's better for structural applications.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#20 Scotch

Scotch

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

On a scale of 1-10 of smelliness.
1 being low stink = the smell of a homeless mans ear
and 10 being high stink= the smell of a homeless mans penis after having sex with a toxic sewer rat.

I would put plumbers goop around 3 and pvc cement around 10

I was just about to post that.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Woah, woah, slow down there buddy. If you put it ALL in your mouth at once you're just gonna gag and get it all over the carpet.

#21 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:59 PM

I've used silicone caulk, but when I get the chance I'm going to buy some Plumbers Goop. Everyone around here praises it, and I'm sure theres a reason for that.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#22 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:22 PM

I think people are confusing their terms here. To get the most reliable seal between parts you need two components. A strong mechanical or molecular bond and sealant filler to cover minute gaps.

If you use the correct adhesives to bond pressure materials designed the be solvent welded together you will accomplish both requirements. However epoxys and other strong adhesives can only give you the molecular bond component. And similarly sealants can only give you the filler you need to cover minute gaps.

Plumber's Goop is labeled as an "Epoxy Sealant" but is meant to be applied to threaded pipe and pipe fittings as a substitute for teflon tape. It is not a terribly effective adhesive for creating molecular bonds that will survive pressure. It can only help patch very small crevices that create slow leaks.
If you are trying to use it to bond and seal thin wall unthreaded copper or brass tubing, don't. Those typically should only be joined and sealed using silver or lead solder, which you have to apply using a butane torch and generous application of flux.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 06 March 2008 - 11:25 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#23 DragonX

DragonX

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:45 PM

When you say "plumbers goop" I take that you mean the plumbing goop not the automotive, craft, etc. Thank you for clarifying I REALLY don't want to get the wrong kind.

#24 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

"Plumber's Goop" come in many different brands. The tube I have is the Loctite brand "Stik 'n Seal"
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#25 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

I still swear by DevCon Plastic Weld Epoxy. It works on most metals too. I have yet to find an application where it didn't work perfectly...give it a try! I've used it when other epoxy has failed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users