Planning Armageddon

29 replies to this topic

#1 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:30 AM

“And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared. And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame. And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.” Revelation 16:12-16

Now that you, like every theologian on earth, have no idea what that really means, let's get down to the nitty gritty.

I know it's early, but for the sake of the sizable East coast contingent searching for affordible air fare, let's get a date hammered out. This is not a war to discuss anything aside from the date, so don't waste my time.

I don't care who you are; if you are not seriously planning on attending this war, posting ANYTHING may get you muted. Tread Lightly.

Now 'Geddon usually takes placed around the first weekend in July, so I will tentatively nominate July 5th. Let's see who can make it and when.

VACC
~And another, a red horse, went out; and to him who sat on it, it was granted to take peace from the earth, and that men should slay one another; and a great sword was given to him. (Revelation 6:3-4).~

#2 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

I haven't looked online yet, but I would have to imagine that flights on July 4th weekend are going to be higher than the surrounding weekends, so maybe that weekend wouldn't be the greatest.

Other than that, I don't seem to have issues with any particular weekend. It would just be a matter of me getting a Friday off from work, and with a couple months notice, that shouldn't be an issue.
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

#3 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

I'd like to make it out again this year, but realistically the only weekend I think I can do is July 5.

Did a quick check -

Expedia (Newark to Ontario - one stop - roundtrip)

June 27-29 - $375

July 4-6 - $350

July 11-13 - $390

Priceline (same specs)

June 27-29 - $370

July 4-6 - None

July 11-13 - $380

Hotwire (same specs)

June 27-29 - $400+

July 4-6 - $390

July 11-13 - $400+

Hotels (same specs)

June 27-29 - $400+

July 4-6 - $395

July 11-13 - $400+

Surprisingly it doesn't appear, at this point, to matter which of these three weekends we pick, but I think that will probably change within a month or so, so let's get a date set now.

Edited by RAMBO, 04 March 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#4 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

If any Easties are going coast to coast, I can put at least 2-3 of you up for the night if need somewhere to rest. I would also like to plan a war around when the easties are going coast to coast so that I cna have a decently large war down here.

Damnit Cole, based on the typical flight patterns, they're not going to stop in New Mexico just for you.

anyways, I'm game for just about any Saturday. I should be able to secure lodging for a few of ya'all at my grandparent's house (in glendora, about 10 min from walnut) if Kevin doesn't have the space for a large group, and I'm totally game for picking people up at Ontario Airport.

Also, I've mentioned this before in a previous 'geddon thread, but My grandparents also have a giant back yard, and we could totally just grab some tents and have a Nerf Shanty town set up.

just offering it up.

-Bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#5 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

Also, I've mentioned this before in a previous 'geddon thread, but My grandparents also have a giant back yard, and we could totally just grab some tents and have a Nerf Shanty town set up.

just offering it up.

-Bags

How come none of you west coasters want us inside your homes? I'm not traveling to California to go camping. I need a good night sleep in a comfortable bed or couch in a comfortable house.

I can pretty much do any of those dates but I would like to keep the price under $400 or my Daddy won't pay for it. :(

General Cole I will totally take you up on that offer.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:37 PM

You bet your boots I'm going. I have no preference on date and I'll sleep anywhere that I am permitted to. Just give me a bunch of cardboard boxes and I'll call it a night (after building a fort).

Edit: I have no preference on which date.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 March 2008 - 09:35 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

I'll be doing my best to make it out this year. I'm quitting my job by the end of may, and I may or may not start grad school by then. I will let everyone know, but my decision on going will not be made until MUCH closer to the date. So, schedule around others before me. It's never been about money for me. Besides, I think I can write off the trip if I charge it correctly through my own company.
I hate you.

#8 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

I love it how there's been steadily more interest in attendance coming from the East Coast than the "Tainted" Coast these past couple years. I mean, shit. It's your side of the country, isn't it?

Yeah, any dates work for me at this point. Early July has worked pretty well in the past.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#9 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

Ok, I just took a more in depth look at the flights, and there aren't any weekends that I can't find a reasonable flight, so I am officially game for any weekend the wrong coasters are good for.

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

Edit: Screw SkyBus. Their website is retarded.

For those that want direct flights check http://www.kayak.com

Edited by CaptainSlug, 04 March 2008 - 10:03 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#11 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

If any Ohio Nerfers want to attend Armageddon this year Skybus has round-trip flights from Columbus to LAX for around $170.

They also fly out of
+ Philedelphia
+ New York/Stewart
+ Boston, MA
+ Richmond, VA
+ Greensboro, NC
and Toronto/Niagara

However, those locations do have to connect through Columbus, OH. Those short connecting flights are really cheap though (starting at $25)

if you guys can plan on flying into Ontario Airport, it would probably be easier for those of us willing to pick people up. (I know that's true of me, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's true for anyone but spoon...since he lives in LA...then again... we'll be lucky if spoon comes before lunch)

Edited by baghead, 04 March 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#12 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

My parents said if the date is good, and I save enough money for a me and a parent, I can go. The cheapest date is good for me :D I can save the money, I just don't know if one of my parents would let me go cross country for a Nerf war...
Timothy M-Lick <3

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

if you guys can plan on flying into Ontario Airport, it would probably be easier for those of us willing to pick people up. (I know that's true of me, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's true for anyone but spoon...since he lives in LA...then again... we'll be lucky if spoon comes before lunch)

Most flights to LAX are atleast $100 cheaper than flying into ONT.
For those that can only fly into LAX there are shuttle options
Supposedly there's a free SkyWest LAX-ONT shuttle that runs every 15 minutes. I'll try to find more info on that.

Otherwise a Prime Time shuttle one-way service inbetween the two airports is $41 per person or $88 for up to 7 people (if reserved more than 2 hours in advance). Rate will probably be the same for the area surrounding the airport.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 04 March 2008 - 10:10 PM.

#14 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

If any Ohio Nerfers want to attend Armageddon this year Skybus has round-trip flights from Columbus to LAX for around $170.

They also fly out of
+ Philedelphia
+ New York/Stewart
+ Boston, MA
+ Richmond, VA
+ Greensboro, NC
and Toronto/Niagara

However, those locations do have to connect through Columbus, OH. Those short connecting flights are really cheap though (starting at $25)

Off topic, I actually know the owner of Skybus. He lives in my hometown. But thanks for finding those fares, Nerfmonkey and I were talking about making the trip out with you guys. $170 wouldn't be bad at all for a round trip ticket, and I'll be working again by then so money shouldn't be an issue. Fifth of July looks good for me as of now.

For the guys that fly out, do you normally do a day before, day after deal? Like, fly in on Friday, nerf, sleep, then fly back on Sunday?

#15 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

So I'm super stoked to announce that I am planning on coming to this year's Armageddon. July 5th isn't a bad day, but the next weekend would be better. I'll be celebrating the Fourth of July in D.C. and I don't want to be up late with fireworks and then catch a plane and be in L.A. with no sleep for a full day of NERFing. I'm not whining or anything, I just think it makes more sense, logistically, not to have it the day after Fourth of July. Late Night + Long Traveling + Early Morning + Long Day in the Sun = A lot of fun, but nearly as much fun as NERFing on at least six hours of sleep. What do you guys think? Also, just throwing this out there, it will probably get shut down, but, how about a weekday? I know it bucks tradition and everything, but in the Summer I normally work Saturdays (a lot of other guys do to, I know) and airfare is about half the price if you travel midweek. Again, just throwing it out there.

Edit: Unless I'm mistaken, the SkyBus fares are one way. If you click on a departing and returning date, it adds the total together and gives you a total of $340+fees.

Edited by imaseoulman, 04 March 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#16 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

Chalk me down as another possible Ohio participant. I got really excited when I saw the $170 round trip... but alas, it was no good. I'll be keeping an eye out for cheap(ish) flights, though.

Also, I should be able to offer a couple parking spots at my house (in Columbus) for Ohio people if they wanted to park there and just get a ride over to the airport (and not have to deal with parking there over the weekend). That would probably only really be useful if people were going to travel to Columbus on Thursday night and leave early Friday. Either way, just throwing that out there.

Edited by Jedijoe9, 04 March 2008 - 10:52 PM.

"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#17 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:56 PM

For the guys that fly out, do you normally do a day before, day after deal? Like, fly in on Friday, nerf, sleep, then fly back on Sunday?

That's generally what we do. Last year OMC and I flew from Newark at some ungodly hour and had a stopover in Dallas (?) where we met Kuhlschrank. We got into ONT early afternoon and cxwq picked us+Groove up. We got our guns in the mail and hit the war on Saturday. We left pretty early on Sunday morning from ONT then. Groove has chronicled this trip the past two years - see his sig for video links.

Shit though, if we get half the Easties that are interested actually in attendance, the Easties will outnumber the Westies ( at least, in terms of registered members ).

Edited by RAMBO, 04 March 2008 - 11:57 PM.

#18 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:06 AM

Also, just throwing this out there, it will probably get shut down, but, how about a weekday?

if you're up for coming out on a weekday, but playing on the sat, I'm sure we could muster some of the soCal Crew and like go to some random theme park and give you a little more than just the Fly in, mod/make darts, nerf your ass off, fly home thing.

Shit though, if we get half the Easties that are interested actually in attendance, the Easties will outnumber the Westies ( at least, in terms of registered members ).

But we have plenty of awesome players who aren't on the forums. like hubbard or tone-dogg for example. Never on the forums, but just as well known.

-bags

#19 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

The majority of the east coast guys will NOT fly out on a weekday. Just not gonna happen. Oh, and keep this shit on topic. If you are not discussing WHEN this is going down and are SERIOUS about coming (I don't give a shit if your mom said maybe for your birthday she'll give you $50 bucks and you're thinking about a summer job cleaning the windows at peep shows to cover the rest of the trip and you'd really like to get to this thing one year...just shut the fuck up). Lynx already is gone for a week as is his post, and if you have seen any of your posts disapear from this thread, consider yourself warned. Baggs, I'm glad you can put some people up, but we haven't gotten that far yet, and I really don't need 10 posts about your grandma's basement at this juncture. Don't reply to this, let's just get the dates straightened out first.

#20 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:10 AM

Aloha!

Managed to find my way onto the internets, and was greeted by this lovely discussion.

There's no reason to start a separate planning thread later on, so VACC, at your leisure, feel free to rename the thread accordingly to point all interested, locals and otherwise, to here.

I can and will gladly house a number of the travelers if needed, and can also provide shuttling services to/from airports.

VACC, if you could also copy over the address that's in the most recent YANO planning thread to the first post, I'd be much obliged. I'd do it myself, but I'm on a friend's new iPhone and neither of us has the slightest clue how to copy text on said internets. When I'm back on the mainland and back to my compy after choir tour (probably monday evening) I'll re-join the discussion. Feel free to ask anything, and if Bags can't answer it I will when I get back.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#21 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

No, start a new topic for that shit. I need to know the date, and I'm not interested in the other details at the moment.

#22 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

<treading lightly> So, July 5th has been suggested as a possible date. Due to it being the day after the fourth of July, and the fourth of July is a holiday celebrated, typically, late at night, I suggested July 12th. Which do you guys prefer:
July 5th
July 12th
or some other date?

#23 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:16 PM

Aside from me and VACC ( both prefer 5th ), and you ( prefer 12th ), I see no one else with a preference...

#24 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

No, we are waiting for Falcon, who has organized the war for the past couple years, to get back from vacation or whatever, and then we can have input from the nerfers in the state holding the war.

Then, we'll bully them into picking the best date for us.

#25 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

No, we are waiting for Falcon, who has organized the war for the past couple years, to get back from vacation or whatever, and then we can have input from the nerfers in the state holding the war.

Then, we'll bully them into picking the best date for us.

Falcon's out of town for a good while longer (school trip to Hawaii), and I'm in direct contact with the bulk of who's active around here (including our only known link to spoon, via hubbard), and we share equal authority over SCUN affairs. Which means, like falcon said, I should be able to handle 99.9 percent of questions. we don't need to sit here waiting for him to come back just to settle on a date.

anyway....

I have to go with imaseoulman's reasoning for issues with the fifth, I'm positive that the bulk of us out here won't have a problem with that date, but there are plenty of issues with travel for many in terms of pre-made plans for fourth of july weekend. after putting in some more thought, I'm almost certain we'll even lose some rather reliable locals if we set the date for the 5th.

Therefore, I propose we aim for the 12th, if not the following week,but that would put us well into july (the weather only gets shittier the further into it we go) or perhaps make it earlier, the last weekend of June, and set the date for the 28th.

Feedback much?

-bags

Edited by baghead, 07 March 2008 - 08:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users